Help

High School

Can't get them off cell phones

>

SpedTeacherHS

Can't get them off cell phones
Old 04-22-2015, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an Exceptional Children's Teacher and I am consistently getting complaints from General Education teachers about my students who will not put down their cell phones. They text in class, take calls, watch videos, and refuse to get off of the phone. They plug them into outlets in class or computers (against school policy). I need some suggestions to give to the teacher. These students are habitual offenders who do not seem to care if they get written up and sent to the office for this offense. They refuse to relinquish their phones and I do not know what to tell these teachers. Advice?

SpedTeacherHS is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do the students behave like that for you?
ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I must have missed the part about
Old 04-22-2015, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

why this is your problem...Why is it YOUR issue if it is happening in their classrooms?

Students on an IEP, gifted or disabled/delayed, are only protected for behaviors directly related to their (dis)abilities.... In all other cases, the student follows the same rules with appropriate consequences as any other student. What happens if other students get caught with their phones? Are the phones taken, parents called, what?

Quote:
These students are habitual offenders who do not seem to care if they get written up and sent to the office for this offense. They refuse to relinquish their phones
Why do these students have this power over their consequences? Even an IEP was not meant to "protect" them from the consequences of bad behavior or poor choices in this case.

Whatever the case may be--to my mind, it falls to that classroom teacher and/or appropriate admin...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

phones
Old 04-24-2015, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine use their phones a lot as a part of my class. We use Twitter, text, emails, research, etc on their phones. They are only supposed to use them for business purposes, but sometimes they break that rule. I look at it this way: if they are on their phones goofing off, then they are not getting their work done, and it will come out in the grade.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Mr nom nom

Mr nom nom

This might help
Old 04-26-2015, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wrote this big post on what you can do but my account got suspended because of my username. I will be brief in this one because I do not feel like typing all that again

for students that take calls in class: make them answer on speaker phone, if they get embarrassed they will not do it again

for students that text in class and do other things: I am not sure what grade you teach and if the students will be capable for this (seriously 5 year olds are walking around with IPhones) Give them an essay. You extra homework and this opportunity to your advantage. Most of the type of kids that do not listen to teachers do not like extra homework so they will likely just put their device away rather than do extra work for marks.

For example make them write an essay on "How do you preventing the use on electronic devices in class will effect a student's grade?"

It does not have to be that it can be any topic which the student will probably learn from. after writing the essay likely they will not use their device in class anymore in fear of writing another.

another topic could be "Respect" it's simple but I think it is a case of respect that the students would not listen to their teachers and put their devices away: being obedient.

Hope this helped

teabreak

Same boat
Old 04-26-2015, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

And I got tired of being pulled from my co-teaching classes to take care of technology issues with students on IEP.

I finally went to one teacher who was notorious about calling me out of class. I asked her what her procedures were for students that were not on an IEP. She told me and I said, "Well, there you go. That is your answer for any student. You can't discriminate against students on an IEP if they don't have a behavior plan for this." I basically told her that this was under her classroom management and to treat the student on an IEP like she would any other. Now mind you, all of the students, IEP or not, were using phones and technology in her class at one time or another. She just wanted me to remove these kids as she didn't care for them. Could that be the underlying issue?
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Angie

Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My own kids are in HS and their phones are confiscated for 3 days. If they want them back sooner, they have to pay a fee.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

jmills

Old 05-22-2015, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We allowed them in school and now have to suffer. They need to be outlawed in schools. There is no educational need for them and even if you can come up with one they can do it on a computer.
jmills is offline   Reply With Quote

Pathan

It's up to the teacher.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our phone policy is somewhat 'loose'. Technically, they're supposed to be in their lockers, but under our BYOD policy, too many are trying to use their iPhones to complete assignments and so on, despite our school being reasonably stocked with devices they can access. Its basically up to each teacher to decide.

I have a policy of 'If I see or hear your phone, you'll get one warning. After that, it goes to the main office for the rest of the day.' I'm known by students for sticking to this, so I rarely have trouble with not only my own classes, but also classes where I might be doing relief work in the school.

The policy is NO different for students who are operating on IEPs, and habitual offenders who want to make an issue of 'Please put your phone away' requests from teachers are 'dealt with' by senior staff.

Surely, if the school has a policy about the use of phones, and students are being defiant about it, senior staff are obliged to provide support - ie phone is handed to the grade co-ordinator at the beginning of the day; or an agreement is negotiated, with support from senior staff, that phone is turned off during class times.

