High School

Reading for 9/10'English

>

Edtechjunkie

Reading for 9/10'English
Old 08-03-2015, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all

Any of you English teachers have suggested reading for freshman and sophomore Emglish? I sorta remember To Kill a Mockingbird and Romeo and Juliet....is there any other novels or must reads for these grades??

This is my first year teaching this level

Edtechjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

What textbook do you have?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There should be several good short stories to use - The Scarlet Ibis, The Most Dangerous Game, Harrison Bergeron. The 9th grade textbook should contain excerpts from The Odyssey and Romeo and Juliet. I also teach To Kill a Mockingbird and then I rotate a different novel in each year.

I think that 10 grade is usually Lord of the Flies and Macbeth.

You best bet is to check with the district to see if there is a pacing guide or planned curriculum units. Ask the department chair or look on the district webpage.

Good luck.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

platypus

Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do To Kill a Mockingbird with my sophomores and Lord of the Flies with my freshmen.

Freshmen also read Romeo and Juliet and sophomores read Julius Caesar. Those are the Shakespeare plays in their literature books for their freshmen and sophomore year.

And then we read a lot of short stories.

We use Elements of Literature and I actually love the freshmen and sophomore books. There are a lot of great stories in them. I'm not too crazy about the 7th and 8th grade version though.
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

varies by system
Old 08-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our system they read Romeo/Juliet, Lord of the Flies in 9th and also Siddhartha (either 9 or 10). 9th grade does a lot of classic short stories also like The Lottery, Metamorphosis, etc. See if your district has a list of what is expected for those grade levels.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Edtechjunkie

Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i just signed my contract today. I don't have keys yet and probably won't until next week. I know we use the Princeton Hall anthologies but haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.

Soon I hope

Edtechjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

newer books
Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know you probably have more traditional books in mind, but two short, newer novels that would be excellent are "Witness" by Karen Hesse, and "Seedfolks" by Paul Fleishman. "Witness" deals with racial issues in New England and "Seedfolks" has to do with people of all sorts starting a garden in - um, I think Cleveland, but I could be wrong.

If you consider a drama, Cyrano de Bergerac is good and there's always a Shakespeare play. "A Midsummer Night's Dream" does well at that age.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

newteacher9

Readings
Old 08-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I always teach To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, and then a variety of short stories.

I know some teachers teach I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, though that has some scenes that parents may not want their kids reading.

My district has also approved of The Hobbit for freshmen reading, so that might be an option for you.
newteacher9 is offline   Reply With Quote