Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

4th to 1st

>

leopards30

4th to 1st
Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This upcoming school year I am moving from 4th grade to 1st grade ELA. If anyone has any advice or information for setting up a new classroom, etc. it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

leopards30 is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 07-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach Kindergarten, not 1st, but I think that your room would be set up similar to your 4th grade room. With your guided reading table/space of some sort, student tables, or desks in groups, station areas, etc...Really the big changes will be curriculum and age level needs. Take plenty of time to teach your routines and expectations at the start of the year. Be prepared for less independence, more bathroom breaks, and lots of hugs.
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

leopards30

Old 07-23-2018, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much!!
leopards30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Room Setup
Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught first, I really spent a LOT of time thinking about the set up of my room. Do not put everything out before school starts as it can be overwhelming. Think about how you want to students to use items and be purposeful about where you put them. I have a shelf with all of my art stuff (markers, crayons, scissors, glue, tape, staples). I have another area with construction paper so that kids can get it themselves. I do not put out all of my other art supplies until they have learned how to use the supplies mentioned above.

I kept the stuff on my walls to a minimum. I hardly had anything on the walls at the start of the year. I wanted to put things up that had meaning to the students (not just pretty stuff). I had my ABC and number line up and that was it.

Have lots of sharpened pencils but do not put them all out.

Keep in mind that everything you do takes longer - so the more you practice procedures, the stronger your classroom management will be.

Feel free to ask more specific questions.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 08-04-2018, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

• Don't put anything on their desks the first day that you don't want them to take home.
  • Show them every detail of what you want them to do, and practice.
  • Use visual cues/pictures on rules and procedures that you post.
  • Never tie a shoe. Have another student show them how.
  • Less is more. Keep trinkets and posters to a minimum.
  • Expect to practice lining up fora full five minutes before going anywhere the first couple of weeks
  • Speak softly and they will speak softly.
  • If you have bathroom passes, have students put them on their desks when they go to the restroom instead of taking them to the restroom with them.

There has been some discussion about this next one here on PT. I like to tear out workbook pages and sort them by page number (at the beginning of the year, especially) That way, I can pass out papers each day as we need them. Some first grade teachers prefer to give them the whole workbook, and just work a page at a time. That just has never worked for me. Pages get colored on, torn out, lost, etc. I tear them out, sort them, and file them in my file cabinet. Then I just pull out the needed file folder and pass them as needed.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

surprising..
Old 08-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ive taught 1st gr. for 12 yrs.
They will surprise you in so many ways.
They will be so mature in some ways (social, academic) and so immature in other ways (social, academic) IKR!?

1st 2 weeks of school- go over procedures, procedures, procedures. Practice lining up, using bathroom, washing hands, drying hands, closing lockers, hanging up back packs, how you want pencil exchanges to work, putting away library books, turning in papers, EVERYTHING!!! And, show how you DO NOT want it done. Have the kids show the right way and the WRONG way to do these things...talk about each step.

Don't worry about your curriculum until the 3rd week of school- seriously!

Enjoy these kids! I can answer specifics if you wish to ask too.
PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote