Bridges Number Corner and departmentalization--anyone? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Bridges Number Corner and departmentalization--anyone?

>

trexteach

Bridges Number Corner and departmentalization--anyone?
Old 07-27-2020, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 5th and am departmentalizing with one other teacher this year. I will be teaching math to both of our classes. We just starting the Bridges math program this year, and I'm not quite sure the best way to go about teaching Number Corner when I have more than one class.

The Number Corner interactive bulletin board is supposed to be on display and added to each day. How do I handle that when I will be teaching more than one math class? I thought about making two separate Number Corner bulletin boards and just covering one up when the other class is with me, but...enter Covid and our 50/50 class split. This means I will actually teaching 4 different math classes. 2 on one day, the other 2 on the next. There is the option of teaching Number Corner digitally, but I would like to hear from anyone else who may be teaching Bridges in a departmentalized situation and what procedure works best for you.

trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Bridges
Old 07-27-2020, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have no answer because I taught second grade. I HATED Bridges.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Keltikmom
Old 07-27-2020, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have certainly been hearing the good, the bad, and the ugly about it. I am not happy about it, but . The teacher’s manuals aren’t very user-friendly. Very wordy, no color, few images, no headings, no bold print, nothing. I wasn’t even supposed to be teaching math this year, so between that and having to learn a new math program, I’m not feeling the love.

Keltikmom

Bridges
Old 07-27-2020, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nothing about it is user friendly. I would get a headache just trying to read the cramped, small font of the manual.

This one comment from our corporate presenter from Bridges made me lose complete faith in their program: ďyeah, the second grade program is a hot mess. No one really figured out what to do with it.Ē
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh, Iím so sorry you have to teach Bridges and Number Corner! They suck!

I think I would do as much as I could on chart paper and hang the paper from rings on curtain rods. That way you could have a chart paper per activity per class. Does that make sense?

Honestly, though, I didnít teach much of the Number Corner for third because it was a lot of me talking and doing and not enough of them doing.

And now my school uses Engage NY and I only have to give the Bridges assessments.

T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Bridges
Old 07-28-2020, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district loves Bridges. We had very good staff development, and the intervention staff was even trained in AVMR (Advantage Math Recovery) which compliments the Bridges curriculum and intervention binders. We use AVMR for pretesting math intervention candidates, and AVMR and the Bridges intervention binders for math intervention in K-6.

I would suggest you make one number corner. Before a new class enters your room, remove whatever the class before them has done from the number corner charts. Then repeat the number corner for the new class.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Contacted a rep
Old 07-28-2020, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

ConnieWI
Quote:
I would suggest you make one number corner.
I emailed the rep who trained us via Zoom, and she suggested just keeping it to one NC bulletin board, too. If I'm understanding her correctly, it sounded like she said I could just review what a group missed when they were remote and move on to the next NC activity. I think that should work since the lessons seem to mostly repeat the skills. I still have a lot to learn about this program!

T.A.R.D.I.S.
Quote:
hang the paper from rings on curtain rods
I think that's a good idea. I could get a small rod and hang it from large 3M hooks.

Keltikmom
Quote:
I would get a headache just trying to read the cramped, small font of the manual.
No kidding! There's no way I'm going to get away with not wearing my glasses with these manuals

Thank you for the responses.

Sbkangas5

Old 07-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have to say that I love Bridges, and I have never loved a packaged curriculum. Yes, it's hard to get a handle on it at first and it takes a ton of prep work the first year, but it's so good.

That said, I'm planning to have one number corner up, but since we can't share manipulatives, etc. I'm going to also project it digitally and use that with each group. I'm also making a number corner binder so the kids can do some of the activities at their desk as we do it whole group. I'm hoping this helps with engagement as usually I would choose various kids to come help with all of the activities.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Sbkangas5
Old 07-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like the idea of a packet to do at their desks along with the lesson, but do you think this something 5th graders could also do in a spiral notebook?

vttraveler

Old 07-29-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Iíve used Bridges for 13 years. I did many of the Number Corner Activities when teaching with the 1st edition, but I found many of the activities in the 2nd Edition were already part of the unit lessons. So now I do the calendar and pull a very few activities from each month that are unique. I found that doing the lessons from the unit took the full class time for the most part, so I really didnít have much time for NC.

vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

vttraveler
Old 07-29-2020, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the input. I am hoping with the extra 20 minutes of math our district built in for us that I will have time to get to the Number Corner. I can't wait to be familiar enough with the program to find some places where I can change up the lessons as needed.