Intermediate Grades (3-5)

United States Regions

>

*Fairydust*

United States Regions
Old 07-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I am looking for creative ways to turn a SS unit on USA regions into a "mostly reading/writing" unit aligned to informational CCSS. I still want to add in some SS concepts and activities such as map making.

I am looking for creative and inexpensive ways to teach each region through reading and and engaging. I have seen Beth Newingham's trip across the USA unit, but it's not aligned to informational CCSS ELA. It's mostly a SS unit. I do not want just Q and A tasks. I have Jill Russ' regions unit as well and she has passages to read and questions to answer, but I am looking for ways to make it more engaging. Her unit is almost all Q and A tasks with a scrapbook coloring page.

At the end of the unit, I am supposed to have them research a region and present it to the class. Any creative ideas for this?

Also, I am looking to decorate the room with an Across the USA theme to kick off the year....I do not need expensive crazy room transformations but would love to see if anyone has done this. I want kids' work to mostly decorate room.

This may be a long shot, but does anyone have anything or seen anything online about connecting Percy Jackson's Lightning Thief to USA regions? He travels across the country and visits places in USA and this would be a great cross curricular connection.

*Fairydust* is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Old 07-04-2019, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This unit sounds so intriguing! I have little suggestions, but love the cross curricular emphasis. You do so well in trying to integrate the skills!

Could you use Beth's ideas and add in some research for a culminating project like poster displays, powerpoints, travel booklets or some way to display their learning??
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 07-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Would something like this help?

https://www.highlights.com/store/whi...SABEgJmHvD_BwE

Also google 50 states for kids and there are several resources

When I did USA for my room, I stuck to things I could find at the dollar store for decorating. Now is the perfect time to find things.

I had this great book that had the country divided by regions and a listing of childrenís books for each region. If I can find the title, Iíll send it your way.
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote