Help

Fifth Grade

Trying to tie SS to Reading

>

silpada girl

Trying to tie SS to Reading
Old 07-26-2013, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a variety of American History picture books that would support a reading curricumum in my SS class. I will be teaching only SS this year,where in the past, I taught SS and reading. I plan on doing lit circles in my ss class (just because the kids love them) and using historical fiction novels that align with the common core. Does anyone have any further suggestions how I can incorporate reading strategies in my ss class without taking up too much time so that I can teach ss content? I thought about frontloading by reading as many historical fiction books during the first two weeks, so that I can refer back to them when I want to focus on a particular strategy during our ss reading of texts and magazines.

silpada girl is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

I try to incorporate reading and writing
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

strategies into my social studies instruction. I use a variety of strategies from this book although you probably use many of the strategies. I use a lot of comics from Chester Comix and American History Comic Books to engage students. I also have found many poems and songs to use for shared reading. The students love them and have been known to recite songs and poems during tests. I have used this site to find books.
calla lily is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Biographies
Old 07-27-2013, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A friend who teachers fifth grade has a collection of biographies for each time period. She stores them, but when teaching that time period, places them in a basket and introduces them to students whole group so if they would like, they can use them as an independent read when other work is completed. She also uses shorter ones as read alouds so students have background knowledge of the people in a certain time period...daily life, clothing, education, family life, etc.

Biographies are very valuable when teaching character traits, (and you can also slip in the characteristics of a biography).

I borrowed this biography poem idea from the ETTC website (I think), which has many simple "forms" for poetry. Perhaps this could be a whole group assignment if everyone read a biography, or it could be an extra credit project for those students who find a real interest in this type of reading material.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Biography Poem.doc (21.0 KB, 87 views)
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

saphire

Thanx
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you Conniewi! I love the biography poem!
saphire is offline   Reply With Quote

Hoartyo

SS picture books
Old 08-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been using picture books as I teach both LA and SS. Lynne Cheney has several picture books that align with SS. One I really like is When Washington Crossed the Delaware. She also has a good one about the Constitution.
When we study Native Americans, I like using readers' theater legends and tales.
The Picture History of Great Explorers is another good one.
By far my favorite is Pink and Say, a Civil War tale.
Good luck! I think you'll enjoy incorporating picture books with the fifth graders. My students LOVE it when I read to them!!

Hoartyo is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My fifth graders enjoyed a picture book called Redcoats and Petticoats; I forgot who wrote it. It's about an American woman during the Revolution who sends coded messages about the whereabouts of British troops by how she hangs out her laundry. But you don't find out that's what she's doing until the very end, so it could be good for making predictions.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote