First year of teaching (3rd grade dual language) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Third Grade

First year of teaching (3rd grade dual language)

>

Teach3r1

First year of teaching (3rd grade dual language)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my first year as a teacher. I will be teaching 3rd grade dul language (I will be teaching the Spanish side). I received my certification through an alternative certification program so I did not get the student teaching experience. I feel like my observation hours were not enough to get the classroom experience but since I did my alternative certification while I was still attending college, I was not able to do more than the required 30 hours. I feel very unprepared and lost. I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice on "must-haves" in the classroom and "must-dos." I have used google and pinterest a lot but I feel like I am finding so much information that I don't know what I should and shouldnt use. Since I will be teaching in Spanish, I am having trouble finding lesson plans and ideas that are already in Spanish. We will be doing the daily five and i have been researching it. Unfortunately, everything I find is in English. I have not seen my classroom yet but I am planning as if I will have nothing in it. Does anyone know a website that I can find affordable books in Spanish in different reading levels? Any suggestions will help. Thank you.

Teach3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Maybe this will help
Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.austinschools.org/curricu...3rd/curr3.html

Maybe this will help. Some is in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish, so I am not much help. Sorry. I wish you the best.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

Spanish leveled books
Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check out the reading a-z site. They have leveled books and worksheets in Spanish. You have to print and assemble them-or project them-but you can get as many as you want for a year's subscription. Might be exactly what you need.

http://www.readinga-z.com/spanish/leveled-books.html
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra23

I taught...
Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year I taught 3rd grade bilingual (my first year teaching). The majority of my day was taught in Spanish. It was very hard to find Spanish resources and I spent a lot of time making and translating my own activities. For Daily 5 I just handmade all of our anchor charts with the kids in Spanish. For word work (we called it practica de palabras) I had a list of activities that the kids could choose from. I just brain stormed a bunch of different activities, typed them up and laminated them and the kids kept them in their book box. I can't remember all of the activities but they were pretty simple and I didn't have to do anything to prep them, they were all activities that the kids could do in their own notebooks. For example: orden alfabetico, palabras de arcoiris, palabras telefonicas, escribir oraciones, dibujar las palabras.

As for books, that was the hardest part for me. I had a bunch of books in English, but not many in Spanish. My classroom did have a small selection of Spanish books when I got there, which was nice. I would suggest checking with your building principal or bilingual department to see if there are any funds available. Our bilingual department gave us $175 to order books midyear. Also, I ordered books from Scholastic's Club Leo. You can also use your points to order books from them for free once your kids order (I sent home ClubLeo and I can't remember the name of the other order but it was the grades 2-3 order in English). The problem I found with Club Leo is that they have a lot of books at the k/1 level and 4/5 level books, but not a ton in the middle. Just have to work with what you've got! Otherwise, unfortunately it takes a lot of searching for Spanish books. And they aren't cheap either! You can't find them at your library's sale or garage sales!

I did let my kids read books in English, too. One of the 3 ways to read a book is reading the pictures. So I taught my students about how even though they might not know all the words in English they can use the pictures (in picture books) to help them read the book.

I got a job at a new school this year, 3rd grade bilingual again, but using a lot more English so I won't have to worry as much for Spanish books this year fortunately!

Good luck with your new job! The first few months will be a bit of a struggle, but I absolutely love bilingual. I never want to teach anything else!
lamaestra23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Seldee

I am a bilingual teacher
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and I can totally relate to how you are feeling. It is harder to find instructional materials in Spanish but there is more out there now then a few years ago. One teacher book worth having is called Sabeletodo. (?) Great for word study and reading. Check your local teacher stores for bilingual responses. They'll have resources in English and Spanish. Lakeshore has bilingual resources. It will be expensive at first but you'll have the resources for years to come. EBAY is a place you might go to look for books in Spanish. You can look for Spanish kid books but more in bulk. For instance a teacher may be downsizing her library and so she'll sell a batch. Get your kids at school excited about buying books from Scholastic. The more books they buy the more points you have to buy books. You just have to keep your eyes open for books that are 2-3rd grade level. I got alot of biographies through Scholastic and poetry books too in Spanish.Also check out Really Good Stuff. Teacher catalog that have reading posters in Spanish. My must haves in my class are: word wall, word study wall, reading stategies anchor charts,genres,calendar math, math word wall, math strategies and science word wall.Definitely check out the Austinisd site mentioned before if you can or any school site that has Spanish resources for lesson plans and ideas.

Seldee is offline   Reply With Quote