English Teachers: help with one period Tempest lesson? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

High School

English Teachers: help with one period Tempest lesson?

>

urbanstruggle

English Teachers: help with one period Tempest lesson?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I am starting Brave New World with my 12th graders this week. Every time I teach this novel, I always wish my kids would have a frame of reference for understanding The Tempest, since it is alluded to so heavily that it's almost an homage in some instances. I am looking for a short powerpoint or video that would give them the main idea, theme, overarching plot and maybe like 3 main characters (don't want to bog them down with details - just really want them to understand it from like a "talking about themes reminiscent of The Tempest when someone else mentions it.") Does anyone have a resource or a direction to point me in? Thanks!

PS: I would love to teach The Tempest but we really don't have time in the curriculum and they read Hamlet for their Shakespeare play this semester.

urbanstruggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about Clifs Notes? Do those still exist?
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Spark Notes???
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

urbanstruggle

Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, I've checked both of those but they seem very involved in the story and not as easy to get a "big picture" view from. i was hoping there might be a video somewhere but i'll keep looking! thanks for the replies

Sariana

Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a 110-minute movie on Netflix. Maybe you cold suggest the students watch the movie? (It's PG-13, so it should be okay for HSers.)

I've never read that play--or that book for that matter. Terrible (former) English teacher, I know.

Can you just make your own PowerPoint?

urbanstruggle

I am also a terrible English teacher :)
Old 09-27-2013, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

because I, too, have never read the play! thanks for the film tip though! I have netflix

Sariana

Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How did it go? Are they enjoying the book?

Sorry about my typo (AutoCorrect) in my Netflix post.

Quote:
I have a 110-minute movie on Netflix.
I have no idea what I meant to type, but I don't "have" any movies on Netflix! I wish! I can't figure out how even AutoCorrect could change found to have, though.

urbanstruggle

we're done reading Brave New World now
Old 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It was really polarizing - students either loved it or hated it, which made for great discussion! even the kids who disliked it had to admit it was not boring, so yay!

Since I treat my senior English class like an AP class, I ended up finding a chapter of a college level text that made reference to The Tempest and talked about colonialism and imperialism. it was a great bridge to our next read, The Poisonwood Bible, which is heavy on both of those themes.

My students were able to connect how the savages in Brave New World were viewed as uncivilized in much the same way as the Irish and the indigenous peoples of Africa, Asia and the Americas. They then had some discussions about imperialist attitudes, Christianity being used to justify exploiting "heathen" populations, etc, which will start them thinking about The Poisonwood Bible, since it is about a preacher and his family doing missionary work to the "heathens" in a Congolese village.

The chapter is from Ronald Takaki's A Different Mirror and it is called "Tempest in the Wilderness" for those who are curious. I found a pdf online that I was able to make copies from. I made my own discussion questions.