Help

The Job Search

I had an interview today! :)

>

Ms Honey

I had an interview today! :)
Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I emailed out some resumes yesterday and I got a call about an hour later. The AP asked me to come in today at 9am for a 15min language arts demo lesson for the primary grades. From looking back at the postings, this was a TAT position from Aug to Nov. I really didn't want temporary but I am ready to get back to work so I went.

I presented to the P and AP (partial read aloud and direct vocabulary instruction of 5 words). It went really well! Then the P started asking me how this lesson would work for 4th grade! I took this opportunity to show my brochure and my photo brag book of my 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms.

They have a permanent 4th grade position available and I said I would love to teach 4th grade. I was so excited that I forgot to ask how soon they would make a decision. I did ask some other questions about the school. There was another teacher waiting to present a lesson when I left. The teachers come back tomorrow and kids come back on the 8th. It was a really positive experience.

After I left, I went straight to the post office to send off thank you note and a resume to another school. Along with the thank you note, I enclosed a copy of a reading conference rubric and a reading workshop planning sheet because the P asked a lot about how I would assess the different components of reading and how I plan them. The post office clerk said the thank you note would get there tomorrow morning.

Well, do you think I should call them tomorrow afternoon once I know they have received the thank you note? If not, then when?

Ms Honey is offline   Reply With Quote

Stilly

It wouldn't hurt
Old 08-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd call. Sometimes the job goes to the person who 'wants it more'. You need to do whatever it takes to keep you fresh in their mind. Good luck!
Stilly is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwi193

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it sounds like your interview went great...I also think it was really smart to send those rubrics. It definitely shows your interest in the school. Personally, I don't think I would call tomorrow, but that's just me.

On the other hand, I had an interview two weeks ago and the principal actually requested that I call her to let her know if I was definitely interested in the job. So, I did just that and left a voicemail for her shortly after the interview. After the second interview, I decided to call her again to thank her since that seemed to be her preferred method of communication. After leaving a voicemail, I waited a day and sent her a thank you card too. I got the job a week later.

In closing, I think it's good to show you are interested. I think many principals really appreciate that and may take it into account when making their decisions. So, go for it, if you think it will help.

Good luck!!!
kiwi193 is offline   Reply With Quote

shopgirl78

That sounds soooo exciting and wonderful!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congrats!!!

I am not a caller but I'd so send an email : )

My fingers are crossed for you!!
shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra23

congrats!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds great! You got a call an hour after you sent out your resume?! How lucky!

lamaestra23 is offline   Reply With Quote
guest2

guest2

Ms. Honey
Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ms. Honey, have you heard back from them yet? Sounding promising!