Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Trader Joe’s experience

>

luvmycat

Trader Joe’s experience
Old 08-11-2020, 10:58 AM

I have been going out shopping every other Tuesday. I go to TJs mostly, but have also gone to Costco. My county has had consistently high cases, 100-250 a day. My particular community and neighboring cities are reporting higher cases than the other direction.

Today I decided to go to a store in the opposite direction of the hotspots. I live 20-25 mins from 4 choices.

I went during senior hour and I was shocked at how different it felt at this other store. It was crowded, people came right up on me. Half of the people did not appear to be seniors. There was no hand sanitizer at the check stand, not even for the checker. I always like to sanitize my hands before taking out my card.

I will definitely keep to my ‘hotspot’ location. I feel safe going in first thing, carts are sanitized, hand sanitizer on the way in, people respectfully social distancing even while masked, the younger crowd forms a line and waits until senior hour is over, the plexiglas is larger between staff and customers, and hand sanitizer at the register.

I was just so surprised. I have only been in 2 different stores since this all began. I’m beginning to feel a bit twitchy around others. DH won’t even go in a store. (Not that he did much shopping precovid &#128518

luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-11-2020, 11:05 AM

I’m sorry you had a bad experience. I just went to my local Trader Joe’s for the first time since March. They did a fantastic job limiting the people in the store. I hate being in stores that don’t do a good job keeping everyone safe. It is very unsettling.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-11-2020, 11:09 AM

Hmm, well, I hope the minute you stepped into the other store and saw that it wasn't good, that you walked back out and just shopped back at your usual places. It would have been worth doing that.

I went grocery shopping this morning wearing my face shield along with mask...Stater Bros. this time at 7:20am. I like to be there the last 15 min of the senior hr on Mon-Thurs in which I'm never turned away (but have health conditions).

Only a handful of people were in the entire store, just like I like it.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

4leaves

I would let them know
Old 08-11-2020, 11:11 AM

I have been to TJ’s 5 or 6 times since this all began and they took everything seriously. My usual grocery store is a joke - they set up procedures but people just choose to ignore them without any kind of consequence or reminder. I think that particular Trader Joe’s needs to hear from you.
4leaves is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Trader Joe’s senior hour
Old 08-11-2020, 11:56 AM

There is literally no one there. Last time we went, there were maybe 8 people. They do not allow younger people in until we are done. Very safe.

juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 08-11-2020, 12:49 PM

I live in a hot spot. My parents live in an area where there are not a lot of cases - though they are geographically located between hot spots. It's amazing to me the difference between my area and theirs. I definitely feel safer here despite higher cases.

I would think people in areas that aren't as affected would be highly motivated to keep it out, but that doesn't seem to be the way it works.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Trader Joe's
Old 08-11-2020, 02:06 PM

It feels very safe at TJ in my area which has high cases. They have a worker outside sanitizing the carts and limit the number of people allowed inside. Everyone wears a mask. Large plexiglass separates the cashiers from the customers.

I'm sorry your experience was so different. I would certainly talk to the manager of that store.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote