Help

Teachers' Lounge

Stein Mart Stores Going Out of Business :(

>

MAsped

Stein Mart Stores Going Out of Business :(
Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...us/3354606001/

I heard about it yesterday and got an email from them today informing about a GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE.

I fear that so many stores will close due to COVID, including some entire malls that we won't have any fun in-person shopping or just strolling around to look forward to when places finally reopen again.

I went to the malls quite a lot, often just to stroll around.

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

csb/5th

Old 08-13-2020, 08:18 AM

MAsped, I agree about soon not having places to do fun in-store shopping. Our malls are pitiful here. They arenít going to last long. I miss going to a mall for a fun day of shopping and maybe eating or going to a movie while there. Makes me so sad.
csb/5th is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-13-2020, 08:31 AM

Malls have been fading for awhile, and I think the pandemic will be the end of a lot of them. I never shopped at SteinMart, but it's too bad they are closing.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

I agee
Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 AM

The malls are not doing well. I like to go there to walk.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 08-13-2020, 08:55 AM

I think malls are becoming dinosaurs. It's just not the way people shop now. They've been failing where I live for at least a decade. I only go to a regional department store at my nearest mall, enter and leave directly from the parking lot, and never wander through the other increasingly empty stores. Malls have become ghost towns in the same way downtown shopping disappeared in many places.

I used to like Steinmart in my nearby city but haven't shopped there in probably 20 years. I'm sorry for all their employees and worry where people will find jobs now that everyone lives their lives online. That was mostly true even before Covid19. I miss a real world and all it had/has to offer.

Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Very sorry to hear...
Old 08-13-2020, 09:26 AM

There were no Steinmart stores in my part of NJ, but when I would visit my Mom in south Florida, she had one. I enjoyed looking for gifts there. They had really interesting clothing and jewelry, and the prices were reasonable. I am sorry to hear that they are yet another casualty of the pandemic, and the jobs along with it that are affected.

I like to shop at Talbots, Ann Taylor and Chicos, especially their company stores. They have reopened, but I know I don't really need anything because I am not going anywhere, and when the summer started, they had fantastic sales online, which I took full advantage of. All three chains are not doing well. I wonder where I will shop if they go out of business. Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

lucydoodle

Sad
Old 08-13-2020, 10:18 AM

I love Stein Mart and will miss shopping there
lucydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-13-2020, 10:21 AM

Our malls around here have been dead for years.. way before COVID.

Our closest mall is basically a TD Bank call center, JC Penney, and a place for the owner of the mall (George Schott) to store overflow from his motorcycle business. Quite a few stores closed down in 2015 and soon after.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-13-2020, 11:08 AM

We have a few around here but I have never been to one. Shopping at a mall and catching a movie were a couple of the main things I would do with free time on the weekends. It is what everyone used to do. What do people do now sit at home?

On weekends that my husband would drive Uber, I would go to a movie. With the movie theaters closed, I was going to a restaurant with my lawn chair just outside of the patio area, eat the curbside pickup and listen to live music. At least a couple of places around here are doing that. Otherwise, it is me and the tv at home. At least I usually have some baseball games I can watch now.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 08-13-2020, 11:43 AM

I don't have a Stein Mart near me, but my elderly mother loves Stein Mart and will be so sad. And as far as malls in general, I have to try on clothes and shoes to make sure they fit, so online shopping doesn't work well for me. I also like to just walk and look around in malls.

TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-13-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Shopping at a mall and catching a movie were a couple of the main things I would do with free time on the weekends. It is what everyone used to do. What do people do now sit at home?
jazzer, I agree! Whare are people supposed to do? I went to BOTH very, very often before COVID. I don't go to bars, lounges, pubs, pool halls, clubs, or the like, so there's not that many places for me to go on a regular basis for FREE or very cheaply. (I really like amusement parks and museums, but you can go to them everyday. And I'm not a beach, hiking, or park person as in the regular park.)

Starr

Old 08-13-2020, 12:14 PM

Nothing lasts forever. Department stores put individual stores out of business. Malls put mom and pop stores out of business. Remember when there was a Waldenbooks in every mall? Then Barnes and Noble put them out. Amazon is putting B&N out. Supposedly indie bookstores are making a comeback. That's just the economic cycle. I feel for the workers....
Where I live outdoor chain strip shops are making a comeback, instead of indoor malls. Post covid, that makes more sense. Easy to have outdoor eating areas etc.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-13-2020, 01:21 PM

Starr, so true. I was about to say the word CYCLE too. I personally like going to shopping areas where a whole bunch of different stores are all together. I don't like to drive to one type of store, then get in my car and go to another type of store.

Yep, I still miss Borders, Blockbuster, DVD Planet, Second Spin (another DVD store). Yep, Waldenbooks and B. Dalton...

jks

Old 08-14-2020, 02:49 AM

We didn't have a SteinMart in my city, but there is one about 45 min. away. Several years ago, my brother decided to get remarried and his new wife wanted a big ceremony with me as a bridesmaid. Now where would a 48 year old find a long bridesmaid dress relatively cheap.... StienMart! I got the dress and a piece of jewelry to match for about $50. Good memories!
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 08-14-2020, 12:16 PM

This is really sad! I shopped in there regularly, although over the last year or so, their merchandise was disappointing. I'm sad to see them go.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote