Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Survey: How long is your school closed.

>

jazzer

Survey: How long is your school closed.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:19 AM

With the president announcing the other day the recommendation for the nation to continue to shelter in place through April 30th, I am wondering about how long school is closed in each state. I know that about eight states closed schools up for the rest of the year. I would like to do a survey.

1. State you are in.

2. What is your state or school district’s approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.)

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students?

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long?

5. If your school currently has a return date., do you think you will eventually end up closed for the year?

Thanks.

jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 04-01-2020, 02:27 AM

1. State you are in. Illinois

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.)
Around May 1st.

My district is doing e-learning each day. Students are required to work on school work from 9-2:30 each day. Teachers are on call during those times to answer any questions. I am not sure if they are doing any live lessons online or not. I am an assistant and have been dong five hours of professional development each day up to this point. However, it remains to be seen if we will continue that in the coming weeks, do something else, or do nothing. We should find out that fate today or tomorrow.

Our stay at home order now goes through April 30th The governor of Illinois just extended it from April 7th yesterday.

5. If your school currently has a return date., do you think you will eventually end up closed for the year?
I think there is a strong chance that we wonít return this school year. I say at least a 90 percent chance.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 04-01-2020, 02:29 AM

1. I am in Georgia. Our governor has mandated that all schools are closed through April 24.

2. We’ve been out since March 13. At first my district provided an optional generic packet for each grade level and online choice board for the first two weeks. This week teachers are participating in virtual meetings and planning for more official e-learning, which will begin next week.

3. The state has mandated certain closures, but not a full shelter in place. However, my county has issued a more strict shelter in place for non-essential employees.

4. I don’t see us returning this school year. I feel pretty sure we will be completing e-learning for the remainder of the year.

Last edited by TeacherMeg; 04-01-2020 at 03:45 AM..
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

oreocat

Old 04-01-2020, 02:43 AM

1. State you are in-GA

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.)-Like said above the governor has closed schools until April 24. I am praying we can go back, but I agree we will probably be out the rest of the year.

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students?-Our district had a strong digital learning platform in place. We are on spring break after break I want to do more direct instruction than the already created videos I was doing.

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long?-Our county has a shelter in place.

5. If your school currently has a return date., do you think you will eventually end up closed for the year?-No definitive return date
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 04-01-2020, 03:35 AM

1. Massachusetts

2. May 4th

3. Yes, we have things online and now we will have to teach new material and
not just review work.

4. We have to stay home but could still go to grocery stores and order
Take out.

5. We have a return date but Iím not sure if we will really going back that day.
Many are thinking that we wonít be.

cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 04-01-2020, 03:39 AM

1. Nova Scotia

2. May 1

3. Government has just started rolling out plans for E-learning. I am hearing from my co-workers that they are not finding out details any earlier than the public.

4. Yes. I'm not sure if there is an end date in place.

5. Most likely yes
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

survey
Old 04-01-2020, 03:41 AM

1. State you are in. Ohio

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.) May 1, most likely closed for remainder of the year...

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students? Not really, we make packets with only a part of students using online resources.

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long? Yes, until further notice.

5. If your school currently has a return date., do you think you will eventually end up closed for the year? yes.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 04-01-2020, 03:47 AM

1. Maine

2. We are out until May 1st.

3. We have produced 2 2 week learning packets for our students, we are waiting to see what the plan is for after our April Vacation (we are still honoring that as a week off). We have not done mandatory online work because we are rural and not everyone has internet ( Companies will not install lines down some of the less populated roads unless the residents pay for them!)

4. Yes, Shelter in Place until May 1st

5. I think we will probably close for the year. We have counties that have no cases yet, I think that will change.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

rana712

Old 04-01-2020, 04:10 AM

1. State you are in. NY (Western)

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.) April 15

We have been out since March 16 and have been doing e learning since March 17.

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long?Stay at home until April 15.

Meetings yesterday with admin- seemed as though they knew the April 15 return was a pipe dream. Seemed to think that we probably would not be back until June, if at all.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-01-2020, 04:48 AM

1. State you are in: Virginia.
2. What is your state or school district's return date as of right now? We are out at least the entire year.
3. Are you doing e-learning with your students? Yes, we have been since March 16th. Things are evolving and I'm sure expectations will change along the way.
4. Does your state hae a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long? We hae a stay at home order in place until June 10th.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-01-2020, 04:57 AM

1. Wisconsin

2. Indefinitely, but many schools are saying April 24 which is the end date for
our Safer at Home order.

3. Yes, starting this week.

4. Safer at Home lasts until April 24 (we hope).

5. Yes, I'll be surprised if we go back and I'm betting our Safer at Home order will be extended. The last projection I heard is that the outbreak will peak here around the 2nd or 3rd week in May.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-01-2020, 05:54 AM

1. NM
2. Out the rest of year
3. Doing continuous learning, which should include none learning type things, too. Districts are making plans which will start after spring break.
4. Shelter in place until April 10 and probably later. Have been out of school since 13th.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 04-01-2020, 05:56 AM

1.Texas

2. Governor just announced yesterday that the earliest we can return is May 4th. But our last day of school in my district is May 20th. So I'm assuming we are done for the year, they just don't want to announce it yet.

3. Yes. I help write the 2nd grade Math plans. We do not so super e-learning k-2. We just post things for the kids to do. I have to start teaching new content next week, so I may be doing more videos.

4. We are stay at home in my county. "Gov. Greg Abbott wonít call it a 'stay-at-home' order but tells Texans to stay home through April 30."- WFAA News.

5. Yes. They are being cautious and reevaluating each week. Things seem to change overnight. The Commissioner of Texas is making us take "grades" so it seems we can count these days as learning and attendance.
techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

closings
Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 AM

1. NH
2. May 4 state wide
3. retired, districts doing e-learning
4. stay at home went into place 3/24 essential workers only
2 weeks earlier closed schools, restaurants, churches, large groups, theaters, etc.
5. return date is May 4 All schools have April vacation week end of month. Individual districts can decide to cancel and continue e-learning...would end school year by 1 week.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 04-01-2020, 06:36 AM

1. Texas
2. Reevaluate May 1.
3. Yes. It's a lot of work.
4. Yes through April 30 as of now.
5.I highly doubt we will return. We end may 25? 26? and earliest possible return date is May 4. But I'm sure that will change.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

our schools
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 AM

1. Arizona

2. Our governor announced schools will not reconvene this school year.

3. I'm retired, but keep in contact with some teachers. E-learning is in place, many parents want old
school packets. Two 5th gr. teachers I know hand delivered many packets to students' homes as
well as had the packets available at the school site. One parent missed them before they left to
drive to make deliveries. She was irate and very nasty.
4. see 2
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 04-01-2020, 07:12 AM

1. Tennessee

2. The last date DH's district was given was April 24, but that was before the April 30th recommendation. My superintendent has not given a date, just stated we are closed "indefinitely."

3. DH's district has required teachers to set up google classrooms and/or send home packets of work. They are still expected to grade students work, but have been instructed that grades cannot hurt a student's average, they can only help them improve. My district has implemented district-wide learning opportunities (work packets, online resources, video lessons on a local tv station, etc). Teachers are encouraged, but not required, to do their own thing, too (google classroom, zoom meetings, etc.) None of the work is mandatory, and we are not allowed to grade anything.

4. Our governor issued a "safer at home" order until April 14.

5. Yes, I think we're done for the year.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

MJH

Tennessee
Old 04-01-2020, 07:14 AM

1. Tennessee

2. Last announced date was April 27 but that was before the president announced April 30. Nothing has been said about changing the date yet.

3. No e-learning, we are a large district and many of the families still don't have access to internet or even a tablet or computer just cell phone.

4. Yes, a stay at home order.

5. I don't think we will return. Yesterday a report released by the University of Washington that shows the peak of the virus will be sometime in June. If that is the expected peak then I believe they'll close schools.
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Old 04-01-2020, 07:28 AM

State you are in.
Alabama

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.) August

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students? Elearning begins April 13th because of two weeks were built in days for hurricanes used and one week of spring break.

Yes, April 30th

teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Oregon
Old 04-01-2020, 07:28 AM

1. Oregon

2. Officially April 28 but making plans for not returning

3. Currently review only. We initially fully shut down for ~two weeks, now starting review for ~two weeks, Starting full distance learning 4/13

4. Stay at home order. Indefinitely.

5. We will most likey close for the year. They're telling us to prep for it but haven't announced it.

Last edited by Gromit; 04-01-2020 at 11:13 AM..
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

CMOORE

Survey
Old 04-01-2020, 07:43 AM

1. Kansas

2. Our buildings are closed for the remainder of the school year.

3. We are starting Distance Learning on April 6th. K-8 grade are providing learning activities for review only and no grades will be assigned. We have been told we can not require the students to do any work. 9-12th grade are addressing 4th quarter standards but are only giving pass/fail grades. All GPAs were frozen at the end of 3rd Quarter.

4. Our county implemented a "Stay at Home" order on March 23rd to last until April 23rd. Our Governor issued a State wide "Stay at Home" order on Sunday that lasts until April 30th.

Last edited by CMOORE; 04-01-2020 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: added more information
CMOORE is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Survey
Old 04-01-2020, 08:11 AM

1. State you are in. Kansas

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.)
We are closed for the year.

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students? Not all of our students have Internet access, so we are making up activities that they can do at home. We are emailing the lesson plans and any worksheets they need. Then, we are also doing enrichment activities and zoom meetings for those who do have Internet access.

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long? Yes

We already are.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

ThirdNerd

Michigan
Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 AM

1. State you are in. Michigan
2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? April 30, but waiting for our Governor to address us tomorrow, rumor has it we will be out the rest of the year.

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students? District sent out a survey to parents to see if they have internet and devices. So far, only doing check-ins and sending some resources to parents and completing IEPs virtually (phone calls).

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long? Yes, until April 30th.
We probably will be out for the rest of the year.
ThirdNerd is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

Old 04-01-2020, 09:49 AM

Indiana
Closed until May 1- state order
Elearning on M, W, F
State is shelter in place until April 30. Many people still out and about
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

goodwork

school status
Old 04-01-2020, 11:04 AM

1. State you are in. North Carolina

2. Return Date: Set for May 18, but I suspect that it will be extended

3. Elearning: In our district, grades 2-12 are. K-1 are sending home choice boards, sending weekly message with links to read alouds, exercise, social emotional videos, etc. Weekly contact with every family.

4. Stay at home order: Ye, for the state through April 30

5. If your school currently has a return date., do you think you will eventually end up closed for the year? Yes
goodwork is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 04-01-2020, 11:30 AM

I am in NY and we closed on March 13th. We are closed through the 20th of April but we go on Easter vacation on April 8th, so we are teaching online then. I have to say that we were well prepared to start teaching online. We are staying home by order of the governor but there are still some morons out there who refuse to stay home. I’m pretty sure that Governor Cuomo will extend it past the 20th because the apex in NY is supposed to come around Easter. I can’t imagine he would open the schools that soon after cases peak.

Last edited by anonymouse; 04-01-2020 at 11:52 AM..
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 04-01-2020, 11:37 AM

1. State you are in.
Illinois

2. What is your state or school district’s approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.)
May 1 (as of yesterday, extended from April 8)

Yes, per our State Board of Education

Through April 30 for now. (It was originally March 30, then April 7, and now it's through April 30)

Our Superintendent said in the news it's highly likely we won't be returning this year but hasn't officially called it yet. They're going by what our state is doing / how long the Shelter in Place order lasts
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 PM

1. State you are in. Oregon

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.) As said above, preparing to not return. That said, I heard inside information that the decision has been made, just not announced officially.

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students? We are now. Last day was March 13. At that time, we were told nothing. Then it was going to be a "keep busy" packet that the district put together (that was super lame). Now I'm figuring out how to do "distance learning." This week I'm contacting families and making sure everyone has internet/wifi and a device. I'll start actually putting together lessons next week. Mostly videos and the kids can do them when they can.

We have a stay home order. Although, it's not really being enforced. I live in a touristy area and we still have people coming in from out of state.

5. If your school currently has a return date., do you think you will eventually end up closed for the year? Yep. See above.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 04-01-2020, 12:46 PM

Iím in Vermont. My private school has been doing Virtual Learning since March 17th, and we are continuing for the remainder of the school year.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

Missouri
Old 04-01-2020, 03:03 PM

1. State you are in. Missouri

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.) My district is supposed to go back April 14th, but I don't think we will. St Louis and Kansas City schools are closed until April 24th, I believe. I honestly don't think we'll go back this year.

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students?Nothing required by my district, I'm giving parents suggestions of learning activities, no official assignments.

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long?State has no such order, St Louis is until April 24th.

5. If your school currently has a return date., do you think you will eventually end up closed for the year? I doubt that we will go back this year.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

Aderynbach

Old 04-01-2020, 03:54 PM

State- Colorado

As of today- returning on 5/1

Iím at a private school. We had spring break 3/13-3/17 then started e-learning last week. Elementary is doing a mix of standards based choice boards, small group zoom meetings, videos and internet resources. We have to have two contacts (preferably not email only) with families a week.

We have a stay at home order until 4/30.

Iím hopeful to return, even just for a week or two, but not really expecting to.
Aderynbach is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 04-01-2020, 04:03 PM

CA

The governor announced today that students will not be returning to campuses this year. I assume he meant school year.

Stay at home is in place until at least the first Monday in May.

Many of the districts around here have been on SB and will be ramping up their distance learning.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-01-2020, 04:10 PM

1. State you are in.
Kentucky

At this time DHís district and my district are both out until April 20.

Yes. We started on March 16. We got ready in 48 hours. It was a whirlwind.

We are supposed to stay home except for work, supplies, or caring for someone. Itís until further notice.

I feel that we will be extended until the end of April, then cancelled completely. My district is scheduled to end on May 14 anyway. We took spring break (this week) Aís instructional days to end the school year a week early. DHís district is still taking their spring break next week, so their school year doesnít end until like May 22.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

linderdm

Old 04-01-2020, 05:24 PM

1. State you are in: NE

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? April 30

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students? Yes

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long? No

YES
linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-01-2020, 06:17 PM

I am in FL. Our governor FINALLY issued a shelter in place order effective at 11 PM tonight. Our schools are closed until May 1, but I have my doubts about reopening. There is virtual learning taking place in K-12. I teach in the state PK program so no virtual learning for us, though we are reading stories to the kids and sending the videos to the families.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

patch41

Survey
Old 04-01-2020, 06:42 PM

1. State you are in. PA

2. What is your state or school districtís approximate return date as of right now? Is your state or district already closed for the year? (I feel this will most likely change for most.). First we were out until March 30, then it was April 6, and now it's "indefinitely".

3. Are you doing e-learning with your students? Yes. We started yesterday after a week of Spring Break and a week of preparation.

4. Does your state have a shelter in place or stay at home order? For how long?Stay at home. I'm pretty sure it's for the month.

5. If your school currently has a return date., do you think you will eventually end up closed for the year? I was hoping that we'd get back at some point, but now I'm thinking we will close.
patch41 is offline   Reply With Quote