Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do I need a landline?

>

amiga13

Do I need a landline?
Old 08-10-2020, 01:16 PM

In my moments of not having enough to worry about, I began to wonder what would happen if I lost my phone or it became disabled. I live alone.

A landline is included with my cable bundle, I just havenít used it in the 2 years Iíve lived here.

Do you think I should buy a phone (theyíre not expensive) and then start stressing about how to connect it?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-10-2020, 01:20 PM

So you're paying for a phone and don't have one? I personally never plan to have a landline again. That being said, I think you are supposed to be able to plug in a phone and call 911 in an emergency. I have a phone somewhere. Wonder how helpful that would be?

Can you reduce your payment by taking the phone off your bundle? Most companies have that option, I think.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-10-2020, 01:20 PM

I think it is a good idea for emergency purposes. It will give your location to 911 which I don't think a cell phone can. If you're already paying for it, why not buy a cheap phone just in case.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 08-10-2020, 01:21 PM

I'd get the landline. Get the phone that stays in one place ( not handsets). I'm sure someone can help you connect it, or call the cable company for instructions.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-10-2020, 01:24 PM

I haven’t had a landline since 2004... I have never had a need for one. I live where hurricanes are prevalent and have been without power but never had an issue with using my cell phone. I have a power pack to charge it, if needed.
I also live alone.

However, your cable bundle may be more expensive without the phone on it. I haven’t had cable in about 10 years either, just WiFi and stream everything.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 08-10-2020, 01:26 PM

I just cancelled our landline. It was a bundle with internet, and the internet was always horrible. Because both of us need to Zoom with our classes, we needed better internet. We switched to wireless internet last week - thankfully we had a direct line of sight to a tower! We signed up for high speed internet, and it's working great! We never used the landline anyway. (I probably should check the voicemail on it before it's gone for good.) Dropping the bundle and switching is saving us money and getting much better service. Win win.
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-10-2020, 01:30 PM

I still have a landline. It doesn't cost me any more than if I didn't have one. I keep it for two reasons: 1) Yes, it can be tracked in an emergency. Also, it's easier and quicker for my grandson to use than a cell phone, should I be incapacitated although soon that won't be an issue. 2) I can use that phone number whenever I'm required to give one when purchasing something, signing up for something or donating to something. That way all the nuisance calls go to my landline which is set to go straight to voicemail.

Here's what I don't appreciate: it does not work if the power goes out. I think that's the stupidest thing in the world but that's what it is if your landline is connected to your cable and interenet provider.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

If it is already included
Old 08-10-2020, 01:34 PM

in your bundle I would have one just for emergencies and your peace of mind.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

I got Alexa
Old 08-10-2020, 01:38 PM

I got concerned about my mother falling and not being able to get help, so I put some Alexas in every room of her apartment. If she gets hurt all she has to do is say, ďAlexa cal....Ē Since it is linked to my phone it can call anyone on my contact list. I can also program her Alexas to remind her of things, like taking her medicine. I liked them so well that I put some in all of the rooms in my house as well since I also live alone. It does so many things. It can play music, call my momís Alexas so I can talk to her like a speaker phone, itís a timer, alarm clock, and so many other things. I can even tell it to find my phone and it will call my phone so I can locate it. I realize many people say it can be used to spy on you, but my life is rather boring so the good things out weigh the bad. One of the things I like is that when my mom doesnít hang her phone up correctly I can use the Alexa to tell her to call me.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 08-10-2020, 01:39 PM

I would not be without a landline. We live out and the cell service can be iffy. Our security system is connected. We also have a wired phone. They work when power is out and bad people canít intercept the signal if you are doing banking. My DH sometimes has to make huge money transfers for work. To the tune of 500,000.

Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 08-10-2020, 01:43 PM

Your landline is probably bundled with your internet. If you get landline phones then the robo and politician calls will start. Our landline phone is also bundled with our internet but we threw our phones out for this very reason. You might want to wait until after the upcoming elections.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-10-2020, 01:54 PM

Our landline is bundled and we use it a lot. I donít think hooking up a phone is difficult. I believe you just plug it in!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-10-2020, 01:55 PM

I do think it depends on your situation and cost. For us, the phone only runs about $5/mo. I do use it to talk with my parents because my dad can hear me better on it. I also use it as my phone number for everything except things I actually want to call me. Most of my telemarketing calls are on my landline....

A couple of years ago something happened with a transformer (if that is the right term) and all our cells were down for a couple days. It is nice to have the phone then! We also live in an area where wild fires can occur, and the Emergency Services have been overwhelmed in times when many people are on cell phones (our area at least). There have been times when you couldn't get through on a cell phone due to that- and having alandline would be helpful.

