Help

Sixth Grade

non-band kids

>

WildcatBarb85

non-band kids
Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have kids who don't take band during the day and am looking for ideas on what to do with them. It is a 30 minute period. I could have them read for AR but was wondering if anyone else had any great ideas. I don't want it to be a study period because I don't think that is fair to the kids who go to band.

WildcatBarb85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-06-2014, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Why is it not fair to the kids who go to band? They chose that activity. The other kids probably just have different activities after school. I bet they (and their parents) would welcome the chance to get a jump on homework.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

2sankofa

Old 08-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Lakeside. They made that choice. The others shouldn't punished for their choice of activity.

We have choir twice a week (60min each day) and band sectionals (45 min several times a week). During that time, especially for choir, we all keep on teaching. there have been times when choir and band are performing that we do have study hall. The kids love having that opportunity.
2sankofa is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At my old school, non choir kids did rotating electives: cooking, movie making, sewing, knitting, electronics, photography, etc. Parents or college students volunteered to teach 3x a week for 40 minutes. When no one was available, the teacher taught an elective or they did study hall.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

WildcatBarb85

non-band kids
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have had troubles in the past with kids quitting band just to have a study period. If a student is IEPed, they of course have a study period in the resource room. It is hard to keep a band program (or keep it growing) if kids quit all the time because they think they are missing out on something fun.

WildcatBarb85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, I think they shouldn't be allowed to quit. That's letting down "the team" as much as if any athlete quit.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

Great question!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have struggled with this for YEARS. If you make the activity too fun the kids quit band (and in my district you cant MAKE someone stay in band). If it is too boring the kids who don't chose band suffer (and there are a LOT of reasons kids chose not to join band... finances being one).

The past two years I have run a study hall while the kids are in band - if they want they can read silently or get their laptop and go on a program called Moby Math. Everyone seems happy.

I would LOVE to just keep teaching, but it is hard to have kids miss out on instruction.

Excited to hear how other people approach this.
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherina

I agree that it should not be a study hall
Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It does hurt the Music dept. in Choir and Band if they think they could be having Study Hall. The students are gone for 30 minutes. I usually give them 7-10 minutes of Study Hall, and then have them choose an app.(We are an iPad school.) I usually have a Math and Reading app to choose from. I have also suggested AR, and AM. I do work in small groups with some students.

Before we were an iPad school, I would have them do Center work. This worked especially well when supplies are limited, and sharing has to be done. I have even said if they don't choose to work on the limited material while others are at Music class, those students get first choice during class.

Thanks for asking this question.
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote