Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Unrealistic expectations.......

>

Ruby07

Unrealistic expectations.......
Old 08-11-2020, 08:15 AM

My daughter's college is "requiring" students to self-quarantine one week before arriving on campus.

They go on to define self-quarantine:
~ student must stay in separate quarters and use a separate bathroom facility from the rest of the family
~ student must not be in public
~ food must be delivered to the student's quarters
~ garbage must be bagged and left outside by the door of the student's quarters
~ masks must be worn when family members interact with student

Seriously? We live in an area of New York State that has had less than .01 percent of the population testing positive. I'm not locking my daughter in her room for a week! That would be a disaster for her mental health.

FWIW, the county where she goes to college has similar Covid numbers to our area: incredibly low. But they have a large population of students coming from the Long Island/New York City area.

Have any of your college students been giving similar directives?

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Donít understand
Old 08-11-2020, 08:21 AM

How can these requirements be monitored?
Also how is the college handling thing once the students arrive on campus?
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

hoppalong

College Expectations
Old 08-11-2020, 08:24 AM

My DS's university is only requiring international students to quarantine for 14 days. All other students are being asked to take their health and safety seriously and make responsible decisions before arriving on campus.

My DS wouldn't be able to meet the requirements set forth by your daughter's college. We only have one bathroom in our house.
hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 08-11-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
How can these requirements be monitored?
Right? They can't be monitored, and we won't be complying (and honestly, usually we are such RULE FOLLOWERS!!).

Quote:
Also how is the college handling thing once the students arrive on campus?
They are scheduling arrival dates/times, and taking temps of everyone in your car when you arrive, as well as asking questions ("Are you feeling ill today?" "Have you been exposed to Covid-19?" etc.)

Quote:
My DS wouldn't be able to meet the requirements set forth by your daughter's college. We only have one bathroom in our house.
Same here!

Jackie

Old 08-11-2020, 08:36 AM

They sound like they are just trying their best to keep their students safe. I would make sure she quarantines at home and doesn't go out and party that week before leaving. I wouldn't have her quarantine from you as long as you are not out partying lol.

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

requirements
Old 08-11-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
We only have one bathroom in our house.
Who are the people who decided on those rules? Apparently they only expect middle class students to attend, i.e., those who have spacious homes with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. I wonder how the kids from my old district would do where several families share a 2 bedroom house or apartment or live in a single-wide trailer. These kids go to college on full ride scholarships and would not be able to follow any of those requirements.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-11-2020, 08:47 AM

I wish them luck with that!

There's no way I would be quarantining my child for a week in our home. We basically are quarantined anyway. Don't go many places and are always masked when we do. I'll be flipped if I'm wearing a mask in my house and delivering food to my child!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-11-2020, 08:47 AM

I think they are trying to cover themselves legally. They have no way to monitor or enforce this, and they know it.

I guess do what you can, to the best of your ability. Most people don't have a home set up that allows them to follow these guidelines 100%. The main thing is not to socialize for 2 weeks prior, or be around people who have.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-11-2020, 09:04 AM

I like the college's logic, but who knows who's going to actually do that. Or they may do one or two things on the list, but not the others.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-11-2020, 11:50 AM

Um. Nope. Do they really think that is going to happen?

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-11-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
They sound like they are just trying their best to keep their students safe. I would make sure she quarantines at home and doesn't go out and party that week before leaving. I wouldn't have her quarantine from you as long as you are not out partying lol.
This was the way I interpreted it as well and exactly what I would do. Just because your area has extremely low positivity rates doesnít mean itís the same for every student coming on campus.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Oh my gosh!
Old 08-11-2020, 02:42 PM

My first thought was that there is no way they can enforce that.

My second thought was way to effect their social-emotional health. Like seriously? Before kids move away from home, away from family, you are going to isolate them even longer from people they love?

I haven't heard of this at schools near us, but I know some schools near us are COVID testing every kid who lives in the dorm once every two weeks. Whole dorms have been set aside as the COVID dorms. Any student testing to positive, either through these every two week tests or otherwise, must quarantine in the COVID dorm. Now, I get this. I understand COVID is contagious and the close quarters of a dorm make it extra contagious. But, there is NO WAY I'd want to be tested every 2 weeks. Plus, I feel like this could really alter the data of positive test rates. If all students living in the dorms at these particular colleges (which are large state schools) are tested, that increases the number of people tested. If many come out negative, it could lower the positivity rate.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 08-11-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I would make sure she quarantines at home and doesn't go out and party that week before leaving. I wouldn't have her quarantine from you as long as you are not out partying lol.
Even though our area is in Phase 4 of the reopening and has low numbers, we still pretty much act as if we're in Phase 2. We go grocery shopping every other week, she has 1 friend who she socializes with, and her whole family is working from home. No partying going on at all! lol

Quote:
Just because your area has extremely low positivity rates doesnít mean itís the same for every student coming on campus.
Exactly! Other colleges (like Syracuse University) have had students from hot spots quarantine on campus for 14 days. That makes more sense to me.

maxwell

Wow!
Old 08-11-2020, 04:16 PM

We could do this at our house, but why? I think quarantine as a family would be good enough. My son has to go on campus this semester to take comps for his Masters. I'm worried enough about that.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-11-2020, 06:46 PM

It's so interesting how different every college is. My nephew has to quarantine for 14 days at school. They can only go out to eat. I'm sure he'll be eating 8 meals a day. But poor kids - go to a new place away from friends and family and stay in your room alone for 2 weeks? I understand the reasoning, but wow. Then my friend's daughter's school is not allowing freshman to come until January. All other students can start in the fall. We haven't heard anything from my dd's school.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote