Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Question About Your Tolerance Level

>

MAsped

Question About Your Tolerance Level
Old 08-10-2020, 10:01 AM

My fiance's a little more impatient about things than I am. I think I'm logical with what I'll put up with and I'm curious about what others would do. (Maybe it's just a male thing...that men are more impatient.)

Here's a few examples:

1) We live in an apt. One year around Christmastime, the upstairs neighbor was using what sounded like an electric saw to cut something up during the 9pm hour...probably his tree. I think it was just one night, but for 2-3 hrs.

Now, I blocked out the noise, but fiance' was all irritated and ended up going upstairs and knocking on the person's door and they stopped.

I'd only start getting irritated once I saw if it was getting to be a nightly habit of maybe 3-4+ nights in a row.

2) In these COVID times, we all know deliveries take long when we order things. That being said, fiance' and I have ordered things. I've waited for 2 mos for some things while keeping track of shipping so it's not like it was lost out there at the time.

Fiance' orders things and gets impatient if it's longer than a month.

3) One time yrs ago, fiance' and I were waiting in the waiting room because he had to take a TB test for his job at the time. Well, it was at the country health bldg and was taking a while for his name to be called. He was starting to get impatient, but I'm telling him how things like this take time. They called him probably in another 15 min.

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Tolerance
Old 08-10-2020, 11:45 AM

My low tolerance for irritants doesn't result in coming unglued or making a scene, but I do get upset and it can wreck my day if it is bad enough.

I have a lot of tolerance for:

1. Waiting in line, or waiting my turn, in general
2. Having to explain things multiple times for someone who genuinely doesn't understand, or has trouble with hearing
3. Traffic
4. Waiting for food to arrive in a restaurant
5. Disappointing purchases, like when something arrives in the wrong size or is broken

I have minimal tolerance for:

1. Repetitive noise I can't escape from (barking dogs at night, someone talking loudly on their phone, music that is invasive). I have pretty bad noise sensitivity.

2. Overly warm or cold rooms make it difficult for me to function, and I can't really be present and learn if I'm stuck in a room that doesn't have a reasonable temp.

3. The silent treatment. I'd like to think I'm a forgiving person, and I understand the need to step back and take some time to think, but the silent treatment downgrades my opinion of someone permanently. I saw family members do this when I was growing up and it really made an impression on me.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-10-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Fiance' orders things and gets impatient if it's longer than a month.
I guess I am super impatient. I get annoyed if it takes longer than a week
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

My reaction
Old 08-10-2020, 03:03 PM

I'll be honest that all of those things would bother me, but none of those things would bother me so much I'd say something.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-10-2020, 06:05 PM

My DH has incredible,patience. My . . . it varies.

We both have little tolerance for people who canít/wonít do their jobs and stupid people.

Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-10-2020, 07:14 PM

I'm just chalking it up to he and I agree to disagree about certain things, so that's fine. Based on those 3 examples PLUS other various situations, I KNOW I'm more patient and tolerant about things than he is. Everyone has different personalities. (And just to clarify, this isn't to say he's totally unreasonable, anal, unbearable, etc. whatsoever by any means.)
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote