Help

BusyBoard

Cognates

>

funsized

Cognates
Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to teach cognates to my students. I don't know how to start. So many words sound the same in English. Any suggestions on what activities to do. I am open to suggestions.

funsized is offline   Reply With Quote

srsaunde

content
Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 4th, so our cognates lend themselves to teachable moments, rather than an explicit lesson. I usually incorporate them into math, science, and social studies, since the more technical terms are often cognates. Many of the younger grades also create cognate walls, similar to word walls. To get them started, could you read a mentor text with a lot of cognates to get them noticing them? Then make your own cognate book?
srsaunde is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra23

content also
Old 09-19-2011, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 3rd. At the start of every new chapter for social studies or science I have a vocabulary power point. Each word has 4 boxes. The vocabulary word (in Spanish), the definition (in Spanish), the word being used in a sentence and then the word in English. My students then decide if it is a cognate. When the word is a cognate I give them an index card where they write both the English and Spanish word. We then hang it on our "Cognates/Cognados" area (closet doors lol ). Kids get used to that pattern, and now every time they come across a cognate they are so excited because they know that they can add it to our wall.
lamaestra23 is offline   Reply With Quote