Help

Classroom Management

No Respect

>

kmcma

No Respect
Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a student teacher and today (most days really) I couldn't get my class to stop talking over me. I have to be very stern with them and then they seem to push back even more. I have to constantly repeat myself because these students talk over me while I'm giving instructions. I have tried getting silent and not moving forward until they quiet down, but they blatantly ignore me. I have threatened them with quizzes and that works to a certain degree but, again, not really. They are so disrespectful and I made the mistake today of telling the front office that I am a student teacher over the intercom. Well, apparently it's imperative that these students only know me as a co-teacher because they have a reputation for treating student teachers horribly. Well, now they know and of course started telling my CT that they wish she would teach them again. This is awful. How can I rewind and get this class to listen? Desperate for ideas.

kmcma is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Behavioiur plan
Old 09-20-2018, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At first, I want to ask what's your behaviour plan like and do you have your CT's back. And then I remembered your earlier posts.

Believe me that there are worse schools where teachers have got to deal. Have you ever seen the movie "Freedom Writers" with Hillary Swank based on Erin Gruwell's experience? If you haven't, check it out but it's not going to solve your current problem. It's just to let you know that there are schools where the odds against a new teacher is stacked against you.

Can you tell me more about how you have your students configured? It sounds to me that you're trying to be the divide and conquer type but it's not working for you. In your situation, you already have your students going against you. I don't know if this makes any sense but can you somehow redirect this negative energy so their working against you (the disrespect) is transforming into productivity for their learning? I wouldn't use more work like quiz or HW as a consequence. They're supposed to like the work to learning what you're teaching them. What else have you tried? Bribes? Tokens? Calling home...

You're hitting a wall now and you gotta rise to the occasion. Student teaching is not supposed to be a cake walk. Right now, you have a CT who is laid back and shares her resources with you. I'd say that's half the battle won. You could have a less-than cooperative teacher that makes it that much harder on top of issues with your students and I know you know or realize this. I have to say that it's a good thing that you're experiencing this now because later on you don't want to be doing this when it's too late.

I want to also ask you, how are your students responding to you? Do you still have that connection with them? You know you done good when they're pressuring each other to behave. What can you do to get them to do that?

Last edited by Mikhail; 09-20-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 09-22-2018, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Student teaching is sort of like substituting. That is, you don't have weeks like the regular teacher to establish rules, procedures and build relationship. You have perhaps 20 seconds. Discipline is a fast game. You need something that is quick and says "I'm your teacher." If you stand and give directions - blah-blah-blah - students will have little idea who you are - a talking head? So they test.

Instead, get the class up and running with a learning game that has few directions Relays - (quickly handing Robert a marker) "Okay Robert you are captain of your row, team 1. Samantha, row 2 etc. At my signal I want you to go to the board and start a sentence with the word "The". Hand the marker to the next student in your row. That student will add the next word to the sentence. The winning team will be the one where everyone has a turn and there is a complete sentence." Idea is move quickly with an activity to start the class. This will get you off the "stage", standing in front, and will tell students something about yourself. If you want to give the winning team a silly prize, all the better. I gave carrots. After a couple rounds (change format) stop. Now go into your directed lesson by, first, explaining and demonstrating, "raise your hand and wait to be called on before speaking". Practice it with a trial question.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

anxietyridden

Old 10-13-2018, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, you're not alone. Sadly, I'm in the same boat except I'm an experienced 9th year teacher. First year at this particular school and first year teaching middle school, except for a horrifically awful summer school middle school experience in a different state 8yrs ago that ravaged and jaded my entire summer. Kids still disrespect me, still, even with my experience. Some are beginning to tell me I'm "not a real teacher" and that I'm not allowed to change their seats in class, only the dean can. It's humiliating, heart breaking, and insanely angering for me.
anxietyridden is offline   Reply With Quote