Help

ARCHIVE

Missing Work Suggestions

>

frogteacher58

Missing Work Suggestions
Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I felt like I wasted SO much time last year constantly going through my grade book and writing down assignments for students and writing their name on the board with the assignments they are missing.

What do you do? I'm sure there has to be an easier way!

frogteacher58 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Missing Assignments
Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I write the missing assignment and name of the child on a piece of white paper (landscaped) or construction paper. That way, names can be crossed-off as work is completed. I hang it on the board with a magnet.

It is easy to recopy it and add assignments/names as needed. Before recess, I look at the paper and let students know who is staying and who is going to recess.
ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote

jourdansmom97

Missing Work
Old 07-24-2008, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a bright yellow pocket folder hanging that has a bandaid on it and it says WE MISSED YOU!! The students have been taught to go there and get whatever assignment they missed.
jourdansmom97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynne3

Chart
Old 07-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not sure if you're talking about work students miss because they're absent or work that just doesn't get turned in. I felt this way last year with work not getting turned in, so this is what I'm going to try for that. I got a poster chart where I can put my class list down the side, then across the top it is divided into 5 sections (1 for each day) with spaces for assignments underneath each. It looks just like the paper chart I normally use to keep track of work. I'm planning to write each assigment given under the day given and then when students turn in their paper, they will be responsible for marking it off. By the end of the week they must have all assignments marked off in order to have reward and if they don't they'll have to complete it then. This may be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping to be caught up at the end of each week.
Lynne3 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

class list
Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use a class list and highlight any student who did not turn it in. Then when they do I cross their name off. I write the name of the assignment on the top. When all have turned in I throw it away. It is the best I have come up with and I've been doing this job for a long time!

crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

huskies2

Missing Work Idea
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like Lynne's idea of the poster. I feel frustrated every year due to my inability to keep up with missing work. It seems that I get close to the end of a quarter and I am frantically trying to get students caught up. In the past I've taped a small sheet of notebook paper to the corner of each student's desk. If the paper is blank, the student gets a small reward. If there is missing work listed, the student must get caught up before they receive their reward. Sometimes it's my fault that I didn't get the student their work if they were absent, so I don't know that this system is really fair.
huskies2 is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My school has a it is due when it is due expectation. If students fail to turn work in on time, they will go to detention and if the entire assignment is completed then they will earn half credit. If the go and choose to waste time, they will earn a zero. There is no do it two days later and get credit. If students turn in work partially completed then earn an appropriate score for how much is complete. Rarely, do I have more than one or two with missing or incomplete work.

How I keep track of who has what is by having my student helper put the work in number order. Each students is assigned a number and must write this number in the upper right hand corner, so I can easily see who failed to turn in work. I have a check sheet on which I record this information, or I can note what percent they received for the assignment.

I encourage people to stop taking all that time hunting students down. My first teaching assignment, I did this and drove myself crazy. Those who didn't turn in the first time, still didn't turn in it after being given additional chances.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

leshutton

Missing Work
Old 07-25-2008, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This system seems to work for me.
If a student is absent, I have about 10 absent work folders with a big A on the front. If a child is absent, I teach my class that it is their neighbor's responsibility (someone who sits at the same table) to put any papers that I pass out in the folder. I also have a sheet that says "We Missed You" where the neighbor can write in the assignment that we did. I also write on the sheet if it is a detailed lesson. The neighbor is also responsible for getting out any textbooks we use during the day. I try to find a neighbor or sibling that will take the work home if a parent hasn't come to get it. I have a label on the folder that says:"Complete this work and return the folder to school along with the work whether it is complete or not." This keeps "mom" from holding the work at home when they return to school (so they won't have to miss recess).
I also have an Incomplete Work folder for each child. Eveyone's is always the same color. Students know that they are not allowed to put any work that is incomplete in their desk. It must go in the folder. Right before recess, they have to show me that their folder is empty to go outside, or to lunch, etc. I also have one of those plastic round haning drying racks that I hang right by my classroom door. If I have any tests or very important assignments that I do not want to get lost (like a week's worth of a writing assignment), I hang it on that clip, and students know that they have to get it off the clip to work on it, and then put it back if they run out of time.
Another thing I do is have my teaching assistant (or student helpers) go through stacks of turned in work to see whose is missing. They put the stack in number order (I give my students numbers alphabetically), and write the missing work on a post it note and stick it on the top of the stack. This saves me from getting home at night, trying to grade, and find that work is missing.
Using this system, I rarely have to go "hunt" for missing work.
Hope this helps!
leshutton is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

missing assignments
Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have the problem of missing assignments. It's not easy to keep up because we have so many pull-out programs, that I feel like I have a revolving door! I can't always remember off the top of my head whose papers I should have, therefore, some incomplete work escapes my notice fairly often.

I assign my students numbers at the beginning of the year. I made a chart with squares that have all the numbers on them. When I check my gradebook, I note which assignments are missing and write them on a square post-it. I stick the post-its on the chart over the numbers. I can look at the chart, see there's a post-it on number 4, look at the post-it to see which assignment it is, and ask little Johnny for it. The post-it stays up until all the work is turned in. If there are multiple assignments on the sheet, I cross them off as they are completed. When all are done, the post-it is trash!
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

jbug

I know the feeling....
Old 07-25-2008, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

it drove me crazy trying to get the same 3 or 4 kids to turn in their missing work. (not absent work; just work they did not turn in).

