The Job Search

Job Outlook in Illinois and Nebraska

>

teaching102

teaching102

Job Outlook in Illinois and Nebraska
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our family has a move in our future and two of the possibilities are in Illinois (just outside of East St. Louis) and Nebraska (near Omaha) and I wanted to see if there are any current teachers or job seekers who might be willing to share the job outlook for those areas. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated! I am a first grade teacher and I would prefer to stick with a primary grade...I also have a Reading cert in my current state (M.Ed., Reading), though I'm not sure of the reciprocity with other states for that.
Thanks!

signedout

signedout

Omaha
Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm signing out because I don't want to give myself away or have too much information associated with my username.

My cousins are from Omaha and I visit them a lot. I was thinking about applying for jobs in that area when I graduated because I wanted to be by them, but my dad ended up taking a new job and I would be really far from him, so I changed my mind.

The Omaha area has a ton of schools! Omaha itself has 3 school districts, 2 huge ones (in my opinion) and 1 smaller one. Plus, there are a ton of private schools in Omaha. Additionally, there are so many towns surrounding Omaha with districts (6 that I can name off the top of my head) plus the private schools in that area. I know the district my cousin's attended always has several openings every year. However, although there are many schools and many districts, I'm not sure about the number of applicants...which could obviously limit your chances.

I'd talk to the Department of Education in both states about getting licenses for them, or at least seeing what it entails. You will have a better chance if are licensed. When I was in my senior year of college and applying for jobs online, the application would ask "Do you hold a valid ______ (state) teaching license?" I had to click "No" because I had not graduated, so obviously didn't have a license (even though I'd be approved for licensure once I graduated). Many of the computer systems "threw me out" right away when I clicked No...therefore, you might have a better chance if you have a license from that state! I was hired in another state though, in a public school district, without a license. I had already contacted that state's department of education before being interviewed to find out the steps and when asked at the interview about licensing, I explained that I had been in contact with the department of education and needed to do x, y, and z and that I knew I would have it before school started. They were impressed that I knew the process. In other words, if you don't have one but know the steps you have to take, that might help, too. However, I think your best bet is to get licensed in those states if you can afford it.

Ms.SB

Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Illinois is not a good market right now. It is highly saturated, and there aren't a lot of positions available.
Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

giapez80

Illinois
Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree about Illinois not being a good market. I've been searching for 2 years, finally had an interview yesterday. I'm in the Chicago area, but I know it is bad all over the state.
giapez80 is offline   Reply With Quote

sand27

Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the previous posts concerning Illinois. I live in a suburb of St. Louis and there is about 200 applications received for every opening. We have a lot of colleges here, which produce an abundance of teachers every year.

sand27 is offline   Reply With Quote

giapez80

Sand27
Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Only 200 applicants per job? I was told by a principal that I was one of 900 applicants for 1 position! That was in a bigger district near me...I also applied to a school near my inlaws, that is literally in the middle of a corn field. I was one of 500 applicants there. And, this is why I've had 2 interviews in 2 years, both times because I or my husband knew someone high up enough to get me to that 1st step.
giapez80 is offline   Reply With Quote

ITEACH02

Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree about Southern Illinois. I used to live there, exactly where you are describing, and it is extremely difficult to get a job unless you are willing to drive a long distance. Most of the highly desired districts weren't willing to interview unless you had worked in their school as an aid or something of the sort. I took a job in St. Louis and had to drive that distance and awful traffic each day.
ITEACH02 is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra23

Illinois
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I live in the Chicagoland area and when I student taught 3 years ago we had principals come in and give us interview advice. They told us that they got thousands of applications for 1 job. The market in Illinois is not very good
lamaestra23 is offline   Reply With Quote

joymt78

Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Agreeing with everyone else....I am in the Chicago area (west suburbs) and I have applied at over 30 districts and just now got a call. But it's only because I knew someone. That's the only way to get in! The principal told me that he had 1000 applications for this position.
joymt78 is offline   Reply With Quote

teaching102

Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for all of the info!

teaching102 is offline   Reply With Quote