Feeling lost

>

Feeling lost

Feeling lost

Feeling lost
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Signed out to not blow my cover.

I am feeling very lost lately and do not know where to go from here. This is my seventh year teaching and I have not had a great year yet. I always feel like i am nagging, begging, or scolding my students. Even when it is time for fun things it just isnt fun when i am constantly having to tell students what the appropriate behaviors are. I feel stressed and pressed for time. I really do not enjoy going to work because i know what the day brings. It seems no matter what I do it is not good enough for anyone(admin, parents, and students).

I will be exploring other career opportunities after state testing when it is less stressful. In the meanime i will continue my nightly drinks to unwind and relax.

Any other tips to make it through the year?

1956BD

Bummer
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry you are having a rough year. Four years ago I felt much the same way. I had a very challenging class. They were immature and had short attention spans. So....

I gave them more brain breaks.

I had activities last only about 15 minutes. Then we changed gears. Then we would go back and do 15 more minutes of a previous activity if we needed to finish an activity or lesson.

I did more kinesthetic lessons.

It did not solve all the problems, but it did help.

Hang in there and do what works for you. Take care.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Wise1

ME too
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really have no advice only that I understand . This is my 6th year and I'm over it. I am also contantly re-directing and reminding students of appropriate behaviors when they should know better by now. I am also searching for other alternatives. We can do this, we just need to make it through the rest of this year. Oh and did I mention 2 teachers on my team quit this month.
Wise1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Claus

Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel the same way. This is my sixth year and I've not had a great year either (one where I loved going to work most of the time). I love teaching, but I feel like I spend most of my time trying to get students to be quiet, sit down, listen, etc. Everyone seems to think I'm great at my job and my students have always done well, but I always feel inadequate. Maybe my expectations are too high for myself. You're not alone.
Mrs.Claus is offline   Reply With Quote

kbrown

Switch Schools, not careers!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

About 5 years ago, I was so stressed out, I was going to quit and go back to school. I wanted to do anything but teach. I couldn't handle it for one more minute. Then, I decided to switch districts and schools, and I have loved every day of school since. There are huge differences between schools and districts and if you have the opportunity to switch...do it before you give up everything you have worked for. A great administrator or team can really help! I know it's hard to look for new jobs, but it may be well worth if for you to do something like that.

kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote