Help

Daily 5

Daily Five Checkout

>

tatasurvivor

Daily Five Checkout
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be implementing the Daily Five and maybe The CAFE this upcoming year. I was wondering...how often do you let the students checkout new books, either from your class library or the school Media Center? Do they reread the books numerous times?

tatasurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra23

Picking new books
Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I let my students choose new books from my library once a week. They also pick out new books from the library once a week. If they want to exchange books during the week they need to do during their time like when they finish early or during snack.
lamaestra23 is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I let them choose books from the classroom library whenever they want. They know when they need new books. Some kids like to reread books and keep the same bopks longer than others. They can get new books in the morning when they come in. During Daily 5 I will let one student each round trade books if needed. Some kids need more time.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students can get new books each morning as a part of our checklist. It is a brief bookshopping time---about 20 minutes some of which is used for other organizational things. Then each guided reading group is allowed to skip Work on Writing one time a week and do book shopping during that round. Students can always use recess time to get new books, too.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

KittyLitter

Book Shopping
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's hard to organize book shopping in my library during my short instructional time and I have let them use it as a Round but won't do that anymore as it is too disruptive to those reading. I made Book Shopping passes for my students to come in before school or during lunch to shop. I keep a log of what they've checked out. They also utilize the school library once a week but our librarian takes up 15 minutes of their perusing time. It needs some tweaking this year for sure.

KittyLitter is offline   Reply With Quote

colleague

"Bookshopping"
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

is once a week, it will be Friday this coming year. They re-read their books a lot and begin to feel very successful when reading to me and their partner. I want to make sure they have chosen just right fit books so they continue to progress, of course since there are 3 ways to read a book they feel very successful as well. I like to be near by to guide their 'shopping' choices. As the year goes on (first grade) I ask them to choose at least 7 books they can read with fluency, so that leaves about 3 of which they can read the pictures, they choose ten new books a week.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote

kris0722

Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

These responses are so helpful! Thank you!
kris0722 is offline   Reply With Quote