Help

Social Studies

SS centers

>

Hoartyo

SS centers
Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI! I teach 5th grade and have 2 LA/SS blocksthat are each 2.5 hours, and I would love some ideas re: how you use/implement/organize SS centers. In 5th grade we cover North America's geography, history, and similarities and differences withing the continent, etc... Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!

Hoartyo is offline   Reply With Quote

BamaBabe

Check out
Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.socialstudies.org/resources for some ideas. I don't always get to do centers in SS, but I have a few that I use. I bought the states and capitals from Dollar Tree and made a matching game with those. I also have President cards that we use for research. Our series came with leveled readers that I use with read and answer trifold sheets that I created. My students do a lot of writing to respond to different historical situations (If you were an Indian tribe what side would you have chosen to align yourself with in the French and Indian War - French or British). This writing comes after a lot of research and scaffolding instruction, so we do not often get time for my centers.

I would love to have your 2.5 hrs too!
BamaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote