Help

The VENT

I made the mistake of reading the parent comments

>

GreyhoundGirl

I made the mistake of reading the parent comments
Old 08-04-2020, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district decided to go to 100% remote learning. Despite my mixed feelings about it, I made the mistake of reading the parent comments on the FB page. All 120 comments. Iím so hurt and insulted.

Apparently the 30 seconds of teachers being heroes in March is over.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-04-2020, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry that you are hurt. I think there are no real good answers. If I had young children and couldn't make my bills I would be struggling to find something that worked. I wouldn't take it too personally. It is getting rough for a lot of people.

I am so thankful I don't have school-aged children!

How long are you remote at this point?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-04-2020, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry that you are hurting GG. I know that you are a wonderful teacher but what you have posted. Just know that people are frustrated and teachers are the perfect foil to unload on.

The district I live in is suppose to go to remote learning until 11/20. Parents are having fits according to my niece. I too am glad I don't have children where I have to make the decision on what to do.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 08-04-2020, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah, it's pretty rough. 100% agree that there are no good solutions, but it's unfair to blast the teachers. We didn't create this situation, and shame on us for not wanting kids and their families to get sick/die.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-04-2020, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ugh, I got the snidest comment on another forum (Not a teaching one) where I expressed my concerns about schools not having adequate cleaning supplies. It was a post dripping with condescension, that she was sure "teachers could afford a $1 bottle of hand sanitizer" but if I couldnt , to pm her my address because she would be "happy" to mail me one.

It was epically obnoxious

Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-04-2020, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
We didn't create this situation, and shame on us for not wanting kids and their families to get sick/die.
This is what frustrates me so much. Feel the anger burning with the fire of a thousand suns. Absolutely. I am right there with them.

But direct that ire at the architect of this chaos and not at your fellow citizens who are doing their best to stay healthy AND working tirelessly to creatively find appropriate, engaging, and emotionally-supportive methods of educating all the children.

You know, doing their job and then some. For free at the moment.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 08-04-2020, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with you completely. We are opening with parents having the option to elect face to face or virtual learning. People are still complaining non-stop. It makes me so sad to see how little teachers are valued.

I saw this on Facebook and thought it was perfect.
Attachment

TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-05-2020, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hate this for everyone! Teachers are worried about safety, parents often need to get back to work, admins don't have a damn clue what's best, district level try to balance safety & educating the children.

NOBODY IS GOING TO GET IT RIGHT!!

There are going to be pissed off people no matter what. Just like on a bad weather day there ate those that support it and those who bash it.

Unfortunately anger is often misdirected. Plans in the spring were often not child or teacher friendly and that's a huge worry from all stakeholders. We all know there were those teachers who prepared packets and never contacted the students throughout the at home time. There were also teachers who worked so hard doing what is best. All those things play into the current fear from those same stakeholders.

Remember...you can't control their thoughts. You can only do your best and focus on the students!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-05-2020, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Start- I would have sent her your schoolís address and let her know how many bottles the school is in need of.

My school has said absolutely nothing about hand sanitizer or cleaning supplies. Normally these provided by parents and teachers. It was taken off the supply list so basically unless I purchase them myself we probably wonít be getting them.

Our union asked for touch less sanitizing stations for main areas in each school (front office, cafeteria, near exits/entrances, library, etc.) and the district said absolutely not.

We go back face to face on August 21st.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

trasie

Old 08-05-2020, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I donít know if this is true but a friend posted it on Facebook yesterday. Iíve been wondering if it could/did really happen.

Attachment

trasie is online now   Reply With Quote

I_hate_snakes

That's sucks
Old 08-05-2020, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was reading through my districts and it was a mixed bag. The comments that especially bother me are the 'homeschooling' ones and the ones that suggest we shouldn't get paid. Like that's not fair. I'm still doing work. I'll be recording lessons, contacting parents, creating grades, being liable for kids learning. And making your kids sit at a computer and do work isn't teaching or homeschooling...it's parenting.
I_hate_snakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Parent comments
Old 08-05-2020, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

the comments are rude over here, too. A local pastor, personal friend, husband of a teacher, and father of a middle school boy posted this last night. I was encouraged at the tactful way he has responded to the reality of what we are all facing.
Attachment

Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Starr
Old 08-05-2020, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would take her up on the hand sanitizer. Tell her you need one for each of the 100 kids you come in contact with.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Lol, I should have! Instead, I advised her to keep her dollar and buy some treats for her kids from the Dollar Tree (where she was so kindly offering to get the sanitizer from).

Anyway, she had conveniently ignored the rest of my post where I was describing the issues of windows that don't open and crowded bathroom situation. She just wanted to blame lazy teachers and greedy unions You can't have a rational discussion with someone like that.

desert flower

Clarity
Old 08-05-2020, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Op...I'm sorry you read the comments. Teachers won't win either way.

Clarity...please post reputable links stating that President Trump's son and rich friends' children won't be returning to school in person. I'd love to see the proof. Regardless, schools choosing to go remote have nothing to do with Trump. It's up to your state governor and superintendents.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-05-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

"[The Montgomery County] directive aligns with our most current thinking about how to open school well in September while protecting the health of our students, families, and employees," says the letter, which explains the decision to opt out of on-campus learning for the private school's 645 students.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/polit...ing/index.html

Relevant info: Maryland Health Department saying private schools need to open online only as well. Governor attempting to block that requirement.
The protest occurred on the same day Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan moved to invalidate a decision made by the health department in Montgomery County that said private schools should start the academic year online, just like public schools are.

One of those private schools is St. Andrews Episcopal School in Potomac, Md., where Trumpís son, Barron, attends.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-fake-coffins/
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Parent comments
Old 08-05-2020, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Same.

My favorite was

ďI demand you to give my property taxes back!!! You do not deserve your salary!!!Ē (Said to a teacher)
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

rogersmom

I hear you
Old 08-06-2020, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I've been so disappointed by the reaction of many parents in my district. Many are accusing us of 'wasting their tax dollars' by 'not working' during the spring. Yes, there were some teachers who took advantage of working from home to do almost nothing. But, to me, that is on the district to have not addressed these teachers at the time. Most teachers I know were working to the point of exhaustion trying to learn a new way of teaching, as our district gave us TWO HOURS notice that we were going on line. I understand child care is an issue. But too many people are equating school with childcare. Funny thing is, no parent wants to address the issue that many of them did not make sure their child was actually doing work. I can't tell you how many parents I had to call to say their kid was doing nothing but hitting the 'submit' button on Google classroom and telling their parents they were working.

I feel like teaching has become an abusive relationship pitting teachers against administrators and parents. When I started, years ago, teaching was still fun, and though there were still parents who denied their kids did anything wrong, admin still backed you up, and those parents were few and far between. I've become tired of this business, working hard, but always being told I suck.
rogersmom is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Paret Complaints
Old 08-06-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We have parents complaining for the sake of complaining. They all wanted virtual until the decision was made. Now that we are virtual with the district supplying devices to all, holding parent training, and still providing breakfast and lunch, they are still complaining. No matter what we do someone will still be mad about it.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

My Nephew's Response to Parents' Complaints
Old 08-06-2020, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have to share about my nephew and how he handled some negative comments.

Today, the PA governor announced that fall school sports might not happen. Of course, you can imagine some people's reactions and comments. My nephew will be a senior this year. He is an excellent swimmer. He worked and trained very hard. He qualified for Nationals this year. He was so excited, but they had to cancel Nationals in the spring due to the quarantine so you can imagine his disappointment. This is what my nephew wrote in response to the negative comments:

"The way I see this "possibly no high school sports until 2021" is that itís perfectly fine. Sports, in high school, are extracurricular activities. Notice the first part of that word, extra... In my eyes, sports are not essential or needed in the slightest. Sports, at this stage in our lives, are for making new friends and trying new things. 90% of kids are not going to be professional athletes.

It is for everyoneís safety, not a Democratic or Republican decision. It is for everyone to be as safe as possible. Itís not the best thing everyone wants to hear, but it might be necessary. I donít like all these petitions for PIAA to not cancel sports, because now sports are overriding these kids' education.

Whatever happens- happens. I am going to be a senior and there is nothing I want more than to break a few records and get a District title in swimming, but if every sport gets canceled until next year, I will help motivate and coach the upcoming swimmers to go after those same records. Please try to see the positivity in things as they happen, not the negative."

I warned my sister to prepare him for the backlash. You know how mean some people can be. My nephew is a good athlete and participates in sports year round, but he understands that this situation is not about him. He has empathy for others. His dream was to go to Nationals for swimming. I was sad for him when they had to cancel the event because I know how hard he worked and how much he wanted to be there. This young man makes me so proud. Now, if all of us adults could just start acting like the mature adults we are supposed to be and have his mindset...
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-06-2020, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My favorite are the comments saying they should fire all of the teachers who "don't want to work." Okay, genius, who do you think is going to replace them?? You? Really, there are people lining up wanting to be teachers right now?
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-06-2020, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

So true, Haley.
And you know the parents would complain even more bitterly about a whole slew of brand new, completely inexperienced teachers.

Dzani

Here
Old 08-07-2020, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

The parents here are so precious and im truly grateful for them. When the superintendent threatened to fire teachers if there wasn't enough face to face enrollment, the discussion was mostly along the lines of "I really feel bad for the teachers and I'd love to support them, but I just can't send my children into danger. "
Other community members, especially business owners? Friends? My own family, near and far? Administrators and even many other teachers? Yeah, not so much...
Dzani is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-07-2020, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Most teachers worked extremely hard during the shut down. I am amazed at what they accomplished especially since schools shut down here on a Friday after everyone had gone home and they were not allowed back in the building.

Sadly, there were teachers who did nothing but post website links to the textbooks. And were very vocal about how they were enjoying their time off. People who do not have kids in school see this and assume all teachers are doing this and the teacher bashing grows.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-08-2020, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Link here about school for President's son

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe.../#38276b8a7f01

I'm amazed at what teachers put up with. This country could have children and teachers returning to a safe environment . Instead children and teachers are returning to an unsafe environment for the sake of "childcare." and the economy. Unsafe because masks "are too uncomfortable" and "are against my rights." Unsafe because teachers will not be given PPE and sanitary working conditions.

Speak up about your working conditions. Find ways to advertise your working conditions. We will always be looked upon as babysitters until WE educate the public that we are more than that.

Last edited by anna; 08-08-2020 at 07:26 AM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 08-24-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Need that cash to feed that Jones
And the politicians throwing stones
Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down

-Grateful Dead, "Throwing Stones"
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote