Help

First Grade

Journeys

>

johnskim

Journeys
Old 09-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school district purchased the Journeys Houghton Mifflin Harcourt series this year and I am having trouble getting excited over it. Is anyone else using it? Do you have any ideas you are willing to share?

johnskim is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherfun08

Troubled
Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in the same boat. We started this year and am having issues adjusting to it. It is a lot of skills to cover day by day. We have two hour reading block and it still doesn't seem like enough time. Did you have questions about certain components? I pretty much follow the TE.
teacherfun08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ireg03

Journeys
Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am piloting the program this year. My district currently uses an old Houghton Mifflin program which also had a lot to cover. I was pretty much told to do the items with the red checks because they align with our curriculum and state standards. My writing block is separate from reading, so I've been incorporating the grammar and writing into mini lessons during that time of our day. Do you have specific questions? I have a meeting this week with the reps, so if there's anything specific you want to know I can ask!
Ireg03 is offline   Reply With Quote

johnskim

Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the help. I would like to use the making words on line; however, I cannot find it on the thinkcentral site. Where is it? When I access thinkcentral, the site is so slow. Is this normal for all? I think I am overwhelmed by the amount of material that comes with the Journey Language Arts; therefore, I am having trouble getting started. I will look at the red checks and hopefully get going with unit one. I have had a lot of success with other materials besides Journeys, so I am nervous to spend the amount of time it's going to take to have to learn this new material. So any ideas that you do or lessons, please share. Thanks
johnskim is offline   Reply With Quote