Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Feeling a little sad right now...

>

TeachChicago

Feeling a little sad right now...
Old 06-12-2015, 05:33 PM

I'm feeling a little sad about a previous coworker (she was my admin) and I who became really close. Her and I had a great relationship and got to know each other personally. She ended up getting another job in another district (without giving me any warning). It really hurt me the way she left - she never even told me she was interviewing. I just got an e-mail from my superintendent. All school year she was telling me she was going to try really hard to try to get me a job in her district. A position eventually came up. When I finally interviewed for a position, I realized that I didn't want to leave my current job. I never got an offer for the job after I interviewed, which doesn't bother me because I wasn't what the district was looking for and I decided I didn't think it was a good fit.

It doesn't bother me that I didn't get a job. What bothers me is that she can't even find the time to get together with me. I thought of us as good friends! I have been the one who has reached out to her several times to try to get together and she always falls through with the excuse that she is too busy. She is married, but has no children and no one else to care for. I don't understand why she doesn't have a few hours to dedicate to get together for lunch with me. It just really hurts me because I thought we were close. I guess I just need to move on....Thanks for listening...

TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 06-12-2015, 05:39 PM

I totally get what you mean. Some friendships from certain time periods hold great meaning for me. Some of it can be the time of life or the person or what was going on in my life at the time. It's hard for me when those friendships fade or when I feel like it's more meaningful for me than for them.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 06-12-2015, 06:33 PM

I understand. A coworker and I were friends for almost 20 years. She was my coworker my first year on. We watched each other's kids grow up and helped each other through life's ups and downs. I felt like she was my sister. Then she retired....and we have not seen each other since. We tried to get together a few times but she cancelled at the last minute every single time. I felt very hurt but realized she probably was in a new chapter of life. I am still teaching and she may not want to even think about school or teaching right now. I have decided to appreciate the friendship for the years I had it but to move on and not dwell. The teacher who filled her spot has become a wonderful friend so everything has worked out.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 06-12-2015, 08:45 PM

i have a family member who is too busy to remain in contact with me. It stinks when relations fade but it happens. I have worked on having a wide variety of friends so if things don't work out with one there are always others to count on.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

TeachChicago

Old 06-14-2015, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has gone through something similar. I moved to a new district and had to make friends all over, which has been hard for me, especially because I travel to 4 different schools and am not a classroom teacher. Although I think I made the right choice in regards to my career, it has been a difficult transition. I miss having my close friends. I know it takes time to build relationships and trust, so I will be patient.

TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote