Help

BusyBoard

Training Student Teachers

>

Song of Joy

Training Student Teachers
Old 08-09-2020, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My ex-teaching partner is taking on a student teacher this year. I wonder how that will work and if the student teacher will learn classroom management if teaching is done remotely.

Do you think student teachers will have a valid experience this year? If not, what should be done instead?

Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Not sure
Old 08-09-2020, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, I don't know anything about your ex-teaching partner, and I don't know anything about the student teacher.

While I definitely don't think e-learning can replace in person instruction, I think it's a good skill to have. We had interviews for an open position at my school and my principal only wanted people with experience e-learning. One 1st year teacher who student taught during e-learning was hired for one of our positions. I' sure that gave her an edge over others. I think about those who student taught in the fall of 19 and didn't get that e-learning experience.

Will they have a valid experience? I think they will have a meaningful experience if the cooperating teacher involves them and if the student teachers put for the effort. If they had other practicums or volunteered in person, that will help, too. If they are passionate about the field and keep up to date on trends through classes, journals, books, online resources, etc. I think they will do fine with in person. There maybe some things the new teacher will need to learn, but we all have something to learn/work on!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

Yes and no
Old 08-09-2020, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They may not get the same experience with in-person Classroom management but they will get to experience seeing virtual classrooms and students "managed" by experienced teachers.

This will eventually help them as I think more and more schools will go to this model for other future events. I think we do not know what the future of Covid looks or feels like (or if another outbreak/epidemic may happen.) Some schools want to adopt this model for snow/ice days or school closures due to the flu or other illness. Some schools may go this route when they outgrow physical buildings and want to prevent overcrowding.

I think now that we have opened this up, it is here to stay. All teachers will eventually need to know how to do this.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-09-2020, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My niece told me the other day that her SO's cousin is in her senior year as a teacher and she will not have a placement this fall. She will be tutoring my grandniece.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-09-2020, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just found out I'm getting a student teacher. I basically told her that we will be learning it together. Even if she doesn't get the in-person experience I think they need, she will definitely get lots of experience in collaboration, innovation, and trial and error.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-09-2020, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think the remote learning will be a valuable experience. I'm not sure what programs look like in your area, but in mine, student teachers often only fully take over for something like 2 weeks anyway. That's not what my ST experience was like at all, but it's the norm here. So I'm not sure how much they'd really be missing as far as learning management.

I honestly think so much of stuff like classroom management is just learned on the job anyway. My ST was a full year where I was fully in charge for about half of the year. I was placed in a rural school that was title 1, but had just met the threshold to be considered title 1. I thought my management skills were pretty good. When I got a teaching job in an urban area, I discovered I knew nothing about management . A whole different skill set is required to be successful in this setting, but I learned it and now thrive in that area.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
GoodEnough85
Old 08-09-2020, 05:30 PM
This message has been deleted by GoodEnough85.

Ima Teacher

Old 08-09-2020, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In general, student teaching isn’t a really good indicator of what the real classroom is like when you get your own anyway. I think they’ll be fine. Honestly a regular classroom would seem easy after being in all this mess.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote