Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Covid and Closures

>

Beach Glass

Covid and Closures
Old 08-08-2020, 05:14 PM

In our little town of 3000, with a geographical area equal to 2 Connecticuts, we’ve had 3 food establishments within the last 24 hours close because employees tested positive for Covid.

These closures constitute about a third of our local food establishments

So what happens if the one and only grocery store has employees testing positive? Would they close for 2 weeks??!! The next nearest grocery is 90 miles north or 60 miles south.

Yikes.

Last edited by Beach Glass; 08-09-2020 at 05:22 AM..
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-08-2020, 05:24 PM

Yikes is right. I feel for you guys in the tiny towns that have just 1 or 2 grocery stores or 1 or 2 of whatever other essential stores there are.

I guess there's nothing else to do but plan a big trip* and get as much as you can to last at least a month...plenty of frozen and canned foods.

* When I say, "big trip", I wasn't thinking of spending the night, but some people might just have to do that every 1-2 mos. Hopeully you can just make a day trip out of it.

Last edited by MAsped; 08-08-2020 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Clarified something
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Oh my!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:40 PM

That is a really bad spot to be in, isnít it? I, too, would do a stock up just in case. Thinking good thoughts for your community.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-08-2020, 05:59 PM

This is a problem I have never even considered living in a medium sized city with others like Jacksonville and Orlando within an hour's drive. Actually with the exception of our panhandle I don't think there is any town or rural area more than about an hour's drive away in the entire state. I guess as others said you would just have to plan a time to travel there and stock up! Lets hope no one in your local grocery tests positive!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

My other
Old 08-08-2020, 06:58 PM

thought is what kind of healthcare facility do you have there? Do you have a hospital? If not, what if someone gets very sick? I agree with the previous posters, stock up as much as possible.

letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 08-09-2020, 04:02 AM

The first question I would want answered is how were they tested? There is a rapid test that creates false positives. Then a blood test will show negative (but that takes days to process).

Good question about that grocery store, but if all grocery store employees are following protocol (wearing masks and social distancing as much as possible) transmission chance is low.

I am all for precautions, but at some point it goes just too far. Closing the only grocery store for 60-90 miles would be unacceptable.