Have They Still Been Having Jury Duty the Last 4.5 Monoths? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Have They Still Been Having Jury Duty the Last 4.5 Monoths?

>

MAsped

Have They Still Been Having Jury Duty the Last 4.5 Monoths?
Old 08-09-2020, 07:26 AM

My fiance' got a JD summons back in June, but postponed it for 90 days, which will make it Sept.

Anyone know if they're even doing it these days? I hope not. They can't possibly still have everyone wait in that big holding room sitting close together until they tell the different groups of people what to do next.

Are they putting people in groups right away when they report and allow them to wait in their cars or something and just have them keep checking every 30-60 minutes or what?

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Courtrooms
Old 08-09-2020, 07:48 AM

In many states are back to normal. I do not know if this includes jury duty or not.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

potter403

Cancelled
Old 08-09-2020, 07:56 AM

My ds had a jury duty summons for May. Courts were closed and he was given credit for serving.

I just googled jury duty in my state and the county site said jury trials are suspended thru Sept 14.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-09-2020, 08:07 AM

Jury trials were suspended for a while here but resumed in early June. I'm not sure how many prospective jurors they are bringing in at a time but they are following social distancing and masking procedures and they are limiting the number of people that can come into the courtroom.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-09-2020, 09:04 AM

Jury duty has resumed in la county and San Bernardino county. Donít know about the others. You call in each day to find out if you need to go in the next day. If you are called in report times are staggered.

For people who donít want to get called postpone to a holiday week. Preferably thanksgiving week or the week between Christmas and New Years. Your chance of getting called at those times is much lower.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 08-09-2020, 10:44 AM

My coworkerís wife is a judge. They moved things around in her courtroom so people would be distanced and have been doing trials. So, yep, jury duty is on in my county.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-09-2020, 11:03 AM

Iím in Florida. As of now, jury trials are postponed until after August 31st. All other trials/hearings are being conducted via video conference. I have a feeling this will continue indefinitely.
(This information was easy to find in a few seconds through Google)

However, in Florida all schools are required to re-open for five days a week for in person classes. In person class starts in my county on August 21st.
The governorís mansion is also still closed for visitors Tax collector/driver license offices are appointment only.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 08-09-2020, 12:36 PM

I think it really depends on what the conditions are like in your county. I got summons in March and postponed until July - when we all thought this would be over. But because of the spike in covid cases in our area, many trials are still being postponed. I was supposed to serve during the third week of July, and I watched the website for who was being told to report. I think one group who were called to do a federal jury had to come in one week, but none of the county juries had to report in July. Check your county's website, mine had info for how they were implementing social distancing precautions.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote