What I keep telling new teachers/subs that can't get jobs.... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

What I keep telling new teachers/subs that can't get jobs....

>

midwestread

What I keep telling new teachers/subs that can't get jobs....
Old 05-22-2015, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am certainly no expert, I have been teaching for 10 years, and have subbed myself years ago.
I've seen subs complain that it's hard to get into a district, new teachers etc.
Where I live there is a glut of teachers and still a sluggish economy. Until it becomes a "buyers market" it is incredibly competitive. meaning?
A General Ed elementary certification will get you an aide position, not kidding. If I were just graduating collage, I would start looking into getting a long term substitute teaching assignment then getting additional certifications, ELL, Reading/Literacy etc. We just hired a 1st grade teacher and we had 400 applicants, we interviewed 5, then we hired the one that was working on her reading endorsement/reading teacher. She had worked in an intercity school to get experience, been an aide which qualified her to get into a grad program. Sorry for the bad news But I thought I would share.

midwestread is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's why I'm going for a 4-9 license instead of k-3. And will need to get an endorsement... I'm thinking 4-6 generalist or technology. I enjoy taking classes... Don't enjoy the prospect of paying for them!
ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

It depends
Old 05-22-2015, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not all districts are like that. It depends on where you are. I know graduates who could get a job, but they aren't willing to move away from home.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I graduated, I worked as a museum educator for a year and then worked as a teaching assistant for two years. I got hired to teach a first grade LOA this year. I think it was helpful that I stayed in education-related jobs AND I had unique experiences. I'll be unemployed in June again. Hoping I don't have to go back to being a TA or aide after teaching for a year. :-/
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachChicago

Old 05-25-2015, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Very difficult around here as well. Definitely doing some leaves and/or knowing someone will get your foot in the door. I was lucky because I am bilingual and bilingual teachers are hard to find, so I did not have to struggle. However, when I decided I needed something different after my second child was born and was looking, it was hard to get a job even with experience, being bilingual, and having my masters. I was told that for some jobs there were hundreds of applicants.

TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

Come to Oregon!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have more openings than applicants I our rural area!
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sameole

Sameole

Old 05-31-2015, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'd be careful with subbing and being a teacher's aide. I know in the two districts I've worked for they never hire subs. The bad ones get kept for day to day (unless they break some type of rule) and the good ones become longterm subs. Aides sometimes get hired in my current district, but it's few and far between. I graduated with one girl who has been subbing since we were college juniors. She is always disregarded when she gets interviews. They always say to her "A lot of people applied, if we go with another candidate would you like to sub for us?". She says it puts her in a bad spot, because saying no means she's not a team player. Saying yes means she's a sub who knows she's not really a teacher. When I graduated I took a job as a teacher in a daycare. It was min wage and no benefits, but I had the title of "teacher" and could says I was familiar with state regulations. I know many people who hired in my district after working at daycares. I think that may be a better route for people who can't find a job if you're able to live on low pay for a year or so.

TeacherBevy

Old 06-07-2015, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi, where are you located? i'm having the same trouble! I feel as though there are 500+ applications for a single job posting! :'( Teaching is truly such a sad time to get into. But my passion. Just so discouraged, thinking of making the switch to nursing! I'm in California!
TeacherBevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Newbielib

Newbielib

Sped
Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am just finishing adding my sped endorsement. I have my master's and that was actually a disadvantage at first when I got out of grad school in 2010 and applying to daycares. I am apparently too educated to be a good hire, or was then. But as a librarian I needed to get that graduate degree. I went into applied behavior analysis and got additional credentials and that has helped. But it is like that here, hundreds of people for any one opening.