Help

The Job Search

Teaching Career Over?

>

BZChicago

Teaching Career Over?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a successful teacher of seven years who lost a job over personal/political differences with a first-year dept. chair.

I've applied for dozens of vacancies and can't even get an interview, even with the principal and athletic director calling over to schools on my behalf. I've got a real strong resume and references. I'm a strong writer so my essays are fine. But I had to check that box that indicated I failed to be rehired.

1. Am I just totally screwed? It seems that way after looking for nearly three months now.

2. If I am out of teaching, what's next? Do I move to private sector for year or find work as a sub or aid?

3. Did checking that box on the application permanently end my chances of getting a teaching job?

BZChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Based on the posts of others on this board, 3 months is "nothing" in terms of not getting an interview in that time. Particularly if you live in an area that is saturated with teacher applicants.

What exactly was the box you checked? Is the principal calling schools on your behalf your most recent principal or a previous one? How did you lose a job over conflicts with a department chair- he/she wouldn't had had the authority to fire you, I would assume?

Are you able to move to another location where teachers are more in demand? It could be that your region has its pick of teachers and will go with ones who have not checked "the box" first.

Only you can decide whether to work as a sub or aid or move to the private sector. I think there are too many factors in play for me to be able to even make a definitive decision on that for you.

If you are mobile, I personally would look elsewhere (I'm talking different states even). If you are set where you are and unable/unwilling to move, I would consider the job field in my area and then decide whether to get into the schools as a sub or in a support position (if it looks possible that there are actually jobs out there), or whether to get into another rising field for which I'd be qualified (if the market is saturated).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

BZChicago

Old 05-23-2015, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the reply.

There's that box on the application that must be checked if one has failed to be rehired, fired, or resigned to avoid termination.

The principal has called a couple school on my behalf. She is my current principal who chose to support my department chair's decision even though it seems like she did not agree with it.

I've taught at two great schools - both are top ten in the state. I left my first position after four year because of budget issues leading to a strike. Unfortunately, there really isn't a place on an application to explain this first departure, so I am concerned that, with four years at one school and three at another, that it looks like I was fired from two schools instead of just one.

I have heard from some people that taking a support position, or even moving to middle school, are moves that hurt future job chances.

There have been a lot of openings. I know my current school fielded 300 applications for my former position. It seems like most schools around here are interviewing the same 10 people.

I guess three months is technical not a long time, but I have been passed over on so many positions in that time span. And that includes part-time and maternity leave positions are schools in not-so-great districts, especially compared to my current school.

On paper, I am a strong candidate, but can't even get someone to call me back.

teenytiny

Old 05-24-2015, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Change your answer to that question. Nobody can prove that you weren't already planning on resigning long before they made their decision.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachChicago

Old 05-25-2015, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I started looking in February and got hired in June. I did go on a LOT of interviews and was getting desperate, so I know how you feel. I would definitely consider subbing to get your foot in the door. If you truly enjoy education, I would not give up. I know a great person who was an aide for a year and did long term subs for a year and she is still looking. Therefore, it can take a few years for something to come up. If you do decide to sub or take an aide job, you may want to consider getting an endorsement of some kind to help your job prospects. Good luck!!

TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

BZChicago

Old 05-25-2015, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the replies.

@TinyTiny: I didn't go that route because I was concerned what my department chair would say when called for a reference. In hindsight, since I haven't even gotten to the point where my references are being called, I probably should have written something like that.

But I also even asked my principal how to deal with that issue and she told me that I couldn't bend the truth and had to check the box.

@TeachChicago - if I was getting interviews, I would be slightly less concerned, but, with a real strong application on paper, I can't even get called for a preliminary screener. And I have been passed over by several schools - including vacancies for part-time and maternity leave - at schools in my current district's conference. So these are schools that have people who know me. This includes my own alma mater that brought me in for an interview seven years ago when I was first looking for a job but won't call now.

Just can't tell if I'm just getting unlucky or if I'm now considered damaged goods. The only advice I got from my principal was to move out of Chicago...
Spoofy One

Spoofy One

A foot in the door
Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had to check the box on "Edjoin" and other apps. About "Being asked to resign". I also began subbing because I needed income and I am not ready to give up teaching. I have been subbing regularly now, and this has helped me gain even more experience teaching, and subbing has allowed me to have some successes teaching and gain new contacts and cohorts, and interviews. I have been at a high school this year and have built a good reputation. (Preaching) Always focus on the students and keep personal life to self--.

BZChicago

Old 05-31-2015, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for sharing.

About your last comment...not sure if my posts have made it seem like I don't focus on the students or focus too much on my personal life.

I can't afford to sub for a full year, and will not gain any actual experience. I've been a teacher now for seven years at two of the top ten schools in the state. I'm looking for a job because of personal differences with a brand-new department chair, nothing to do with my actual skills as a teacher.

It looks like the real debate I might have is to teach at a charter school in a terrible neighborhood or to teach middle school. Neither of these will be for long, but only until I find a high school where I can teach and coach. Not sure which of these options would be preferred by a future employer either. I'd guess any type of high school is preferred. Just would hurt to work at a charter since I disagree with this type of education.