Help

High School

Flipped

>

Rt2learn

Flipped
Old 11-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have a "Flipped" classroom? If you do, could you please explain how you do it.

What type of technology do you use with your students?

How long is your lesson?

Do you create your own lesson or do you use something that's on YouTube or something else?

What are the pros/cons?

Have you seen a difference in your students since you have started doing your instruction this way?

I'm not sure that I want to do this but have heard a lot of discussion on it.

Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsChem

Flipped Chemistry Class
Old 11-25-2013, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My chemistry classroom is flipped. I have a website where I post step-by-step, learn-as-you-go powerpoints. Each class, I do a quick review of what the students should have learned from the slides. Then we do a half-hour of examples. This can be in groups or individual work. This is my first year with a flipped classroom, and I'm getting a lot more practice in with the students than I would normally.

To answer your questions:

Most of my students have iPads or other tablets. Some of them pull the slides up while in class and make notations on them while I speak.

My school is on an 8-day cycle. I see my students for 40 minutes 5 times a cycle, and then once for 60 minutes, 30 minutes, and 33 minutes. I try to keep the lesson review down to 10 minutes or less. I don't count guided practice as part of the lesson review.

All my lessons are my own. My school is iffy about allowing us to make videos on YouTube.

Pros are that I don't have to waste time watching the students take notes. There's a lot less down-time for both the students and myself. I get more practice done in class and don't have to run practice sessions before and after school anymore. The cons are I have some students who will just not even look at the powerpoints and are proud of it.

I find that I have fewer students failing chemistry so far. Those who are failing have admitted that they do not study or read the powerpoints. I used to get the excuse that we didn't do enough practice in class and that they didn't want to do the extra sessions before and after school. Now I can point to the fact that we did four hours of making compounds practice in class when parents and students complain about failing.
MrsChem is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 11-26-2013, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your response. I never thought about using powerpoint, just video. You have given me a lot think about and will use this weekend to ponder how I can do it. I do appreciate you sharing what you do in your classroom. I hope others will post some ideas.

NCLATeacher

Flipped
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know what subject you teach, but there have been several discussion on flipped classrooms on The English Companion Ning. Even if you aren't an English teacher, you may find some of the conversations worthwhile.

I've thought about trying it, but I have too many students without technology for it to be effective.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do teach English. Thanks for the suggestion of English Companion Ning. I would definitely head over there to see what else I can find.

SpecialAnne

Old 11-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district offers many trainings on flipped classroom. I am Sped so I haven't jumped onto that boat yet...my daughter has a couple classes and she really likes it!
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote