Sixth Grade

End of the year ideas

>

TaraBurgess

TaraBurgess

End of the year ideas
Old 05-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 6th grade Grade Language Arts/Social Studies. I am looking for interesting and fun activities to do for the year of the year. Please help!

tia

check out
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

this thread: http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=155882
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

WildcatBarb85

End of the Year
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also teach SS/English--we are making life size paper dolls to look like people from the Middle Ages. We finished the year in SS by studying the Medieval times. Students have been assigned to groups of 3. They have to research what life was like for a certain type of person--lord of the manor, peasant, knight, etc. Besides dressing the doll to look like that person, they must write a letter to the rest of the class pretending to be that person. They are having a lot of fun with it!! I got the idea from a Mailbox magazine several years ago.
WildcatBarb85 is offline   Reply With Quote

camillew

Debate
Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been planning to do some current events activities for the last week and just got a great idea tonight: debate. I'll have them research both sides of the topic M-Th and have them debate on F.
camillew is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

Memory Book and Things
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have done a memory book of sorts.I called it a slam book where they can get friends autographs and thoughts about certain topics such as favorite music group from the 2008-2009 school year, or the hardest assignment given for this school year.
I may not do it this year because I shareed this assignment with teachers who did this same activity with the majority of the same students last year, so if I did it, it would have to be revamped totally.

One teacher had students create word search puzzles and they had to come up with 30 copies of their puzzle and a answer key as well. She is going to be doing some type of contest with them after end of grade testing.

Another teacher is supposed to be having her students create a movie for the end of the year. Each students will be put in groups and they will take on the role of set designer, director, editor , etc.

Another teacher who teachers writing at my school is doing a fairy tale unit. She has been doing a vocabulary game that has been tweaked from the old game show 25,000 dollar pyramid.

The math teacher I believe she is doing math centers on various topics.

The social studies teacher is having the students research a country and present it to the class.

We will also be remediating students who did not pass end of grade tests in grades 6-8. So that will take up a ton of time, so some of these great ideas may not get done or may not be completed if many people are remediating.

We also have field day for all students 3 days next week.

I hope these ideas help!!

powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
TaraBurgess

TaraBurgess

Wow!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is a great idea. We have already studied the Middle Ages. This would be a great project for next year. Thanks!
TaraBurgess

TaraBurgess

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the GREAT ideas! I hope everyone has a great end of the year!
teacher 8075

teacher 8075

end of year
Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Give each child a piece of paper headed "SUMMER READING" then have each child present their favorite book to the class. Students that are interested in that particular book can add it to their summer reading list and then find it at the library over the summer.