Help

The VENT

Does this really sound safe?

>

Chipmunk15

Does this really sound safe?
Old 08-09-2020, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Where I live, most districts are doing the hybrid model. My district is sending us five days a week, no deep clean day, and the maximum number of kids per room (14-15) What if we get a new kid? I had 18 last year. How is this safe? They thought more parents would want online only, but don't seem to be picking it.

Chipmunk15 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 08-09-2020, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Depends. Sounds safe IF:

Rates are low in your area
You have enough space in your classroom to have 6 feet between every kid and yourself
Everyone is required to wear a mask
Your room has excellent ventilation with windows and doors that open to let in fresh air continually, and/or some powerful air purifier/filters.

If you can answer yes to all of these questions, then I think your risk isn't too bad. If you answered no to any, it's questionable.

I would honestly not worry so much about "deep cleaning". What they do know about this virus now is that the primary method of transmission is airborne- breathing in particles that someone is expelling into the air. It's mostly not carried on surfaces or by touch. If you wipe down doorknobs and other frequently touched surfaces with a Clorox wipe a couple of times a day, and have kids use hand sanitizer frequently, you should be ok on that front.

The other stuff on the list is much more important.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-09-2020, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think the hybrid model sounds the most dangerous of all. In that scenario, the teacher is still exposed to all students, so it's not really lessening exposure at all. And on the "off days," many students have to go somewhere else for childcare. Even if it's not an actual day care center, they may be bouncing around to different relatives or neighbors. Thus increasing the number of contacts they have, which in turn increases risk for everyone at school.

I know that theoretically the idea behind hybrid is that you can implement 6 foot distancing with less kids in the room. Honestly I just don't think there is any way to actually keep kids 6 feet apart all day long, even if there is physical space to do so. And I feel like the research is not really there for how effective the 6 foot deal is if you're in the same room with those people for 7 hours.

We are 100% in person and classes will be bigger than 14-15. Still low 20s in some cases. My district is really banking on the idea that young children don't catch/spread it as much and that masks are highly effective. I think we're about to see that "young kids don't get it as much" because they haven't been in school. So really, we're seeing if masks are as effective as they are now saying they are.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

No it does not sound safe to me
Old 08-09-2020, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

New students should have to quarantine in my opinion. I still can't believe schools are starting up in person. I am so sorry you are in that position. mad at the systems like this!
Teachers and their family's lives matter too.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 08-09-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I’m going to have about 13 kids in my hybrid model each day. You are lucky you have such low numbers normally.

cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Old 08-09-2020, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Who is teaching the students who choose online only?
tgbwc is online now   Reply With Quote

Chipmunk15

Old 08-09-2020, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree. I will not get to see my elderly parents until ??? I guess I had better make my last in person, at a distance, mask on and no hug before the year begins.

Chipmunk15

Old 08-09-2020, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Me for that too. I have no idea how or when while I try to teach the 15.

Ima Teacher

Old 08-09-2020, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iím doing hybrid. Iíll have four classes of 24 student. I will have 14 or 15 in each class coming twice a week. The other three days they will be at home. The remaining 10 or so kids in each class will be doing a completely different remote curriculum. They will only have contact with me on Wednesday. We have no kids in the building on Wednesdays. Kids travel together all day. My kids come Thursday and Friday. The other half of the grade level comes Monday and Tuesday.

DH is doing regular schedule. Kids donít switch classes. Teachers switch. He hasnít seen his rosters yet, so he doesnít know how many kids he will have. Usually he has smaller classes than I do, so Iíd expect that this year as well. Their are in person five days. The remote kids are taught by different teachers.

Who knows how all this will turn out.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 08-10-2020, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our district offered remote learning, but only about 20% are opting for it. Our grade level class sizes were supposed to be at capacity this year, so weíll still have about 23 students each 5 days a week. No way to have safe distances with those numbers. Iím just going to be careful & do the best I can. Iím realistic, though. Iíve updated my medical power of attorney, living will, & will. Iím overweight, so I know my risks are higher.

roo is offline   Reply With Quote

skrat

This year is unbelievable
Old 08-10-2020, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our district is starting in person with minimal protections. Our Covid cases in our county are not dropping off, we’ve been designated a red zone. Masks not required for anybody, no deep cleaning days, no hybrid. We are supposed to space the kids 3 to 6 feet apart when possible. I am angry that I can’t afford not to return and that in turn I must send my own kids into this mess. My district is also not offering online options, except for ones that are already established through our state. I considered this for my kids, but the time I would have to put in as their “learning coach” was not going to be feasible for me being a full time teacher with my district also.

Last edited by skrat; 08-10-2020 at 08:00 AM..
skrat is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

40-50 kids 2x a week
Old 08-10-2020, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach grades 5-8, so in our hybrid model, I’ll see 40-50 kids on Monday & Tuesday. Then I’ll see the other 40-50 on Thursday & Friday. Wednesday all kids do distance, half day...teachers meeting time. There is an online option- they zoom with us as we teach.

Do I feel safe? Heck no!!! I have several risk factors, so I am very concerned.

I wish I could retire.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 08-11-2020, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

40% of our kids picked virtual, but they pulled two teachers from my grade level/subject to teach virtually, so we still have 21-22 kids in a classroom. No way you can spread out that many kids 6 feet apart.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We are going back hybrid which means four days in person, one day remote. The theory is that our classrooms will be deep cleaned on the day the students are not there. We are offering an online version but classes are still ranging from16-18 students. I am extremely nervous for all. I worry about students (even though they are young, they can still get very ill), staff and our families. If our school loses any student or staff it will be devastating. If any of our students lose a family member, it will also be devastating. Education is important, but so is physical and emotional health. I have shared my opinion but I am not a decision maker. I am a teacher. I will teach my students because that is what I do. Teachers, bus drivers, janitors, and cafeteria workers are all heroes. They always were to me....but now even more so. We will get through this.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Not Safe
Old 08-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

To me, the only thing "safe" now is 100% online. We are mostly doing hybrid. However, now some kids will come all four days? Some just two. I think the ones who are coming all four are special needs. We do have the "deep clean" day.

I am glad that more people agree that ventilation is more important than surface cleaning. We have no air, no vents, and not every classroom has windows. If we have fans, we have to provide them and they often get stolen. Basically, things aren't looking great.

Our cases are up, but not high enough for us to be considered for all online. Sadly, we might be there soon, I'm just not sure if soon enough.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ_ROCKS

Old 08-12-2020, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi Iím new here. I just wanted to get a real feel of what other districts are proposing. Mine is opening in September, with the option for remote and teachers are going in and teaching 2 cohorts a week. I have two kids in the same school so Iím very torn because they want to go back but I donít think itís safe. I feel like no one understands where weíre coming from. Teachers literally went from heroís to zeros in 2 seconds.😞
NJ_ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote