Help

The VENT

What's my fate?

>

kbrown

What's my fate?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't know if this is where I should post this, but I am so frustrated right now. I just got an email from somebody in our DO that said I need to meet with the HR Director because they aren't sure that I am highly qualified to be teaching in my current position. I have been teaching Middle School English for the past five years, some school same position. I came from California where I was highly qualified and taught for 4 years. I couldn't get any more information and I am freaking out. My principal is in Las Vegas at a conference so I can't talk to her. My meeting with the HR director isn't until Monday. What a way to spend the weekend, worrying about this!!! I don't even know what happens if I'm not highly qualified, do they just fire me, do they have to find me a new position? The words "Highly Qualified" have not even been uttered to me in the last five years. How on Earth was I hired if I'm not qualified. I don't even know what to do until I have my meeting. I'm so sick to my stomach right now.

kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I were you, I would begin by researching what that phrase means in your state and district. Then I would go back and find proof that you ARE highly qualified. If you have copies of your certifications -- pull those out. Get it all ready to show to HR -- it could be they just don't have a copy of something that they need for your file! Pull out your evals -- check to see if any of them ever used that phrase. If you are in a union state -- contact your union too!

Good luck -- I think you'll be fine!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemenTchr

Certs & Test Scores
Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the P.P. about pulling out your certs & also pull you test scores. For example in NJ we take the Praxis 2 test Elementary Content Knowledge for K-5, so I would use that as proof of HQ status. I know in NJ having a passing test score in the subject you teach and/or so many credits gives you HQ status. But def research the state dept of ed website , there should be something that lets you know what you need & take that with you to your meeting.

Good luck. I'm sure everything will be fine.
ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the test scores suggestion. For whatever reason being "highly qualified" often depends on Praxis scores. The whole thing is so silly! I'm sorry they're making you wait over the weekend to find out what's going on.
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

grrr
Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I HATE that they did that to you over the weekend! You'd think they would know that you'll be stressing out about this all weekend. In my district, if you're not highly qualified, you have a year or two to get the correct certification. Usually, you have to take some type of certification test, so hopefully it's something easy or nothing at all.

ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote
SubMan

SubMan

Old 09-07-2012, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Keep your cool and see what they have to say. As others have said research what highly qualified means and what documentation do you have to support your HQ status.

apple annie

Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Are you certified for the grade level and subjects you are currently teaching?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

highly qualified
Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you are highly qualified in California, you are highly qualified in every other state.

The irony of your situation is that more than half of the states have waivers allowing those states to ignore the "highly qualified" (as defined under NCLB) provision. Also, in July of this year the House appropriations committee approved a two-year extension of including student teachers and Teach for America teachers in the HQ category. So teachers with no experience can still be considered HQ. Go figure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...dPsW_blog.html
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 09-07-2012, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Check your state doe website. We can find all the information for highly qualified status on there.
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

hopeful10

My P
Old 09-08-2012, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

handed me a paper yesterday too for "Highly Qualified Teacher". I teach in Florida, but did all my undergrad and state testing in PA where I got my original teaching certificate. I got my FL teaching cert because PA and FL are recipricol states. She told me to contact the PA DOE and ask them what to do with the paper.

My problem is I got married since I got my PA cert and did not change my name on the license in PA. I am worried this proccess is going to take longer than she wants. She never told me a deadline, but did say she needs it back as soon as possible.

hopeful10 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee3

Old 09-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

HQ in my state also means being HQ with technology such as taking a course in tech every 5 years. So, be sure to check this out.
dee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee3

Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Also, when I was first hired to teach K, my principal never told me that I was not HQ to teach K even though I had relocated to take the position. He told me that I had to take the praxis to teach early childhood but said if I didn't pass he still had a position for me in the upper grades. I did take the test and passed and still remain in K. So, it may be something as simple as taking a test.
dee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

kbrown

Thank you
Old 09-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you all for the information. dee3 my situation sounds similar to yours. No one told me anything. I have been doing some independent research and have a call into the union rep and it seems that I may have to take a test. Although I took and passed all sections of the CSET and ORELA, have a Masters in Education and have been teaching for 9 years, I apparently have to take the ORELA again and pass a separate Language Arts in Middle School section. Good grief. I really hope that is it and I just have to take the test. I love middle school and DO NOT want to relocate!
kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote