Help

Daily 5

this may be a dumb question(s)

>

emgirl

this may be a dumb question(s)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Listen to reading has got me all sorts of confused I have really tried to research it online, ask questions and I swear I get more and more frazzled. I only have 4 ipods. I DO NOT have a computer so the kids can't listen on the computer (which is the suggestions I keep getting over and over). So with only 4 ipods what do I do?
My other question is what if kids don't get their word work or writing done in the allotted time. Then what? I always had certain "have to centers" first they had to complete before they got to go to "free choice centers" so work was usually completed...

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Huskermom

I am sure there are 100 "right" ways but
Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

not everyone in my room gets to listen to reading on a daily basis. As far as word work and work on writing go ~ word work is worked on until the time is up w/ no "required" ending point. They turn in the accountability piece and unless "nothing" is getting done, I am fine. Work on Writing doesn't have to be done in a day ~ it can continue on to other days.
Huskermom is offline   Reply With Quote

LinzRae

Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have 4 mp3 players (and 1 computer), but this simply meant that only 5 kids could do Listen to Reading each round. I kept track on my check in form which choice they were going to, so I could easily see who might be going more than they should!

My word work and writing were always ongoing activities as well. They were never things that had to be completed in one sitting. My writing is always an extension of writer's workshop, or a free writing time. Word work was working on sight words, vocabulary, or Words Their Way activities.
LinzRae is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra23

Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know it's not choice.. but I have a listen to reading schedule and each student has a specific round where they always do listen to reading. I only have 2 computers, so I have 2 students per round listening.
lamaestra23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

if you would like a few more students to be able to listen to reading, you can purchase headphone splitters (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8V234-.../dp/B0000UV2AW). Students who share must read along to the same book, but i have found that students like to share a book.

MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

cortezteacher

I am planning....
Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

on back to school night, I plan to have a "wish list board". One thing I am planning to ask for is any old handheld CD players. The way technology is going, these are in the past, and are probably lying around somewhere. I thought I might have at least 1-2 donated to the class. We will see! Wishful thinking! You can find any books on CD to use for this. I also have a listening center that allows for them to use a CD player and then they hook up to the jack that has space for at least 4-6 listeners I think... Hope these ideas help! Oh one more idea...You could have your students (also you or volunteers) tape themselves reading and then the students can listen to the tape.
cortezteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ljville

Limit
Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just limit the # of students to the # of players you have. (That's what I do.) Also, you can keep track of who has chosen LTR to make sure everyone gets a chance through the week.
ljville is offline   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've heard where students have to do read to self and writing each day. Between these and the group with you, they may only have 1 choice. This way there aren't many kids to listen to reading.

Just one option-- it's up to you!

I have my 4th graders make their choice right before the round so they may work on a choice for 2 rounds (like writing).
kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndteacher2Q

Just heard the Sisters
Old 08-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

talk in Michigan last week. They gave some great insight that is not included in the book. They suggest that you begin the year with the 5 rotations once you get everything introduced and they are still building stamina. Once the stamina is there for around 30 minutes they suggest going to only 3 rounds in upper primary/lower intermediate. They also suggested that you have "must do" and "can do" options with this since you will not have time to do all 5 activities each day. They require Read to Self and Work on Writing each day and then leave the other three as can dos but require that each one be done atleast once each week. They also discussed Word Work for this same age group and said that they set a timer for 10 minutes for this activity and then the student finishes the round with Work on Writing. This should reduce the amount of students you have who would need to do listen to reading each round. I also am limited on iPods and do not have a computer available to my students. I did purchase a Belkin Rockstar splitter to allow a group of students to listen together, but you wouldn't have to do this. Hope this helps. I am going to blog about the conference more if you want to follow along...everyonehastheirownspot .blogspot.com
2ndteacher2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

KKay

I love your blog!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I bookmarked it and will be checking back! Thanks for sharing!

KKay is offline   Reply With Quote