Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Mock Trial Questions

>

Mrs. P

Mock Trial Questions
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am about to do a unit in my Civics class utilizing Mock Trials. I have some great scripts but was wondering if anyone has seen any online videos I could use first to show the kids what a Mock Trial looks and sounds like.

Mrs. P is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't done one in years (don't teach social studies any more), but mock trial such a great project. Your post encouraged me to do a little web search and got me thinking that maybe I could do one in my Language Arts classes. Involves so many Common Core standards

You may have already seen these!

I'm sure you are looking for a freebie, but you can get one here for as little as $15. These are college kids, though.
http://www.collegemocktrial.org/resources/videos.php

This one is free
http://www.nysba.org/Content/Navigat..._101_Progr.htm

This is a 5 min clip from a mock trial posted on YouTube. There might be a lot more on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzAzMle2mLA

http://vimeo.com/5575876

You mentioned that you have materials, but also saw this Toolbox of forms on teachers pay teachers for free
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/P...or-Mock-Trials
You may have to register on the teachers pay teachers site if you're not already, but it's free to do so and a source of so many great resources.

Have fun!
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

kbrown

Tell-tale heart Mock Trial
Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Each year my kids read Tell-Tale Heart and we do a mock trial using this story. We put the main character on trial, and we make up other people like the old man's daughter and caretaker of the house. It is so fun, and the kids LOVE it!!! It is definitely something you can do in Language Arts!
kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Doc Dread

Court is now in session
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow, what timing. I just started my civics trial project this week. I give students, 4 to a group, a real life frivoulous lawsuit case (like spilling coffee on oneself and trying to sue the store). As an intro to debates we will do next month, our trial cases have open ended formats. Each group of 4 has two lawyers and 2 litigants (Defense and Plaintiff side), any extra student in the group can choose a side and be a witness. The lawyers develop at least 5 questions they will ask their client (to help their side win). Next, they develop 5 questions they will ask the opposing side (the opposing side must ad lib responses on the spot the day of trials).

To shorten 3 weeks worth of content in this post, we choose a jury (I am the judge), they bring in props as evidence and we run through the actual format of a real court proceeding. That format would be 1. choose jury members 2. lawyers give opening statements 3. litigants questioned and crossexamined 4. present evidence 5. jury deliberates 6. verdict (winners get extra credit, hung jury just regular grade).

With this format, 2 groups could have the same case with entirely different questions, arguments, and outcomes.

Bottom line, while youtube will have some good video mock examples, if you rub the creative juices together, you can develop a functional mock trial format of your own. Good luck.
Doc
Doc Dread is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. P

Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much. There is much on the web and I so appreciate the fact that you researched some good sites!

Mrs. P

Telltale Heart
Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great idea. I teach multi-age and our cycle brings us to TTH in two years. I will keep this in mind!

Mrs. P

Judge
Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think I will be the judge to start and then turn it over to my 8th graders. ( I teach 6-8 multi-age) hanks for your great response.