Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Daily vs. 2 week contact lenses

>

Haley23

Daily vs. 2 week contact lenses
Old 06-11-2020, 01:15 AM

Has anyone switched back and forth? Several years ago I complained of irritated eyes and my Dr. switched me to disposable dailies. I love them, but they're SO expensive.

Within the past year or so I've tried to switch to wearing glasses some days when I don't really have any plans so I can save money, but I literally cannot stand wearing glasses. I hate the feeling of them on my face, I hate being able to see the frames in my peripheral vision, I can't seem to ever get them completely clean, and there are always glares.

It's time to make my appointment and I'm wondering if I should ask to try a sample of the 2 week lenses again and see how much difference there really is. It's been so long since I've worn them that I don't really trust my memory of exactly what they were like- did I just find them irritating towards the end of the 2 weeks? Was I wearing them longer than I should (probably)? I hope one sample is enough to tell.

If I went back to those I could wear contacts every day AND not feel guilty about it. OTOH, if they're truly uncomfortable it's worth spending the money for something so important. Any experience with both kinds?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Dailies
Old 06-11-2020, 04:58 AM

Clean and sanitary. Although I have not worn my contacts in months because of pandemic. Not putting my fingers in my eyes right now. They are expensive but I do not wear them every day so that helps!
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 06-11-2020, 05:03 AM

I have worn contacts for 30 years. Like you, I cannot stand wearing glasses. The unclear peripheral vision makes me nauseous and I even feel off balanced. I wear contacts 24/7 - the only time I take them out is to put in a new pair. A few years ago, my eyes were so irritated. I wore glasses for a week and used antibiotic drops. I put a fresh pair of contacts in after a week and just a few days later started having issues again. My eye doctor ended up switching me to a different lens. I had been using the same one for YEARS. He basically said sometimes your eye just won't accept that type anymore. So, I switched to a different one and my issues were completely gone. I would ask for a few different samples and see how your eyes do. I use a 30 day lens and love it. I can't imagine having to use dailies.
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Contacts
Old 06-11-2020, 05:07 AM

I wear Air Optix Night and Day - I leave them in for a week, take them out and clean overnight, then put them back in for another week. I can usually get 5 weeks out of one pair, even though 4 weeks is what I've been told they last. I do have dry eyes (who knew RA could cause that??) and use drops 2X a day.
I tried the dailies years ago, but some nights I would forget to take them out, or fall asleep before I did. Too much work.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-11-2020, 05:24 AM

I use monthly disposable contacts. I wear glasses at home, but not for long periods of time, they drive me crazy. I take my contacts out each night and clean them then put them back in the next morning. I switch to a new pair on the first of every month. I have worn the, overnight in a few circumstances but not often and don’t love it when I do.
I use Air Optix with Hydraglyde.

I can’t afford the expense of daily contacts. The only time I have issues is when my allergies are bad or if I’ve been on a device for way too long.

I really would love to get LASIK one day, many people in my family have gotten it and love it.

Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 06-11-2020, 05:42 AM

I have used monthly disposables since I started wearing contacts in grade 9. I take them out every night, but I can go at least 6 weeks, often longer, before they need to be switched. I have used a few different brands through the years as the technology has improved and my dr has recommended switching.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Both
Old 06-11-2020, 06:31 AM

I actually have 2 week and daily. The daily are great when traveling, when Iím going to be at outside (pollen), and great to keep spare pair with me.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 06-11-2020, 07:57 AM

The irritation could be caused by lack of air. I just switched to monthlies that are extremely porous. I think theyíre Air Optic Plus Hydra Glide. I also find it helpful to wear my glasses in the evening and on weekends when Iím not going out.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 06-11-2020, 08:22 AM

I recently switched to the Air Optix hydra glide. Huge difference! I don’t wear my glasses at all. My optician also recommend Solo Care contact solution. I find it’s the most moisturizing solution I’ve used. Those two changes got rid of my dry eyes.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-11-2020, 09:33 AM

I wore the 2-week lenses for years, then switched to the monthly kind.

Because I have really dry eyes and allergy issues, I have found out that mine feel better when I use a cleaner designed for the one-year traditional contacts. It also makes them last longer. My doctor always compliments me on my eye health and contact lens cleanliness, so it must be working.

Iíve worn contacts for close to 40 years, and they are seriously soooo much easier to take care of nowadays.

I help myself remember when to switch to a new pair by keeping a schedule. I always switch monthly on the first day of the month. I always did my two week ones on the first and third Mondays of each month.

Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 06-11-2020, 09:34 AM

I wear monthly ones but instead of switching them out monthly, I buy more and switch them out when my eyes start getting irritated.
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Contacs
Old 06-11-2020, 05:26 PM

Are all these contacs the large ones that cover the iris and more? I wore contacs since I was 17 but canít get the large ones out due to either being afraid of the squeezing method or dry eye. I had no problem getting the smaller ones out. I hate wearing glasses now because of the peripheral vision being blocked, especially when I skate.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

AspenRed

Old 06-12-2020, 07:28 AM

I wear Aquatech daily disposible contacts. I love them. They are thin and don't cause my eyes to dry out.

In middle school I started off with contacts that lasted a year. Then, I started getting calcium deposits in my eyes. So my contacts were always filmy and the the cleaning solution made it worse. So, I had a lot of eye issues for a few years. Then I went to weeklies, and had the same problem. In college I tried dailies and was still getting calcium deposits. Last summer, I decided to try contacts again. I went with dailies because I didn't even want to deal with cleaning solutions and calcium deposits. They have been awesome. The price is worth it to me because I don't have to deal with the issues I had in the past. I haven't worn contacts since Covid-19, because I'm sitting at home.
AspenRed is offline   Reply With Quote