We have a duty to ensure students understand that in MANY work places, phones not only are a no-no, they are actually a danger and are not permitted at all in the work area.
Pathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Stupidbaker

Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

At a Friday night gathering of new teachers, one spoke up saying "Phones are killing it!"
It seemed they were.
But I really don't know. I am stupidbaker. From what people say, it is always the teacher's fault. I try to see it that way. But after all the thinking, honestly, I think the problem is administration and classroom management. Now days acquisition of academics, exercise, etc. is lost to time for more management.
I recall an example. After I called a parent about a student with a cell phone out in class, first the counselor, then the principal came to my room. From the parent phone call, I had no idea the parent had become irate. After telling my side, the counselor shouted in the air that the student was a pathological liar. Then the principal visited later and explained there was nothing we could do about phones in the classroom. The parents want to be able to keep in touch.
The next summer I tried hard to find another job, but ran into all kinds of time and financial problems. I had to return to that school. I really didn't want to go back. It was a horrible school. The turn over was high.
The next year I encouraged a teacher friend to quit her English teaching job and apply and help me at the school I was stuck with for another year. She got a job at my new school. She was reluctant, but an expert in education and a great friend. Compared to me, she was a social genius. She was planning on retiring from teaching, but she loved the area and had always kind of wanted to give that school (my school where I was stuck) a try. She graduated near the top in her high school class, graduated from a very prestigious university, taught for over 30 years. In her previous school, in a socio-economically depressed community, she was the only teacher who had 100% of her students make AYP. I recommended her (at my school) and she got hired to teach English.
The students hated her and she was nearly run out of the new school. She completed the year, but it was difficult. It seemed like she was constantly trying to put out little fires - on the phone with community leaders, on the phone with the State Dept.of Education, on the phone with Exceptional Education Departments, at meetings with the principal and parents. She rarely left by 7 pm until the school admin.required everyone out of the building by 5 pm. She resigned - effective the end of the school year, but still was swamped with stuff. Besides me, no one ever apologized to her, no one seemed to recognize her efforts, no administration, no teacher, no one ever showed any appreciation.

But I really don't know who is right. I am stupidbaker. I think the problem is administration and classroom management. Now days acquisition of academics, exercise, etc. is lost to time for more management.
I don't know. Maybe all the management concentration is good. Now days, everyone wants to be a manager. Maybe all this will rub off on the students - maybe that is good.

Last edited by Stupidbaker; 08-14-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Stupidbaker is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 02-23-2016, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had a jammer in my old classroom, if this was a constant problem for you, the $100 investment may be worth it for you, just hide it in the room and their phones are useless. of course if you use a lot of wireless tech in your class this may be a problem, but it might be worth a try...
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 02-28-2016, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I subbed in a large district Friday, and the cell phone usage was nearly 100%. I don't know how the teachers can deal with what is almost educational babysitting at that point. Also youtube was as best I could tell unfiltered. Every student was on earbuds, on their phone calling texting or listening to music, or on a computer with youtube videos in the background while they were on the assignment (part time). I had a Para for each class, and this was the norm. i would not last long at this school, and outside a few teachers, it looked pretty stressful to the staff.

as to the OP I would lobby the principal to drill down on these students who are abusing it, and since they are in other classes when it occurs, perhaps cellphone jammers could be suggested for their classrooms?
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Tch HS 9-12

Tch HS 9-12

Cell Phones
Old 02-29-2016, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When you get a workable solution, let me know. I fight it every day in my general ed. classes with all studentsd.

faria1

Old 03-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have solved this problem in my classroom. I built a parking lot for phones with 40 numbered slots. The desks are numbered and so is my seating chart. First day of school we go over the rules: Walk in, park your phone and go learn. Once they are doing some quiet assignment I go over to the parking lot and check which slots are empty and I doc participation points. I have been doing this for 2 years and it changed everything. I can send you a picture if you want.
faria1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wntd2TchUni

I have created a "parking lot"
Old 07-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

but I would love to see others in use.

This will be my third year teaching. I have gotten rid of oddly-shaped tables and chairs in favor of rows of "old-school" desks. I will still be doing just as much group work, but I think this will help differentiate when individual work is to be done.

...it will also be harder for them to sneak their phones. It was a grade-level issue and as we banded together as grade-level teachers, and LOGGED these instances for each other on a Google Sheet, we were able to see that Little Miss had her phone on another teacher's desk for 1st hour, so in my 5th hour, her phone went to the office instead. Worked wonders as long as everyone held each student accountable.

To cut off the urge to use their phone on a day where we are, say, I don't know... taking the final... I think this parking lot will prove extremely useful.
Wntd2TchUni is offline   Reply With Quote

13Flamingo

Old 08-01-2016, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Illegal to use...be careful.
13Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote