Help

Fifth Grade

First Attempt at a Novel Unit

>

WSU10

First Attempt at a Novel Unit
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to attempt a novel unit after winter break. This is my first year so I want to get something that I'd enjoy working on for a couple of weeks. I also want something that I'll look forward to doing in the future. Another stipulation is I want to have something that will appeal to both the boys and girls in the room. A fellow teacher is working on "Dear Mr. Henshaw" right now and has offered her materials to me if I wanted to use that as a first unit. I'd like to make my life more stressful than it is as a first year and come up with my own unit if I could.

So far I have the following listed as possibilities with "Holes" being the first one I thought of.

"Holes"
"The Westing Game"
"My Side of the Mountain" (My all-time favorite book as a kid, and it's in the textbook.)
"Shilob"
"Julie of the Wolves"
"Island of the Blue Dolphins"
"Stargirl"

Does anyone have a suggestions for a relatively easy introductory novel unit? Something that would be easy to put together and complete in a few short weeks. I would like to possibly have two going at once, different levels, but not sure if that is something I want to undertake right away.

I have a book order due in a few days for students and would like to get my class set in the order.

WSU10 is offline   Reply With Quote

missbrooks

All good choices
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and here are a few more.....

No Talking by Andrew Clement
Frindle by Andrew Clement
missbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

mimi6

Books
Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Because of Winn Dixie is relatively short and the kids love it (if they didn't read it in the previous grade.
mimi6 is offline   Reply With Quote

WSU10

Old 12-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One of the 4th grade teachers read it to them.

I think I might start with "Bridge to Terabithia" for the first one. It's cheap on scholastic so it'll work great for a first attempt. I'm just nervous about getting enough money for the other two that I want to try.

Does anyone have good pointers/websites/ideas for doing the above mentioned book? I will definitely keep the rest in my head for future novel units.

6LASS

Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My advice is always to read the book first before deciding if its a right fit for your class. Bridge is a good one, but there is a death scene that you may or may not want to work through.

6LASS is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Bridge is a good one
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

but does have a death, which might affect some kids. I like Where the Red Fern Grows - I play it on audio book because the narrator does such a good job with the accent and he reads pretty quickly. I have a packet if you're interested - it has basic comprehension, a grammar section, and some higher level thinking skills.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

WSU10

Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The thing is, I'm a first year teacher who has used up my budget getting supplies at the beginning of the year because I was left nothing in terms of supplies. As a first year teacher, my salary does not offer me a lot to spend in terms of class sets. I would do "Where the Red Fern Grows" as I know it is a great book.

I believe my class can handle the death scene and I will be reading it over Christmas.

I would likely use Scholastic book orders for getting the books. If there are any books that are $1 that would work well for 5th grade, I would gladly take suggestions.

Smartmouth

Flying Solo
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last year, Scholastic had Flying Solo by Ralph Fletcher for a dollar a book. My kids love that book and I have questions to go with it if you want them.
Smartmouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Hoartyo

Novel ideas
Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In our fifth grade, we use novels that compliment our other subject areas; for example, when studying Native American cultures, "The Sign of the Beaver is"excellent; in fact, this novel covers early colonization of the U.S. as well and teaches about the effect colonization had on the Native Americans. We are beginning a study of the American Revolution in SS, and in LA we will read "An Eye for An Eye" a wonderful novel with children as the main characters. When we study Lewis and Clark we read "Seaman."
You mentioned "Island of the Blue Dolphins" - this novel covers a lot of science study as well.
I hope this help!
Hoartyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Creek4

Where the Red Fern Grows
Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would be interested in your packet on this book. I just picked up the movie for $5.00 in a bin at Walmart that I could end the unit with a compare and contrast lesson. Thanks!

Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kasper2324

Flying Solo
Old 01-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would love any info you have on a Flying Solo unit
kasper2324 is offline   Reply With Quote