Help

Daily 5

Mini-Lesson Assessment

>

cooper5

Mini-Lesson Assessment
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school will be implementing Daily 5/CAFE this September and my main concern is how we connect the mini-lesson to their reading. After the mini-lesson it seems that I'm working with them on another strategy/skill in either a strategy group or conference (toward their goal). I don't understand how they are practicing/applying information from the mini-lesson. How do I know they are getting it? I'm not referring to worksheets but how to assess their mastery or lack thereof of the mini-lesson strategy/skill. I also don't want to assess 2-4 days later when I have a conference with them.

Thanks in advance!

cooper5 is offline   Reply With Quote

9love2teach9

Assessing
Old 07-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi cooper5,
I know for me much of the time what I covered in my mini lesson many of my children need me to work with them on the skill so I do that. I also assign tasks that complement my skills in their station work. One thing I feel that helps is that we will visit that skill repeatedly throughout the year so they will have multiple times to visit and practice the skill.

For example, if my lesson is on character development, I might have them do an activity on how a character is changing in a story from what they are reading in Read to Self. With Read to Someone I might have them work with their partner and fill out a Venn Diagram comparing and contrasting a particular character trait. For work on writing they can write a paragraph about a character they can relate to because they have experienced some of the same feelings as that character.

The more you do Daily 5 the easier it becomes.
I hope this helped you a bit.
9love2teach9 is offline   Reply With Quote

cooper5

9love2teach9
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks that helps! I do have another question though, does this mean that when you are conferring with them....you are working on the mini lesson or on their own goal? After reading both Daily 5 and CAFE I just felt like there were 3 different things being worked on (mini-lesson, individual goals during conferences, and a different strategy during small group) and I couldn't figure out how to assess if they were understanding/applying the mini-lesson.

This sounds confusing (just how I feel)

colleague

Make the rounds
Old 07-24-2012, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

after you teach the strategy through the mini lesson (such as go back and reread, i teach grade one so this is an important comprehension strategy) you can confer one on one with the students as well as small groups to see if they are using the strategy. Observe snipits of their reading and/or writing as you make the rounds and you can observe whether they are using the strategy or not. Write it all down too.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote

cooper5

colleague
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So do you get to all your students either 1-on-1 or in small groups the same day you teach the mini-lesson?

iluv3rd

This is my confusion too!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

[QUOTE]After reading both Daily 5 and CAFE I just felt like there were 3 different things being worked on (mini-lesson, individual goals during conferences, and a different strategy during small group) and I couldn't figure out how to assess if they were understanding/applying the mini-lesson.[\QUOTE]

I've been doing a modified Daily 3 for years. I can't quite figure out how to manage this!
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

colleague

You do not necessarily
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

have to get to all the students that day but keep track of the mini lessons you teach and keep notes on what you see. You can use the touch point system the sisters mention to keep track of things. I can usually get to about 3/4 of my class in one day doing one on one and if I do small groups I can get to more students more quickly, but I usually have no more than about 15 students in my class and I do 3 rounds a day.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote

deedeedome

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am teaching Daily 5 for the first time this year. I am confused on the touch point the Sisters write about. Can anyone tell me how to use it?
deedeedome is offline   Reply With Quote

cooper5

touchpoints
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi....here is a link to info on touchpoints

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=281134

iluv3rd

It's not so much the assessment that
Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

is a struggle... Day to Day Assessment in the Reading Workshop is a great resource for that. I get confused about the focus of each component of the system. I deliver a whole group mini lesson then confer with individuals or meet with small groups. The groups are usually strategy driven so we focus on a shared need. It's the conferences that throw me. Do I focus on the mini lesson, the strategy group skill or a third issue specific to the individual? I usually have individual goals but that's a lot for the kids to manage... while reading independently the kids are expected to at least internalize the mini lesson if not "demonstrate" they are practicing it, keep the strategy group focus in mind AND work on their individual CAFE goal. I do have kids share if I observe they are "using" the mini lesson skill but feel asking the kids to have three things in mind while reading is too much for them and me! I have also tried to have my groups reinforce the mini lesson topic but that doesn't always work either. Help!

iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

deedeedome

2nd grade writers workshop
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Any ideas for writers workshop lessons for 2nd graders?
deedeedome is offline   Reply With Quote