Help

Sixth Grade

New Teacher Next Door

>

ms_d

New Teacher Next Door
Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The guy next door is a first year teacher, and bless his heart, he has no control. He's such a nice guy and works so hard to plan these great lessons, but the students are not responding. Everyday, I think a fight has broken out in the room next to mine. I've gone over there and gotten the kids to settle down numerous times, but I hate to do that to him. I only do it when the noise is just too much of a disruption to my own. I've tried to give him advice, but I don't know if he's not taking it or what he is doing in there. He has a mentor teacher (who is no help at all to him) and he's very open minded. I just don't know what to do for him.

ms_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. Mark

Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm also a first year teacher and i have to admit that my class does get loud at times (although the teachers next door always say they never hear us). I wonder what he is using as a classroom manangement tool or behaviour plan? You could suggest he look into starting up a classroom economy. Right after the winter break would be the best time to implement something new like that. I guess all you can really do is continue to offer advice...it is up to him to accept it or not!
Mr. Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

ms_d

Classroom Economy
Old 12-16-2008, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds interesting...can you explain that?
ms_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. Mark

Classroom Economy
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They can be made very simple or very complex. Some teachers give each student a small notebook(like a bank book) in which they keep track of deposits and withdrawls. Deposits can be made for homework completion, excellent behaviour, being helpful, etc. The teacher can make a withdrawl from the account for poor behaviour, if the student needs to buy a pencil, no homework completion, etc. Students can use the money in their account to buy items from the classroom store. Beth Newingham has a very complex economy explained on her website http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

That all seemed like a little bit too much work for me so I adapted a simpler version from another teacher. I have a bunch of fake money (I call mine Mr. Mark's Money) printed on colourful paper. Each student has an envelope in which they store their money. I give out money for great behaviour, homework completion, etc. The students owe me a dollar if they forget to stack their chair at end of the day, they are last in line, etc. Once a month I hold a classroom auction of items from the $1 store. It works great and the kids LOVE it!

If I haven't explained anything clearly or you'd like more info just let me know.
Mr. Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

WildcatBarb85

first year teacher
Old 02-06-2009, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The new teacher across the hall from me has trouble with her class as well. I've offered advice as well as her mentor but she ignores everything--from advice on classroom control to preparing for state assessments. It has been a problem all year--she knows everything. I'm interested in any advice to give to new teachers---and getting them to listen. I'm a 25 year veteran and as a new teacher 25 years ago, I would have jumped on any advice given to me.

WildcatBarb85 is offline   Reply With Quote