Cost here doesn't outweigh the price in an emergency so I will be keeping ours.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-10-2020, 01:56 PM

My parents have a landline (my mom insists on keeping it) and itís nothing but trouble. Itís constantly going out and never works. I think that if you donít have it now itís probably fine, but if it makes you feel better to get one, go for it.

I will point out that if you connect it to the internet and thereís an emergency, chances are if the internet is out, the phone will be out too. If you have an emergency, for example you fall, you cell phone will probably be closer. I mean, I take that sucker to the bathroom with me.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-10-2020, 01:58 PM

If you already have the line, just get a cheap, no battery/outlet needed phone and keep it in a closet until/unless you need it. That's what we have always done. Connecting it is no more difficult than plugging the cord into the wall (I assume a maintenance guy from the condo could show you where your plug is if you don't know.)
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Are you talking about a real analog landline,
Old 08-10-2020, 02:00 PM

the old-fashioned kind? Or a digital phone that comes with your Internet service. If you are talking about the latter, it would be useless during a power outage or Internet disruption, because it is digital.

Getting a bonafide landline is expensive. I know because I accidentally let mine go 20 years ago b/c the phone was in my ex's name when we got a divorce. I tried to get it back, but it was ridiculously high even then.

I would be totally astonished if that service was even available. I am referring to the old style lines, which are analog versus digital, and do not require electricity. Call the phone company and make sure you describe that distinction.
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 08-10-2020, 02:13 PM

I tried to cancel our landline, and it would cost me $40 more per month (because of the bundle). I have the ringers turned off. I check messages every couple of weeks. I do like to talk on the home phone more than a cell phone, so I usually call my parents on the home phone.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM

Since you already have the line, I would get a cheap phone to have plugged in for emergencies. We used to have a line just for emergencies before DD got her phone. We didn't give anyone the number and turned off the ringer.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-10-2020, 02:19 PM

Thank you all so much! I just ordered a $15 phone without answering device so no messages from spam. Turning the ringer off is a great suggestion (the very infrequent call to the number already pops up on my tv so I know it works). Really, thanks!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Landline
Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM

I will agree with pp in that most landlines around here are actually connected through the internet. We have that at my school and the network goes out all the time.

I would also check to make sure your home still has a phone line connected.

A couple years ago a tree fell during a storm and knocked the phone wire down. I have not had a landline since 2005 so my landlord did not pay to hook it back up.

Also, you are young and vibrant, but if you are worried about falling and not being able to call for help (happened recently to my uncle) Life Alert is still on the market and will automatically alert designated friends and family when it senses you are falling.

My mom has one that looks like a bracelet (kind of like a fitbit).
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-10-2020, 03:01 PM

There are various reasons for some people to have a landline depending on your service. I will add two more that I did not see in the above posts. Seniors in their later years can have very helpful landline phones with differentiated features for hearing and vision. These features are not available on cell phones. The other advantage that I appreciate is that I give my landline number to all the many companies that want my number. I never give out my cell number. The answering machine picks up all junk calls and if it is someone I know the name appears on the phone. Everyone I know though has my cell number . I like the convenience of that.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Landline
Old 08-10-2020, 03:18 PM

We kept ours. One downside is since itís part of internet bundle, if internet goes out, it goes out. I think......

But one thing I do like about it is when I HAVE to include a phone number for something that I donít want to receive a million texts about...I use my landline number.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 08-10-2020, 03:39 PM

I agree. I still give out my landline phone number, and guard my cell phone number. It's only recently I've started getting outside calls on my cell and I've blocked them all. The only calls that come through on my cell phone are from people I have in my contact list. That way any unwanted calls go to my landline and I can screen them as I wish, when I wish. No constant interruptions.

I also find it easier to hear on my landline and usually use it for long calls when I'm home.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 08-10-2020, 03:44 PM

Yes I would definitely get a phone for your landline.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-10-2020, 03:50 PM

Good idea for emergencies. What if you had an extended power outage and couldn't charge your cell? Just for your peace of mind, I think it's worth it.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-10-2020, 04:12 PM

I've never NOT had a landline and I've had a cell since the 90s when I was an undergrad in college. I don't remember if it was freshman or sophomore, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

absolutely
Old 08-10-2020, 05:36 PM

I have had my 3 landline cordless phones for ions . Back when my mom was living with me that is all she could use . She can't hear the cell phone. . It also is cheaper to call overseas to Europe with my landline than my cell phone. Yes we have had our wifi AT & T out for hours at a time but at least the home phone works. It's a great back up.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Phone
Old 08-10-2020, 07:36 PM

I insisted on having one when my daughter was a baby and had a medical condition-- I had to call 911 three times. I had my cell phone during those events, but I had so much anxiety about her condition I started panicking about not having a phone if I needed it. That was about 7 years ago, and we still have the phone though my daughter no longer has the condition.

We have a babysitter during the school year on occasion and I just like the idea of having another phone just in case.

I think it is bundled in our TV package.
WestCoastTch is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

speaking of. . .
Old 08-10-2020, 09:19 PM

My cell service has been on " No Service" since 6:00pm . That means no one in my house has service. I would feel worried if something happened to my mom in assisted living and no one could get a hold of me so I'm glad I have a land line.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Still have landline
Old 08-11-2020, 03:42 AM

We still have our landline service. It is the old fashioned landline before the phones became available through internet. We were close to turning it off because many of the calls are spam, but then we started getting those same calls on our cell phones so we've kept it. We turned off the long distance calling since we have cell phones, so the phone bill is the cheapest it's ever been. I just have a fear about turning it off. If our power goes out for days, our cell phones will run down. The landline phone will not. I do need to order a cheap phone that doesn't need charged though because the only working phone isn't the cordless one. I'm not sure if my father knows how to use my mom's cell phone, and if he does it he could find the contact list, so I tend to bring the cordless phone to bed with me at night in case he has to call. He's the same reason I turned the house phone back on after we decided to have it disconnected years ago. I also remember cell towers couldn't handle the volume when 9-11 happened, so I want to keep the house phone. My husband does comment a lot that we could disconnect that phone and save $35 a month but he keeps paying it. My sister still has her home phone number but she has an internet service. When the power goes out or the internet goes down that phone doesn't work. She lost the phone a few months ago and as far as I know still hasn't found it. Anyway, I plan to keep the home phone for a while at least. It makes me feel old to say that but I understand now why older people hold onto old technology.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 08-11-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
My cell service has been on " No Service" since 6:00pm . That means no one in my house has service.
What company do you have? I have never heard of this.
MalloryJames is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Landline
Old 08-11-2020, 05:49 AM

Weíve always had one. Very dependable when my cell is sometimes sketchy. My kids call it my dinosaur phone!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 08-11-2020, 06:48 AM

We still have ours.

In 2007, when there was a disaster in our city (a major bridge, over 35W, crashed into the Mississippi) cell phones were useless, due to the amount of calls being made. We do not want to be in that position again.

We rarely use it; but it is there if we ever need it.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Cable phone
Old 08-11-2020, 07:37 AM

If your cable company is providing it is it dependent on the cable system being up and running for it to work? I have a cable phone because it is part of my system's triple play of internet, phone and TV. To get the cheapest prices, I need all three. You can transfer your home phone number to it, or have a different number. I have a different number. I never use that phone and couldn't tell you what it is. The drawback is if the electricity and/and or cable goes out, the phone is useless. It is plugged into your router.

Up to a few years ago, I had a true landline. I gave it up for a small box also from my phone company that is plugged into my phone. My answering machine works with it. It was cheaper than the landline, and kept my landline number. The drawback is one in awhile it goes out and I have to reboot it. It also doesn't work when the electricity goes out. However, during this last bout with Isiasis, when the power came on but the cable didn't, that phone worked fine. I also had to get a new box when the cable went to 4G. If I had it to do over again, I would have kept my regular landline, despite the cost. Like you, I wanted an alternative if my cell phone isn't working. With this last hurricane, even the 4G did not work on my cell at home because a Verizon transformer by their cell tower was affected.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

landline
Old 08-11-2020, 02:21 PM

We have kept ours since 1978. So partly it's sentimental. It costs very little because it is part of our bundle. Also, I like talking on it and the speaker phone part much better than any cell phone.
BTW, super easy to plug in. Just find the phone jack (unless you need one of those)
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 08-11-2020, 02:50 PM

Maybe 6-8 years ago, I found a bundle that was cheaper with a landline. I just plugged it into the wall and it was easy. I gave the number to a few people and when I got a message, I was excited....at first. It was all junk, all the time. I ended up keeping it, but turning off the ringer.

In our house now, we have one with the ringer off. We check the voicemails very occasionally. For some reason, my in-laws will call on it and then call our cells wondering if something is wrong.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 PM

I have a landline and never really use my cellphone. My landline is easier to talk on and works when the power goes out. I recommend the landline. Very few people have my cellphone.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote