Help

Social Studies

Social Studies Centers Ideas

>

sholmes

Social Studies Centers Ideas
Old 11-23-2010, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a 4/5/6 combo class and need some create ideas for Social Studies learning center. Any great ideas that can be shared?

sholmes is offline   Reply With Quote

trickytrice

Brochures
Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can have them create a 3-fold brochure based on a topic discussed. They can have a rubric to follow and each time they go to the center they are reading to complete the brochure. Example
Landforms
~front page would have to have a drawing of one, title of it.
~page 2 would be a description or definition
~page 3 would be places where they can be where they can find it
~page 4 bibliography
In the station you would need to have books relating to the topic you want them to learn about. I have done this in 4th grade with anything from regions to explorers to branches of government.

I just did one in 2nd grade with local, state, and federal governement.

Other things would be to have laminated biography pages of people you have to learn about and comprehension questions on the back. They can read the biographies and answer the questions on the back with a dry erase marker.

You can use the center to be a project center where you expect a product at the end of a marking period based on what they are learning about. Again the brochure would work for this. Other ideas could be a diorama, mobile, poster, report, or book.
trickytrice is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

What about creating categories
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

of centers? Like mapping/geography, state history and facts, economics, community and government. Then find activities for those categories.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

guess the place!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have my class find a place (city, prefecture, country...etc) and get important info about it. Then they come up with 10 facts about the place and read them to the rest of the class.

The class must guess what place there are talking about and write it down.

OR

I have the class ask questions about the place and the group must answer them. Kinda like the game 20 questions.

- What colors are the flag there?
- Is it a warm place?
- Is it over X for population?
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

enrichment
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How about an enrichment center?

Is fluency with Roman Numerals a standard? Whether or not, a center that has them working with that would be good, as well as learning to recognize the capital versions of Greek alphabet, most of which are found later in science and other disciplines.

I do have a work sheet for each of above somewhere, if you want either of them.

Do you have a computer at one of your centers? If so, how about practicing using Excel with statistics from a topic they are currently studying, like population comparisons. Yep, have a worksheet for that too.

OR - have students create surveys - how many were born in summer, winter, spring, autumn in their class? Requires learning the equinox dates, etc. Then use Excel to display the results. Or survey another topic that they come up with - state they were born in, country parent was born in, how many siblings, favorite soda pop, etc.

ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hoartyo

computer center
Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you have classroom computers and access to United Streaming (or any video source online) you can have students watch a video and complete an activity. I often use these with research; for example, when studying various regional Native American tribes I downloaded excellent videos from United Streaming that were about 25 minutes, and students were able to answer questions about the groups.
Hoartyo is offline   Reply With Quote