Help

Classroom Management

Art

>

SwollenAnkles

Art
Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work at an art magnet school. I am not the art teacher, but as a gen Ed teacher we have to do art too. I am great at classroom management with everything but art. Teaching art is loud and chaotic. They do more talking and visiting than working and they always want me to cut or glue or draw things for them!!! I love doing art myself! I hate teaching art!!! Any good advise other than be organized, because I am.

SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-06-2019, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've used some short, free videos from Mark Kistler to help with the drawing piece.

When it comes to cutting, gluing, drawing, I slow them down and ask students to put supplies down when they have finished step 1 or 2. Then I finish directions, Later, I ask the early finishers if they would like to be help other students who need to finish. Somehow this encourages the ones who are struggling and motivates the ones who really weren't trying to try a little harder.

Then I talk about how real artists need quiet in order to think about their art and I ask for no talking and sometimes play quiet background music, especially classical music or spa music. It works most of the time, but I'll admit that it falls short on those full moon days.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 04-06-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I attended an art workshop while back put on by an art teacher from another school. One of her first questions to the group was, "When you teach math do you allow your students to socialize, get out of their seats or play with their materials?" From the group, "No". Her response, "Of course not. That's because you know math takes concentration, focus and attention to detail." Then she added, "Then why do you allow students to socialize, get out of their seats and play with materials during art? Are you telling them art has no skills or concepts worth their time? Are you saying art is so easy anyone can do it even when chatting with neighbors or hopping around the room?"

Like many at the time, I took the position art was a "free to be you and me" activity. The premise being too many rules would stifle creativity. Thanks to this teacher, I reconstructed my art lessons just like my math and other "content" lessons. Students produced more art of better quality and had a better time doing it. In short, students will attach about the same importance to a lesson as the teacher.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Thanks
Old 04-07-2019, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That makes total sense. Now how do I get there? I am going to ask our real art teacher if I can come in and observe her teaching a lesson.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote