Help

Fifth Grade

Explorers Project

>

CPR

Explorers Project
Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm in my first year of teaching U.S. History. I plan to have each student choose an explorer, do research, then do a project. I'm thinking I'll have them write a journal or log as if they were that explorer, including important events and information. I'd like to give them another couple of options. Any ideas? The research will be mostly done in class, but the projects will be done at home. Thanks.

CPR is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

project ideas
Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you looking for other possible project ideas? If so, here are a couple: create a board game following the life/voyage of their explorer, or make a cause and effect flip book/interactive chart about their explorer or exploration in general. My school also does an Explorer Wax Museum where kids dress up as their characters and give a short speech about their explorer.
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

halfpint722

I just did ours
Old 12-04-2010, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had googled 5th grade explorer project and a great webquest came up that had the kids create a "treasure chest", so I borrowed the idea and modified the rubric a bit. The students had to choose an explorer to research and had to include a Timeline of their life, and a map of their voyages. The map needed to include a key, and cardinal directions. Then students had to choose to place one of the following into the treasure chest: a journal from the explorer's point of view (I had them include 7 entries), 2 artifacts that the explorer would've either found on their voyage or had taken with them (these could be hand-drawn pictures, actually created, or printed pictures from the internet). Along with the artifacts they needed to include a summary of what the object was, if we have anything similar to it now, and there were 2 more summary inclusions but I can't remember what they were, or students could choose to create a navigational tool that would've been used on their journey such as a compass, or astrolab. Again along with the tool they had to write a description of the tool and how it was used. I thought it was more fun than writing a report and those students who are great "writers" had a chance to use their artistic skills to create something else. Plus I had a lot of kids who actually used shoeboxes to create their "treasure chests" and decorated them. It was fun!
halfpint722 is offline   Reply With Quote

nobuhle

my experience
Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have just finished doing an explorer project with my class. They each had an explorer, had to keep a journal, draw a picture of a ship, write a letter back to the queen after the exploration, along with a few other small things. I gave the kids a bunch of kid-friendly websites and we spent about 4 hours in the computer lab. Most of them finished all of the research in the lab. However, compiling the information into the journal (which was supposed to be done at home) took a LONG time. My kids were feeling overwhelmed and I got a few comments (not complaints) from parents. I ended up extending the date for a few days and gave them a couple of hours of class time to work on the final draft.

It was a great project, the kids learned a lot and had fun, but I may have given them too much work to do. If I do it again next year, I will definitely give them time to work on the rough and final drafts of the journal at school and not expect that to be done completely at home.
nobuhle is offline   Reply With Quote

Cubantrini

Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

http://www.mrcoley.com/explorerreport.htm

He has a great explorer report instructions on his website for his students.

Cubantrini is offline   Reply With Quote

Hoartyo

explorers project
Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One year our fifth graders made trading cards (using Excel) - it was a good lesson in summarization (since only a bit of info fits on a trading card). The students had to list the dates of the explorer's voyage(s), what he was searching for, who funded the journey, was he successful, what were his "accidental" discoveries, if any..etc. They printed a picture of the explorer on card stock for one side of the card and printed the information for the other side of the card on card stock, too and the 2 sides were glued together. The kids loved them and the cards made a good study guide for the eventual test.
We also do flip charts with similar information, only the info has to be writtten in complete sentences.
While I like the students to journal as if they are an historical figure, I find one or two entries is sufficient to get the point across.
Hoartyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sonyaabbott

Sonyaabbott

ideas
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My son has a project to create a board game on an explorer. I was trying to find him the most interesting so more to work with to create a board game. Any ideas or clues to help us get started?

Redrider

Explorer project
Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi, could you share?
Redrider is offline   Reply With Quote

starbucksmom1

Please see another post/lapbook
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just attached a lapbook idea (look under Social Studies). The kids are enjoying it.
starbucksmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote