Help

Fourth Grade

Question for those of you who use AR

>

chalkdusty

Question for those of you who use AR
Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have purchased the Accelerated Reader web based program for this year. I have not used this before, but have spent MANY hours labeling my classroom library for AR level, points, lexile, and guided reading levels.

My question to those of you who use this program is.... How many points constitute a REASONABLE goal for your 4th grade students each month?

chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

kimmarie

Ar goals
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you go into ar and look around they have a chart that you use based on the level they place on their star test. I do not remember exactly where it is so you might have to look around the site a bit.
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

campingfamily

Goal setting chart
Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In the AR resources there is a goal setting chart that you can loosely follow. It takes into account their reading level and how much reading they do in a week. I believe the goals are in 6, 9, or 12 week chunks. I have my students pick their goal (with my guidance), then they talk it over with parents, then we decide and write it down in their planner. I do my goals by trimester. I show them how to track their goals on the Tops Report that they print out after each test. If we are 25% way through the trimester, they should be about 25% to their goal. It's the middle section on the report and easy for them to track. My point goals ranged from 10-50 for a trimester! We clap/cheer and student gets a pencil for meeting their goal and we put their name on a poster with the date. For me, it's about meeting/celebrating a goal, not the point value. If a student reaches the goal too quickly, we discuss why (initial goal too low, read a big book worth a lot of points), and we establish a new goal. If a student doesn't meet their goal, we discuss why and adjust for the next trimester. I don't push AR hard. It is what it is. Totally motivates some, does nothing for others. Our 3-5 teachers do a AR party on the last day of the trimester for those who met their goal. For those that don't, they spend the hour reading.
campingfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks so much for the information. It's been very helpful. I really like the idea of a "met your goal party" and read for the hour if you did not. I had planned to tie in some type of reward for meeting goals or gaining a certain number of points and wanted to keep it inexpensive. Thanks for the ideas.
chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

With the results of the STAR test, other reading data, and your own observations, you should be able to set reasonable individualized goals for your students. The whole idea behind AR is that it is NOT a one-size-fits-all approach. It is very easy to individualize. The chart that others recommended is a great guideline, but those numbers are not set in stone. It's really important to be flexible.

roo is offline   Reply With Quote