Help

Third Grade

Turning in Homework

>

lamaestra23

Turning in Homework
Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Where/how do your students turn in their homework in the morning? TIA!

lamaestra23 is offline   Reply With Quote

nnmiles

Call by table
Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In the morning, I called each of my 8 tables one by one and they come up with their agenda open to where they wrote their homework down and I check if they did it. Sad face goes in their agenda or a star. I also record a checkmark(if they didn't do it, or leave the space blank if they did do it) for my own records so that when I meet their parents I show them as well. The parents like that they can see each day a sad face or a star in their agenda. Also I don't collect homework or grade it, because I have enough to grade with end of week assessments. Homework is suppose to be an extension of what they learned it school and practice.
nnmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Homework Collection
Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I collect everything in number order. Each student has a class number. If they do not have the assignment they have to write me an excuse sheet with a full heading. On it they have to tell me the name of the assignment and why they do not have it completed. This helps to remind me to collect late work from them. If they are absent, I add a sheet with their name and the word absent.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

HookEmTeacher

skill box
Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use a skill box (file folder box) and have a file folder in there with each students' # on it. In my district we're not allowed to take a grade on homework, so I just check for completion, and the kids are rewarded in another way for doing all their homework. They put it in the folder as soon as they come in on Friday morning (I do weekly packets), and then I can check it while they're doing morning work, or during specials or recess.
HookEmTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Cenicienta

Mailbox
Old 08-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am trying something new this year and we will see how it works. I purchased an HUGE mailbox from Home Depot that I am putting up in my room. All homework, communication notebooks and any classwork that they do gets placed into the mailbox. If the mailbox has its flag raised (near the end of the day), that means that there is work in there that needs to be put into student mailboxes by whoever is in charge of mail for the week.

Cenicienta is offline   Reply With Quote

Nspired

absolutely cute mailbox idea
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm sooooooooo going to use that idea!! WOW! thanks for sharing!!!
Nspired is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra23

Old 08-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for everyone's ideas!

I also love the mailbox idea!

lamaestra23

Also...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do a lot of you not take homework as a grade? I'm a first year teacher, so I'm still deciding what I want to do. When I student taught my teacher made me take grades on all homework! It took A LOT of time, and I thought some of it was unnecessary. On the other hand, I want to make sure I have "enough" grades in my grade book.. But I know homework isn't always completed independently, etc. I have a lot to think about still...

1956BD

Homework is not a grade
Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for my students, unless it is a long term project. We can grade anything they have not had a chance to master. Since nightly homework is practice, it can not count as a grade in my district.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

pbk3y

Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like the idea of having the students write why they don't have it. If they have to write an excuse, they might remember to complete their homework. Thanks!

pbk3y is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

don't
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't collect mine. We go over it together first thing in the morning. I like the kids to see if their answers are correct before we move onto something else. It doesn't take long to go over it, and then they put it in their folder to take home.

No, we don't grade homework. Parents would do it for them if that were the case - and some kids who don't have parental support would have terrible grades because they don't get help. We take 9 grades a quarter per subject - that's 1 grade per subject per week. It's mostly test grades, but we also take classwork grades occasionally.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Lots of ideas
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

(We aren't allowed to take grades for homework, either, so I don't stress too much about it.)
  • Have them lay it on the desk before the morning news and while they are watching the news go around and make a note in your preferred form of record keeping.
  • If it's math homework, go around the room while you are checking the homework as a class and make notes.
  • Turn in homework on Friday morning into a class homework tub. Check for completion only during the day.
  • Don't assign homework except for reading and lower your stress level immensely.
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

TizzieLizzie

Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a homework collector. The collector goes around the room collecting one piece of homework at a time. When the collector gets to a desk with no homework, she/he comes up to me immediately and tells me. I call the child up and make a notation in their assignment/agenda book and also on the bottom of my lesson plan book. This works out well. It's fast and easy.

I do correct all homework, but do not use it for a grade. I talk to parents at open house about homework being practice. I ask them to offer help, check the work and ask kids to make corrections before turning it in. I also ask them to write notes on the top of homework sheets when a child is having difficulty. This has been most helpful to me.
TizzieLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Don't
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm with Susan Teach. I don't collect homework. I don't remember the last time that I did. It's too much paper and clutter that I don't really have time to deal with. I only check for completion.
We go over. Ask for questions. Ask if the parents had any questions (the kids like that one). Usually, if the children have questions from their parents, it's because they didn't understand the homework even if their child did.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Corrected and commented on
Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I rarely take a "grade" for a piece of homework because as someone said, some kids get help and some do not. I do correct it all because I think it is important that they receive feedback for their work. If I see that a child is not understanding a concept, I call them up for a brief check in during snack time. I will often then write REDO on their paper, so they can have another go at it.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Cenicienta

Grades with Homework
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I don't know what my new school's policy is on homework grades. When I taught high school (I am down at Third Grade this year - huge shift), I just gave my students a check grade for completion and then we would go over the homework together. I don't know how I am going to work it this year, but still want to go over the homework together.
Cenicienta is offline   Reply With Quote

beachaudrey25

We Can't Grade It!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We are not allowed to take grades for homework. In the past I would go around and check the homework for completion, make a note of who did and did not complete it, and then go over it during each specific subject.

This year I think I am going to borrow nnmiles idea of the sad face or star. The students also have to have their parent/guardian sign their planners so that will affect the sad face or star. I do like the idea of checking it myself (even though it's another job) because I don't like a student checking other students' work. I may reward those students who have all stars for each week with Homework Bingo. That idea is still working in my head though!!
beachaudrey25 is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

Don't
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would never get to grade it. I check it while they do their drill. (check and check plus) In the beginning of the year I have them switch and we check it together so they understand what is expected.
lynned is offline   Reply With Quote

AshTexasTeach

File Box
Old 08-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I'm thinking about having each student turn in their work in a hanging file box. Then I can have my leader check off who has what. WhenI grade, I can just pull a student's file, grade it, and put in a different "graded papers" file box.
AshTexasTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MsNoble

Homework...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

The huge debate! My homework philosophies are not too different than those here. I only give homework that's needed and is EXTRA practice. I always get my students started on homework in school and we ALWAYS go over it. I don't grade it, but completion DOES help them out with their average at the end of the quarter. (Every assignment gives them an extra 0.05-0.1 points on their average, depending on the subject.) I do, however, require my students to read 20 minutes every night. (This is more important to me than anything else!) Here's where/how my students turn in their homework!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
MsNoble is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachmania

Homework Chart
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have a homework chart that I write each child's name down the side and the homework assignments across the top. As students come in, they get out their homework. We then correct it together (the students correct thier own with a highlighter). I walk around the room and give each student a sticker if they completed thier homework. This also gives me a chance to see how they are doing. The student then puts the sticker on the chart. At the end of the week if the student has all thier homework turned in, I let them guess for the estimation candy jar. Each month the closest estimate wins the candy! I never send home the candy without a parent signature of course. I can then use the chart to take a grade for homework completion. This is a very small percentage of the quarterly grade.
Teachmania is offline   Reply With Quote

NarrativeC

My students are assigned to
Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Student Learning Teams, (five to a team) and they meet right after announcements and check their math homework. Each person on the team has a job, and they have to mark their papers with crayon or colored pencil. One of the students gets a whiteboard and marker, and if they need to go over a question, they do it on the whiteboard. When they are done, they mark it with a P for practice b/c we can't count homework as grade. At first it takes a while to work through it, but now they can do it in 5 minutes! Then the P work goes into their mailbox. I do this only for math--for reading their homework is read 20 minutes.
NarrativeC is offline   Reply With Quote