Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

CNN student news?

>

keala50

CNN student news?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use CNN student news in their classrooms? Do you have students do a mini assignment after watching to show what they learned? If so, what does that format look like?

keala50 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

Love it!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it frequently during our enrichment time.

I usually give a preview of the topics to be covered and we share what we already know about them (this take 10-15 minutes), they practice taking notes as they watch the program,(10 minutes) and then I have them write or talk about the daily discussion questions that come with the program. If they are high interest, you can easily turn the 10 minute news snippet into a 45 minute discussion...my 7th graders really enjoy it.
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Honestly...
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've only used it during resource (study hall) for some lively discussions; but I love the idea of having my students take notes and write an informative paragraph on a given topic. We use TELL-CON paragraph structure. I would attach my resources but they are all on my work computer which is at school for updates. PM me and I'll send it when I get my computer back.

TELL-CON

T - topic sentence
E - evidence
L - link your evidence to the topic
E - evidence (another piece of support)
L - link your evidence to the topic or make a connection
L - language (audience and word choice)
CON - Concluding sentence to wrap it up
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've used it as a Language Arts teacher to practice whatever skill we're working on. For example, if our skill is cause and effect, they find an example of cause and effect in one of the stories. If we're doing summary, they write a summary for one of the stories.

I like it because it's
a) nonfiction practice
and
b) listening and watching instead of reading. I consider it almost like a "read-aloud" test, where I can gauge just their knowledge of the skill, instead of how it's tied in with their reading ability.
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

CNN Student News
Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our team uses it as a gateway to global learning. We all show it at the same time each morning in all of our team classes, and talk about a bit of it in each class throughout the day.
On Friday's we have students write a ticket out of class.
They include one thing they learned from CNN, one thing they really liked, and one thing that made them reflect or think about in a deeper way.
The kids love it and it give us a quick look at what they are getting out of the 10 min. news flash

Mindfull is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Katie

Love CNN Student News!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the news and the whole school watches it every morning. My students have a major Carl Azuz obsession.

OP, I don't always do much with it as far as curriculum goes, but I know my kids are more informed than most at their age because of it.

CNN has a PDF Quiz available each Friday morning. You can have the answers sent to you in an email (and so can they). I use it and have the kids take it and then let them use their ipads to look up their wrong answers (for full credit). My rationale is that I don't really care if they knew the information before, but by looking it up they tend to know it later.

The only major curriculum I do is to have them do a partner research project on the CNN Heroes. They research one person and do a class presentation and then we all go online and vote.
Ms. Katie is offline   Reply With Quote

WildcatBarb85

CNN Student News
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I start every SS class wi the news. I teach 6th grade and the kids know that we start every class with the news. I figure it is the only way some students find out about world events. I just love it! we have had some great discussions after watching.
WildcatBarb85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Katie

Agreed!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I completely agree with you. I just remember last year that my 7th and 8th graders were talking to their families about Gaddafi. It was amazing. The year before had 6th and 7th graders glued to the smartboard for ten minutes everyday while we got updates on the Chilean miners.
Ms. Katie is offline   Reply With Quote