Volstate, you are fortunate! I wish our school had a school-wide policy about this and that it was enforced! Our principal last year told one teacher that she couldn't give the student a zero for the work being late! (It was the principal's first year) He obviously never tried to keep up with students not turning in their work.

I may try to do what crazy4catz does. I did this the first year I taught 3rd grade, and just got away from it last year.

jbug is offline   Reply With Quote

camp823

I use
Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use a spiral. In the spiral I write each kid's name on a different sheet. When they do not turn in an assignment, I write the date, and the assignment. When they turn it in I write that date on the other side of the assignment. Example:

John Smith

7/25 Math workbook page 123 7/29

This way I can share with a parent if it is a reoccuring problem. I can tell them how many days late it was, how many points they missed because it was late, and how many assignments were late that six weeks. (I start a new page every six weeks.) Every friday I use the spiral to help me with the reports I send home letting parents know of missing/late work.

One parent conference I told a parent that her daughter had missed 450 points because of late work.
camp823 is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

Grade book
Old 07-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I collect the work in the morning. (Monday work turned in Tuesday) If a child does not bring up their work to me, I know right away and stamp a parent signature stamp in their planner. I let parents know that this is my one and only time about telling them. I won't hunt them down and keep asking for the work. The kids receive 10% off their grade for each day late. After 5 days, they still have to do the work but receive 0 credit. I let parents know at back to school night.

For myself, I mark it in my gradebook with a O in the square. When it is turned in, I write the percentage in the circle. That way at conferences I can count how many late assignments they had.

I also show students how to average their grade. I then show them what a "0" does to their grade. They are usually shocked that a missing assignment hurts the grade so much. It's a good math lesson and an eye opener for them.
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

lea123

leshutton
Old 07-27-2008, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I used a similar method with the folder marked with an A for students who were absent. The other students in his/her group were responsible for making sure the assignments were put in the folder.
I didn't use the incomplete work folders though. I will use that idea this year. I hope it helps me keep up with missing work. I do have a question though...what is the round hanging drying rack? Can you describe it a little more or attach a picture? I can't picture what it is exactly and how you hang it. Thanks...
lea123 is offline   Reply With Quote

leshutton

Drying Rack
Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think I got it at Dollar Tree or a dollar store- You can find it in the laundry aisle. It is a small plastic circle with a chain hook at the top. On the circle are about 10-12 plastic clothespins. I think it is really designed to hang hand washables to dry. I hung the work on the clothes pins and then hung the rack close to my classroom door so that I wouldn't forget anything hung on it.
leshutton is offline   Reply With Quote

imafostermom

missing homework slips
Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=15721
http://www.teachertools.org/forms_dynam.asp
http://teachers.net/wong/SEP06/wongprint.html (Harry Wong)
imafostermom is offline   Reply With Quote

JenNJdance

White Board
Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I bought a large white board and sectioned it off in boxes. When the kids come in without their homework, they have to write their name in one of the boxes. The boxes have headings of the different homework assignments such as "Spelling" or "Reading Log" or "Math Homelink" and they just put their name under the one that they didn't do. Then I can just easily look at it before lunch to see who's coming in at recess. As they finish, they just erase their name from the board.
JenNJdance is offline   Reply With Quote

Cindy B

Missing work
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

As a 3rd grade teacher, I had difficulties with children not telling the truth about turning in their work. Your ideas are very useful! I will be altering my system this year.

I used a black milk crate filing system with each child's name on a hanging folder. They turned in their daily work there. This year, I will have a classroom job of gathering the items from the student folders and writing the student number that has a missing paper for the top of the pile.

We used agenda books to help keep it organized and parents notified. I still had issues with parents at conference time. To deal with that, I will use the suggested notebook idea...date due and date turned in with grade.

Thanks for the ideas!
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote

amylea77

been there!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I have so been in your place! This year I decided NO MORE! This is my plan: I have created a MIA slip (Missing or Incomplete Assigment) that I will require a student to fill out if they do not have there homework in the morning. This will be on a bright colored paper. I check folders when I do attendance so this is easy for me to do. I don't want to hear there excuse, they can write it down and the form will be sent home and must be signed and returned with the complete assignment or they get a zero. As far as class work that they don't finish, I am putting out a file box that has everyone's name and if they don't have an assignment finished when the time is up, they MUST put it in their folder, not in the desk! I have tried folders inside the desk to hold incomplete work and it just does not work. For any work that is put in this folder, they can work on it when they have extra time or else it is sent home at the end of the day to be returned the next day. I will check these folders every night before they leave.

I am pretty sure that I will have some sort of consequence if I find unfinished work in their desk (like they have to do it during recess).

Requiring the MIA form to be signed and returned allows me to know that parents saw that something was late or not done, and I will file it in the folders I keep on each student for conference time.

Hopefully I have helped spark some sort of plan for you too! Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: doc MIAalert.doc (28.0 KB, 68 views)
amylea77 is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The PP reminded of a strategy I use with disorganized students, you know the ones who always have their work, just not in the right place! They have spiral notebook and this is where they do all their work. The entire notebook is turned in at the end of the day, and papers do not get torn out until I say it is ok. For some reason, certain students ( especially some ADD/ADHD students) remember the notebook. I guess it helps get rid of some of those messages that get lost there. When I have a student on this strategy, we set up goals so that eventually they are able to turn in assignments one subject at a time. They need that skill for when the go to middle school.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

Aurora

Old 07-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My strategy is very similar to amylea77's. My missing assignment slips are called Howlers (Harry Potter reference) and go home with that day's missing homework.

http://www.msyorksclass.net/featured...signment-slip/
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote