Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Books that Hook?

>

goldie23

Books that Hook?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wondering if any of you have any book suggestions for students who dislike reading? Several of my students select books based on font size (the larger, the better), and number of pages (the fewer, the better). They are overwhelmed by the daunting task of reading books and rarely select books at their grade level......largely because they are also reading about a year below grade level. Their parents are calling me at wits end, because nightly reading is a huge chore....HELP! I have lots of names of books, however, have you had any experiences with "BOOKS THAT HOOK"?? I need to get these kids (boys and girls) enthusiastic and motivated to read!!!! BTW, I teach grade 5 and 6 students, most of whom have Learning Disabilities.

goldie23 is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

books
Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 5th grade and I have good luck with reluctant readers reading the Abridged Classics. I have a whole collection of the ones they sell in stores like Costco or Walmart. They have titles like Moby Dick, Treasure Island etc. I can find the publisher if you'd like but I'm at home right now so don't know it. They are thick books so the kids feel good about them, plus the content is a captivating story with an easy vocab.

Many of my reluctant readers like Bill Wallace books also.
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Series?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe you should read some series books aloud in class to get them hooked. Then they hopefully will want to read another one in the series. I would select humorous ones like Dav Pilkey's Captain Underpants, Jon Scieszka Time Wrap Trio and Henry Winkler's books about Hank Zipper. They are all fast reads and appeal to many kids who are not well read. Also try picture books by Chris VanAllsburg they are quick reads but thought provoking. Also try reading The Secret Knowledge of Grownups. They will love it. Then they can read the second one on their own. Also try humorous poetry collections by Silverstein and Prelutzsky. Hope your school library has these books so you can check them out and see if they will work for your students. Oh, one more idea when the library throws out old magazines get them for your classroom. My students love reading magazines and take them to lunch. The favorite is Nick. I know this is not quality reading, but it is a starting point.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Another one
Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Also try Joey Pigza books by Jack Gantos. The main character has ADHD and has many funny adventures. His family is pretty dysfuntional plus their is reference to alcohol and drinking so preread to make sure it is not objectional for your group.

sag

Books
Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Magic Tree House series (lower level, short)
Baily School Kids series (lower level, short)
Andrew Clements books
Bruce Coville's Magic Shop series
Lower level nonfiction (ie Pebbles)

sag is offline   Reply With Quote

goldie23

Book Recommendations for Reluctant Readers
Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for your suggestions. I think that part of the challenge is that we are a middle school (5-8), and our library does not stock a large variety of the lower level books that would be available in a K-8 school. Our librarian has just ordered some more Magic Tree House, and new to our collection are the Hank Zipzer books.

I am looking forward to checking out some of the other suggestions you have made. I like to read higher level books for the read alouds, because generally my students' comprehension levels are superior to their decoding abilities. As for the independent reading time, we are struggling to find books that hold their interest and are "just right" for their level of reading---without appearing too "primary" specifically amoungst their peers.

kelseydoyle

Reluctant Reader
Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Diary of a Wimpy Kid--we have a huge waiting list for this series in our library

Spiderwick Chronicles...tiny books, but you have to read all 5 books to get the whole story
kelseydoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There's a Boy In the Girls' Bathroom is so funny, and has turned a lot of my reluctant readers into readers. I covered another class one day and there were no lesson plans, so while i was in there, I brought in my set of books and started reading. This class has had severe issues all of their lives at my school. More than half of them asked to borrow a copy.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiesmom

Gary Paulsen
Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

has a couple of books that I use to hook reluctant readers, especially boys. One is Escape to Fire Mountain. I can't remember the name of the others. They are thin chapter books that most boys who don't like to read, will read. Another one is the Spiderwick series. They are absolutely wonderful quick reads. Girls like them also. Girls who don't like to read, I give them Andrew Clements books or Kate DiCamillo books, Because of Winn Dixie is one of my favorites. Other writers are Dan Gutman. He writes sports books. I even have girls that like them.
maggiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Sag is right
Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Oh yes, Bruse Coville's book The Monster's Ring is wonderful. I read it with my students almost every year around Halloween. This year I didn't because one student in my class does not celebrate the holiday, so I almost forgot it. I bet your student would love it. It is a page turner. My second favorite from this author is Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher. Both books have an underlying theme of how important it is to read and follow directions carefully. They both show what happens when you do not follow the instructions. I like to emphasize this to my students.

chitra

Golden Oldies...
Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi,
we have a library program for children in grades 5/6/7. the 5th graders are very reluctant readers. i introduced Enid Blytons to them - by just talking about the various themes in her many books.
Then we read excerpts from The Faraway Tree and The Wishing Chair. It really worked and they are quite hooked now.
I was very apprehensive as children these days seem very hard to please. But the language is simple and Blyton's books cater to all ages and tastes.
Another book that was very popular was Cloud Busting by Malorie Blackman. This was enjoyed by all kids right upto the 10th grade!
chitra is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms_D_Indeed

Graphic Novels?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Although it's hard to find a lexile for them, I've started giving some of my reluctant low readers graphic novels or manga. They're thicker than a comic book so most of my kids feel like they're still reading a "book". It's hard to find ones that are appropriate, but the new Coraline graphic novel was great! I have a waiting list of 10 kids in my class! If you like the idea, let me know and I'll give you my list of good ones for the kids to read. Some teachers don't like the thought of graphic novels since it looks like there isn't that much text, but it's still reading. Plus, it helps lower readers since there are pictures. I had one of my resource students read graphic novels and his testing score went up up up! ^_^
Ms_D_Indeed is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Old 02-09-2009, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My son hated to read, and I worked as a literacy coach for children who struggle with reading and comprehension. These are some books/authors that helped a great deal:

Bone series (graphic novels)
Any book by Andrew Clements, Jerry Spineli, Gary Paulsen
Non-fiction (Titanic, etc)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
Wayside School series
Star Wars series
City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
Matthew Christopher series (sports)

Twilight
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

WildcatBarb85

Reluctant Readers
Old 02-18-2009, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've had many reluctant readers get hooked on The Shadow Children series--Among the Hidden, Among the Brave, etc. Both boys and girls like them. Also, anything by Anthony Horowitz is good--especially for boys. He has some written on a 5-6th grade level and then some newer ones at a lower level. I agree on reading something to the kids and then getting them to look at other books by the same author or the next book if it is a series.
WildcatBarb85 is offline   Reply With Quote

goldie23

A book that hooked!!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Well....it appears that I have finally hooked 2 of my grade 6 reluctant boy readers!!! They have both been jumping from book to book, abandoning text after text due to reported "lack of interest" as everything is "boring". Finally, a book purchased at the book fair by author Anna Claybourne entitled: 100 Most Dangerous Things on the Planet, seems to have peaked their interest!! I now have 5 students on the waiting list to borrow this non-fiction text that basically reviews dangerous things on our planet, and what to do when found confronting one of these difficult situations. Wow.....an uninterested reader, who now cannot put down a book!!! What an amazing thing to witness!!!!

I thought that I would share in the hopes that perhaps this suggestion can assist one of your reluctant readers. Good Luck!!

Risa

Thanks to all of you!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This is a great thread! I'm glad I found it!

Now all I have to do is... track 'em all down and do some non-stop reading... and endure those strange looks. I carry around student chapter books that I want to preview in my free time instead of reading 'grown-up books'.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote