Help

Fourth Grade

Everyday math

>

Niki

Everyday math
Old 06-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone one have a good routine down for everyday math? I still struggle with this... How much time to spend on everything. I usually have one hour and 15 min. to spend on math. Also, I'm having trouble with enough grades for math. If you supplement, how often and with what? Thanks!

Niki is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Love EM!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there!
I spend about 1hr 15min also on math. My typical schedule is something like this:

Go over MB from the previous day with the whole class.

Take 5-10 minutes doing the mental math. I don't always do what the book has planned, and sometimes I skip it if I know we're in a time crunch.

Take about 5 minutes to do the math message and then go right into the lesson. After the lesson I get the kids to do the WB pages for the day and the math boxes. They are always supposed to play math games if they finish early. There are times I have them skip certain math boxes, because of a time crunch. I always have them skip the compare boxes. I have found over the past 10 years teach EM that these guys are just not developmentally ready for them. If I have some higher level learners that can handle it, then I'll get them to do it, but I just typically skip those.

I always put a "to do" list on the board when it's time for independent work. It looks something like this:

p. 245 (P)
p. 246 (I) √
MB 9.4
Games

The P means that it's partner work. The I means they need to do it independently, and the check mark means they need to come have me check it when they're done. I put it there, so when they come to me, I can check both pages. (If you put a check by both, then the kids are hopping up and down too much, and I'd rather check the pages all at once. I typically roam the room until kids start needing to be checked.) MB 9.4 stands for Math Boxes Unit 9 Lesson 4. I teach my students that math boxes are ALWAYS done independently, so I never put an (I) next to it.

Now, as they finish their pages, I will usually have them come to me and I'll check the pages right then (just the pages for the day, not the math boxes). Sometimes, if I see that the kids are struggling, I'll stop and do some more examples with them or if it's just a handful of kids, I'll pull those kids into a small group and work with them some more.

All the extra stuff that comes after the math boxes I rarely get to. I'll do them on occasion, if there's time.

I do the World Tour, but not like it's done in the book. I do the Washington DC lesson in Unit 2 where it falls in the unit, but after that, I only do the world tour after the tests. So after Unit 2, we'll go to Egypt. After Unit 3 the groups pick another country in Region 1 to do. We do this after each test, and typically do 2 countries per region. I know some people do not like the world tour at all, but I LOVE it! My kiddos typically enjoy learning about new countries, and we really look at the data. They are amazed to find that some countries only have 1 car per 1000 people. That kind of stuff has really generated some wonderful conversations!

I usually get plenty of grades for math, because I do grade most homework assignments. I also grade the "My Country Notes" from the world tour and use it as both a social studies and a math grade.

I hope some of this has helped. Let me know if you have any more questions!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Niki

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! That is helpful!

Nettie1

Math Centers
Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do math centers with Everyday Math. I pretest in each chapter to form groups. Those that score high start in the independent center doing journal pages/math boxes. If they have trouble, they can ask a partner and if both have trouble they can skip the problem and ask me when they come to teacher center. I teach high math, so this group can usually do these pages without much direction. I also have enrichment activities (supplemented) that I provide if they finish early. Another center is the game center. I usually have a parent volunteer run this center and they play the game that goes with the daily lesson. Sometimes I supplement games, too. The last is teacher center where I teach the daily lesson-- the group that scores the lowest on the pretest starts here. They rotate every 20 minutes. It goes very fast and I wish I had more time! However, my kids scores were still high at the end of the year, so I feel it was beneficial. I got most of my ideas from Beth Newingham's site. She uses Everyday Math and runs centers.
Nettie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mnolan

Everyday Math pretests
Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What do you use for pretesting? My partner and I want to do that next year and then make two groups for teaching.

mnolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Niki

How many groups?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How many groups did you have for centers? And how many students were in each group?

okteach

Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is Everyday Math something your school purchases or is it something you can purchase yourself?
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherShan

We have a program at school...
Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have a program from EDM that allows you to make worksheets with questions like the tests. I have used it in 1st grade for retesting purposes. I am new to 4th and think this is a great idea for pretesting. Ask your EDM representative about it. We got a special login and username. It's not the same as the website but something that we have downloaded on our school computers only. Hope this helps. I think it's called Assessment Manager? Not sure but I think it's something like that.
teacherShan is offline   Reply With Quote

imau2u

Grades
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also struggle with EDM with my lower level students, so I found the previous posts very helpful.

As for grades, I will often grade the math boxes. Most math boxes are paired, so we'll go over 1.1 together and then I will grade 1.3, which is usually the same questions with different #s. I pick and chose the ones I grade, which are aligned to the unit assessments and our curriculum. If you grade MBs, you end up with TONS of grades at the end of the quarter and it also gives you great data as to what the knows know well and need help with.
imau2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Nettie1

pretest
Old 06-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I usually give the same pre/post test so I can see the growth. We make our own tests as a team. I usually have 7-8 in a group.

Nettie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachzm

EDM Pretests
Old 06-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You can use (or modify) the review tests at this site as pretests.

http://montgomerytsd.schoolwires.com...22|&NodeID=389
Teachzm is offline   Reply With Quote

Niki

Thanks everyone
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've been using EM for awhile now and still don't feel like I have much of a schedule/flow. Thanks for your help.
Niki

TGall

Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for your post SassyTeach!! Doing EM for the first time this year...we typically only have 40 minute periods due to pull out math/Resource Room/etc. Was told the EM program is nearly impossible to do in this time frame so your advice is quite helpful...
TGall is offline   Reply With Quote