Help

ARCHIVE

20 weeks pregnant

>

kbrown

20 weeks pregnant
Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am 20 weeks pregnant today and I teach 7th and 8th grade. I just told my principals that I am pregnant because I am just starting to show. They were both very supportive and excited. I was feeling good about the whole thing, but haven't said anything to my students or other teachers yet. Today during one of my classes I intercepted a note that two girls were writing. I didn't read it until after class and when I did I was horrified. They were writing about me and how they thought I looked pregnant...not too bad until they start writing about HOW I became pregnant. It was totally inappropriate and had some very disturbing information in it that I do not think 8th graders should know. The things they wrote about me were pretty harsh, but realizing they are kids that isn't the part that I am concerned about. I think that I should turn the note over to the VP so he can do something about it but I don't want him thinking I am doing it because of the things they wrote about me. I don't know what I should do, I thought about calling their parents, but again I don't want them thinking that I am taking this personally. Any suggestions?

kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherTim

TeacherTim

Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not sure what it could have said, but if it's offended you, turn it over the VP. Whether it's because what they said about you or not, if it was disrespectful, it shouldn't have been written without consequences. VP will know how to handle it best!

TexTeacher

Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd turn it over. We once had a 4th grade teacher intercept a note from 2 of her students giving a detailed account of what they thought that teacher would be doing on her honeymoon (she was days away from getting married). It was too graphic to not turn over to the principal.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Understand your concern
Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Teenage pregnancy is a huge problem. If these girls seem to know more than is appropriate, yes you need to take action.

Could you discuss this w/your school guidance counselor? He or she might have an idea on the best way to go about this.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

TommysMommy

Confused.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you afraid that the VP will assume you're taking it personally and that's the only reason you would hand over a disgusting, inappropriate note written by 13 year-old girls? Please don't be.

If I were the parent, and my child was writing disgusting things about her teacher and sharing it with another student, I'd want to know immediately.

I would verbally explain the situation to the VP and ask how you should proceed from there. It may be a tad uncomfortable for you, but I would want to sit down with both parents separately from the girls and then sit down together to discuss it. The parents should be advised that their daughters' behavior may be indicative of other more serious concerns. Its also possible that they just watch too much inappropriate TV at home... who knows? God forbid... what if they have personal experience with the things they described in the note!

Sadly, I had a similar experience happen to me when I was pregnant. I reported it and the student was suspended for a week since our district has a zero tolerance policy for sexual harrassment.

TommysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

kbrown

Unfortunate
Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The funny thing is I ended up doing exactly what you suggested before I read your post, and the unfortunate conclusion was the girls are now suspended for 3 days. The VP was so supportive as was the principal. The parents of the girls were horrified, but very supportive. The girls were so embarrassed and regretful and I know I did the right thing but I feel really crappy about it. The VP said he would move the girls to another class if that is what it took to make me feel comfortable that it was my best interest that they had in mind. It's just a bad deal and hopefully they learned something from it.
kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

TommysMommy

Please don't feel bad.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It sounds like the students involved are overall good kids but made a very foolish mistake. I hope you realize that firm policies against sexual harassment, even in this context, are a GOOD thing and work only when they're enforced. I'm wondering if 3 days suspension for this was extreme, especially if these kids had clean records and the parents were willing to deal with it at home... but that's not for me to say. To overlook it entirely would have been the WRONG thing, and administration MUST act on these matters to protect teachers and students.

Now that the damage was done and the punishment has been given, hopefully the students will avoid these situations in the future and encourage their peers to do the same.

I think you did the right thing, 100%.
TommysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote